Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe. (Read 1573 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
Reply #30 - 01/30/17 at 08:16:41

You are giving me ideas for my build...

I have been toying with the idea of building up black wheels but I thought that they would look out of place with all of the aluminum. Powder coating the swing arm may do the trick.

Dave, are you going retain the mag wheels or will you be lacing up some (proper) wire wheels?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 01/30/17 at 09:05:17

Gary:

The wheels are going to remain the dark cast wheels....not sure how to get spoked hubs that would work on this bike, and it currently has 16" wheels (which does limit tire choice to the same Pirelli Sport Demons or Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 that are available for the 18" wheels I use on my Savage Cafe').

I am not going to use the overly large front tire they sent with this kit...it makes the bike look like the Harley "48", and the 120/80-16 tire is way too wide for the narrow 2.15x16 front rim.

I am also not going to use the bottom mount headlight, instrument cluster or turn signal mount....the stuff is just too heavy and bulky looking.  I will use the Trailtech Vaper digital speedometer that I originally had on my Savage Cafe' (it is free), and I bought a 7" sidemount headlight and arms to use.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #32 - 01/30/17 at 09:52:12

Looking forward to seeing this thing come together.  

Here's another nice little Ninja: http://altenergyautos.blogspot.com/2013/12/kawasaki-ninja-250-gets-retro-redo...

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #33 - 01/30/17 at 12:41:39

ohiomoto wrote on 01/30/17 at 09:52:12:

It's cool looking. I think the only thing left from the original bike is the motor though.  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 01/30/17 at 12:46:15

Yep......I am going the easy route on the Ninja project.  A bolt-on kit (mostly), and it will be back on the road.  I don't want a project that will take too much time or money on the little Ninja - I just don't want it to look like a bright green sport bike any longer.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #35 - 01/31/17 at 04:49:15

BSTON wrote on 01/30/17 at 12:41:39:
It's cool looking. I think the only thing left from the original bike is the motor though.  Grin
----------------------------

Oh come on!!!  Parts of the frame and swingarm a surely original too!  LOL Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #36 - 01/31/17 at 07:41:29

That Scrambler is a handsome bike !   Tongue

I thought I had plenty of bikes till I seen it !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 01/31/17 at 08:11:31

MMRanch wrote on 01/31/17 at 07:41:29:
That Scrambler is a handsome bike !   Tongue

I can't help but think what a miserable engine this would be to ride "off-road" unless the dirt was really flat.  The engine has very little torque at low rpm.....then the thing comes alive between 8,000 - 14,000 rpm.

I believe there is a reason that most "off road" bikes smaller than 500cc have single cylinder engines.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 02/02/17 at 04:20:21

I got a bit of cleanup and powder coating done the last few days.  I decided to keep the existing chain and sprockets, as they really don't show any wear and likely have another 10-15 thousand miles left in them. The rear pulley had a black/green oxide looking corrosion protection, and the tensioner adjusters for the axle were corroded - so I powder coated those with the single stage chrome.....it doesn't look quite as much like chrome as the two stage does - but the finish is far less thick as it doesn't require a clear coat over the base (and for the best chrome look they use a black base layer, then the chrome, then a clear.....and that really is a thick coating).

The swing arm bearings I ordered were 1/3rd the prices of the factory parts and were ordered from Bearings123 that I found on the internet - unfortunately it is an international company and the parts are being shipped from France.....so they are taking a week to arrive.

Yesterday I got the 2012 shock which is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the shock used up until 2007 - it is in much better shape than the one that was on the bike and looks nearly new, and it is adjustable.  The suspension that came on the bike feels really soft....this is supposed to correct that in the rear, and it is a direct bolt on.

I will have a bit of a pause as I wait for the swing arm bearings, and i will be out of town next week.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 02/02/17 at 08:42:04

There is a warehouse in Longview, Longview Bearing Supply, they have bronze bushings, bearings, belts, lubricants, penetrating oil, tools,
I get bearings for the lawnmower deck for a few bucks, the same bearing from the lawnmower place is almost twenty bucks.

The old man next door worked in maintenance for the county and he put me onto the best places to get stuff. Odessa Texas was really a heck of a place years ago. I was talking about how easy it was to get about anything in Odessa, because during a few road trips I'd need someone that just wasn't to be had even in a decent sized town. Dad pointed out that the manufacture of drilling rigs, and all manner of oilfield related equipment meant that supplies, parts, etc, had to be available. He said
Odessa is the Warehouse to the World..
I don't think that's so true today,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 02/02/17 at 09:15:45

Cincinnati used to have Bearings Incorporated, and it was the place to get what you needed - they are gone, along with most of the neighborhood engine machine shops that fixed heads/valves/cranks/etc.  And the local Auto Parts store that used to carry the stuff that was made in the US/Canada.....is now selling the Chinese parts just like the Autozone/Advance/Pep Boys/O'Reillys does.

The only mistake I made in my bearing order was not shopping around a little bit.....the website has a US flag on it and I assumed it was going to send me stuff from a US warehouse.  

https://www.123bearing.com/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 02/02/17 at 09:55:15

I ordered from a site that had a white flag on a rifle.
Assembly instructions were in French.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 02/02/17 at 10:04:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/02/17 at 09:55:15:
I ordered from a site that had a white flag on a rifle.
Assembly instructions were in French.

I think I head about that rifle.

"Good condition, never fired.....only dropped once!"

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 02/02/17 at 22:02:42

Oui, oui, monsieur.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 02/03/17 at 04:55:26

Last night I cleaned up the for shock/swingarm linkage.  I was surprised to find that at 12,000 miles the bushings were a bit dry on grease, and there was some scuffing evident in the metal sleeves.  I cleaned them up and greased them, and put them back together - but I decided I am going to take them back part and install Zerk fittings so that I can use a grease gun on them.  I am not sure how well the grease fittings will function with the O-ring seals on the ends....if the grease will just ooze out while filling....or if it will try and push the O-rings out of place.....I suppose I can install one, put that part back together, and try pushing grease in it and see what happens.

I should have posted this photo previously.....this is the bike and the boxes from Blue Collar Bobber.  The parts were very well packed, wrapped and protected from damage.  I have a lot of respect for the way Blue Collar Bobber runs their business and the amount of time they have spent to make these projects go smoothly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 18:18:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.