Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe. (Read 1573 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
Reply #90 - 03/01/17 at 13:00:54

Use germanium diodes instead of the others.
They have a voltage drop of .75v instead of 1.5v

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #91 - 03/01/17 at 18:58:03

Thanks Versy ,  I must be way to predictable. Cause you know I'm headed to the garage to check that !!!

Where do you buy them?

Might make my tail lights brighter with another .75 volts !?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #92 - 03/06/17 at 07:00:27

I worked a bit on the bike over the weekend.  I got the headlight and wring all done on the front.

I wanted a way to be able to secure the wires inside the headlight bucket, and I didn't have any of the little metal straps that would fit the 8mm headlight bolts.  I decided I could fabricate some using 14 gauge copper wire, and the insulation could be left on.  I stripped a bit of insulation, formed the copper wire around the bolt, then soldered the wires together so it would stay in a loop when I tightened the nut.

I then installed the new wire ties to the headlight mounting bolts, then put the wires where they were somewhat organized, and got ready to put the headlight in.  You can see in the upper right of the bucket the 2 red wires that go into a black heat shrink tubing and a single blue wire coming out the top......that is the turn signal diode that allows me to use a single indicator light for both turn signals.

The front end is now done.  The rear tail light/turn signal controller should arrive today, and I can get that wired in this week.  I am also going to modify the inner fender a bit - it won't do a very good job at keeping water from the rear wheel from being thrown up into the frame under the seat.  The stock rear fender had a lot better fender that wrapped around the back of the frame rails to keep the water from being thrown forward.....the new fender has a 1/2" gap on both side.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #93 - 03/24/17 at 05:36:18

I haven't posted much....the last 12 days I was waiting for an order from Bike Bandit to arrive.  It was shipped on the 11th and was a "USPS 2 day" package.....for some reason it took 12 days to arrive!  It had a new air filter and I couldn't assemble things until it arrived.

The headlight looks a bit goofy in the photo - it appears to stick out too far, and it doesn't look as bad in person.  I may look for a way to get shorter arms and move the headlight back and down a bit if the look bothers me over the summer.  I also don't like the little black panels that are on the front of the fuel tank - the permanent repair before painting will be to weld in metal and cover up the areas where the fairing used to mount.

I have to put the mirrors on, install new brake pads in the front, add anti-freeze and fuel....and it will be ready to test ride!  I sat on the seat and bounced around....the new oil in the front forks seems to have tightened them up a bit....and the newer rear shock from the later 250 Ninja has firmed up that end - I do believe it will ride better as the suspension seemed a bit soft previously.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #94 - 03/24/17 at 09:03:55

lookin great

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #95 - 06/15/17 at 09:34:10

The lines are very familiar... (Moto Guzzi v7)
Kawa should take a lesson... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Danmiller369
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 06/15/17 at 11:54:52

nice

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #97 - 06/15/17 at 15:18:15

Your hooked on motorcycles when your seriously thinking about the Motoguzzi. I always thought they were weird and now they look like a work of art to me. I like the V7 Specials they have that look like they haven't changed in 30 years !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #98 - 06/15/17 at 20:19:47

The baby ninja looks just like the Guzzi Racer model

Foam filters deliver more air than paper or gauze and that's more than enough to lean out a EPA/ARB emissions carb.

I'm sure someone makes a trick carb set for it or a custom manifold with one BIG carb !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #99 - 01/16/19 at 05:41:09

It has been a while since I updated this thread.

I finally got the engine to run well again.  I bought a good set of used carbs from a last generation of the EX250, and they have different slide needles than the early models.....not sure if that is what helped cure the problem.  I bumped up the main set a couple sizes and shimmed the needles 2 washers when I mounted them - and the bike runs well again.  I don't know what was wrong with the other carbs - maybe they are just getting old and are very sensitive to the slide diaphragm getting old and stiff.  The running problem seems to be related to a very lean condition that occurs at a steady cruising speed - when a gust of wind comes along and slows the bike down......it feels like the slide doesn't react and the engine goes into a lean surge condition.  Whatever the issue...the replacement carbs fixed the problem.

