Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe. (Read 1573 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
Reply #45 - 02/03/17 at 20:07:28

Hard to believe these are the same basic Bike !

NINJA-250-ARY-12.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #46 - 02/04/17 at 05:43:52

MMRanch wrote on 02/03/17 at 20:07:28:
Hard to believe these are the same basic Bike !

Because it's not. Look at the forks. The bike in the photo you've posted has had a front end swap and maybe a swing arm swap/mod. The laced wheels give it it the classic look, and the USD forks and brakes provide the aggressive looks. It all works very well together, but hardly an "awesome in a box" build.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #47 - 02/04/17 at 08:46:23

I still like the way it looks  Smiley .    A 500cc version might have me selling some calfs  !    Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #48 - 02/12/17 at 18:51:29

Dave , Are you gonna build a rad motor for it too ? Big bore , h/c piston, porting , pipes , bigger carb , bump stick. I like the looks kinda a cross between a standard , scrambler , tracker. Very cool ! Must be lots of aftermarket stuff available. Excited to watch your build !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 02/13/17 at 03:47:35

The bike I am building is not the gray scramble looking thing that folks have been posting.......I am building a Blue Collar Bobber Cafe' kit.  I am not using their large front tire, front fender, bottom mount headlight or the overly large speedo assembly - and I am not sure what I am going to do about paint yet.  It looks like this if you use everything in the kit.

No, hopping up the little Ninja motor shortens the engine life considerably....30 HP out of a 250cc engine is about all you can coax out and still get durability.  Left stock they can go a long time - one Ninja forum member got 87,000 miles on his first motor before the cam chain just got too long.....and it was cheaper and easier to just buy a good used motor than rebuild his high mileage engine.  The stock motor can push the little Ninja down the highway at 80 mph easily, and can get close to 80 mpg if you ride at normal speeds......it is best to accept the motor for what it is and just ride it.

Over the weekend I was able to push the new bearings in the powder coated swingarm, mount the new shock, get the back wheel on, install the side panels, and I got the headlight mounts on, and made turn signal mounts.  I also drained the fork oil and put new oil in.......the Factory Shop Manual says to use 10W-20 motor oil - but I could not find that so I used 5W-20....if that doesn't work well it is easy to change as the forks do have drain plugs.

The bike is somewhat hard to photograph in the garage with a cell phone....there is a lot of black.

« Last Edit: 02/13/17 at 15:00:49 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #50 - 02/13/17 at 19:28:15

I like the cafe racer just as much very sporty. Riding a under powered bike teaches better cornering & braking skills , due to the need to carry more speed thru the turns , less on brakes & back on throttle sooner. It's great fun , till you get passed by a guy on a DR650. What is target weight for it ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #51 - 02/13/17 at 19:31:10

If your good you will get him in the next turn !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 02/14/17 at 04:09:48

Most of my riding experience is on small HP bikes, and I like riding them.  When young I raced motocross and hare scrambles on a TM125 or TS90 Suzuki. My street legal bike was a Kawasaki 125 Enduro (F-6).  I really am very satisfied riding single on a bike that makes 30 HP....however recently I did buy a bigger bike so that I can ride double with the wife....and for taking on long road trips with gear.

The only thing the little Ninja lacks is torque....when riding in the hills around TN/NC the Ninja just can't pull out of steep uphill curves briskly....unless you drop down 2 or 3 gears while in the corner and keep the revs up over 8.000 rpm.  Most of the time I just don't feel the need to do that....instead I drop down 1 gear and just exit the corner and accelerate somewhat slowly out of the curve.  It does just fine everywhere else, and it s blast to ride.    

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #53 - 02/14/17 at 06:56:59

Looking good Dave.  Sorry I confused people with that Scrambler (or a cool looking standard, brat or whatever you want to call it.) 

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #54 - 02/14/17 at 10:04:49

Dave , Is it carbed or EFI , if it's carbed you have options  !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #55 - 02/14/17 at 10:52:09

Ruttly wrote on 02/14/17 at 10:04:49:
Dave , Is it carbed or EFI , if it's carbed you have options  !

It has carbs, and it is re-jetted and it runs smooth as silk.  I am not going to do any engine modifications.....I am just going to ride it and put miles on it!  A little 250 twin just isn't very good at making low rpm torque.

What you have to understand is that the stock Savage engine is a big single, it makes 31 HP at 5,400 rpm and 37 ft/lbs of torque at 3,400 rpm.....it is really good at accelerating out of corners (especially with engine mods that bump up the HP and torque.....the stock Savage motor is in a very mild state of tune).  The little Ninja 250 makes 28 HP at 12,000 rpm, and only 14 ft. lbs of torque at 9.000 rpm - it has 38% of the torque of the Savage, and then only if the engine is at 9.000 rpm!  Below 8.000 rpm the engine runs smoothly - but it is not making very much torque or HP (but it can get 70+ mpg when ridden that way).  The little Ninja engine already is built to a pretty high state of tune from the factory...it has 12.4:1 compression, pretty wild cams, good intake/exhaust ports - and the rods and crank don't last long if you try to coax more power out of the motor.  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #56 - 02/14/17 at 14:58:07

I thought is was a single ! If it ain't broke don't fix it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 02/17/17 at 06:31:59

Last night I was able to work for a little while making a mount for the Trailtech Vapor.  The mount looks a bit bulky and heavy in the photo - but when it is cleaned up, painted black and the Vapor is mounted - it will blend in and not be so gaudy looking.

The plate is made out of aluminum so it is not very heavy - I may be able to drill some holes in the plate below the speedometer to lighten up the look.....I will wait until I get it shaped and the speedo housing mounted to decide how to lighten up the look.

Cutting this thing out on my metal bandsaw is a bit cumbersome as the blade is thick and you can't follow curves easily.  I did find out that you can easily drill large holes in the aluminum with a "spade bit" made for drilling large holes in wood!  The hole for the ignition switch was drilled with a 1-1/4" spade bit.

Cutting out openings in the interior is really cumbersome, and I had to use a handheld "scroll saw" to cut the square hole where the wires come out of the back of the speedo housing.  If I cut additional holes to make the appearance less bulky, I will have to drill holes to create the corners, then cut out the metal in between using that same hand held scroll saw.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #58 - 02/17/17 at 07:42:37

Spade bit?!   Good info.  

What plate did you use?  I've been working with some 3003 3/16 plate for my side panels and I'm thinking I might have gone overboard.  I used a jig saw to cut it but bending it might be more than I am up for.   I haven't annealed it yet, but I think it's going to prove pretty tough. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 02/17/17 at 08:43:54

The spade bit worked surprising well on the aluminum, the edges of the hole are very clean.  I did find a video on youtube that shows you that it does work (I didn't use any lube - but cut slowly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbRHWGgy5w

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 12:56:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.