I rode the little Ninja down to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle event in Birmingham Alabama.  The first day I rode down to Lynchburg, TN and spent the night with MMRanch, the next day I rode down to Auburn, AL and spent the night with Stewmills, the following day we rode to Birmingham and spent the day at Barber's, then on Saturday night and Sunday I finished the ride home.....it was a bit over 1,400 miles!

The stock seat is not adequate for long rides, and I had a 1" thick foam pad taped to the seat....my butt still got horribly tired by the 4th day of riding.

This is what the stock seat from Blue Collar Bobber looks like.  It is rounded and has padding in the middle, but very little on the edges where my buns contact the seat.

The Blue Collar Bobber seat pan is a thick piece of steel and is pretty heavy - so I decided to build my own seat pan.  I put 2 sided carpet tape on the frame, fuel tank and rear fender/body - then put cardboard on the tape in the shape I wanted the seat bottom to be.  I then put packing tape over the cardboard to work as a bond breaker and allow the seat pan to be pulled off the cardboard once the resin had cured.  I put 2 layers of fiberglass cloth down first:

Then to get better stiffness I cut strips of PVC molding and heated them in my oven at 215 degrees - then bent them into shape while they were still warm.  The PVC cools and gets stiff very quickly, you have to bend them very fast and work them into shape with 4-5 heating cycles.  I then epoxied the PVC strips into place.

I soldered a stainless nut onto a large washer for the seat mounting bolt, and I epoxied the nut and washer to the seat pan.  I then put pieces of the corrugated plastic yard signs that I had cut to fill in the space between the PVC reinforcement, and then placed a couple of layers of fiberglass "mat" over the PVC.  I learned that the matt did not want to make the sharp bends over the PVC, and it would have been better to use the mat on the flat bottom, and the fiberglass cloth over the PVC reinforcements.....and the PVC pieces should have been rounded to allow the fiberglass cloth to make the bends easier.

The seat pan ended up a bit thicker than heavier than I imagined - but it is incredibly strong.....I could have made it a bit thinner and lighter and it would have been fine.  The top ended up being a bit lumpy and uneven....but the foam that gets glued onto the pan won't care.

Here is a piece of black plastic pulled over the seat to show the shape I am working for - the seat will be flat from side to side and provide more padding on the edges.

I will take the finished seat pan up to Ronny Price upholstery and have them add the padding and sew a new cover.

« Last Edit: 01/17/19 at 04:14:42 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #100 - 02/15/19 at 05:20:28

The end of an era.....my beloved little Ninja has been sold.

It was a fun little bike to own, and I put about 10,000 miles on it in the 4 years I owned it.  I took hundreds of short local rides on it, ran lots of errands, hauled it to TN/NC/GA about 4 times for weekend rides, rode it on a 1,400 mile trip to visit MM, Stewmills and the Barber Vintage Motorcycle days in Birmingham, AL.

In hindsight I should have just ridden the wheels off of it in the stock form and not done the Cafe' conversion - it was not financially rewarding to buy the kit and install it....but it did make the bike look more appropriate for the kind of guy I am (not a sport bike wannabe).  Still.....I didn't lose a ton of money and got some really good riding out of it.  A nice young "first time" rider bought it......I hope he enjoys it as much as I did.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #101 - 02/15/19 at 07:07:12

There are very few bikes in my past where I wish I never sold them. Usually when I make the decision to sell a bike it is not missed. Hopefully you got what you wanted from this one...and enjoy the next one.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #102 - 02/15/19 at 09:16:03

Dave , you have done the motorcycling world a service --- there is now a "New Rider" out there somewhere due to your sacrifice .     Wink

and

Now ya got room on the carport for that Royal Endfield Himalaya  !   Grin

Himalayan.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #103 - 02/15/19 at 13:18:06

Nope, a Royal Enfield is not in my plans....the used BMW F800GT was the reason the little Ninja is gone.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #104 - 02/15/19 at 18:20:10

This one ?

f_800_gt.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 21:11:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.