Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Another Ryca Build Log (Read 2510 times)
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Another Ryca Build Log
Reply #15 - 11/29/13 at 05:30:12

Very very cool Cool.I'm in envy Tongue.I want a top tree like that.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #16 - 11/29/13 at 05:58:46

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving  Smiley

wambr wrote on 11/27/13 at 08:11:57:
wow! great work! it turns out a very serious project!
more words yet. Smiley

Thank you Wambr.

ToesNose wrote on 11/28/13 at 04:48:21:
Gerry looks like you have a killer shop as well as a killer build going!  Thanks for sharing with us, looking forward to following your progress   Wink

Thank you ToesNose.

Demin wrote on 11/29/13 at 05:30:12:
Very very cool Cool.I'm in envy Tongue.I want a top tree like that.

Thank you Demin.

old_rider wrote on 11/28/13 at 05:00:12:
Gerry, if the speedo cable is causing problems.... why not go digital on the speedo and get rid of the cable?  It would also make your dash smaller... but after all that work on your current setup...sigh...

Just a thought, after seeing dave's setup on his and you saying how you didn't want it up in the way. Take a peek at dave's dash setup with the digital vipertech speedo guage. Its on page 4 of "dave's thumpin' special" build.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938/45

Hi old_rider,
going with a different speedo w/o a hard cable is not a bad idea for sure.  I do appreciate the input.  But I really like the look of analog gauges.

I went through Dave's build log thread last nite, what a cool bike that is, truly individual and very well done.

I was out in the shop yesterday and mounted the dash assembly on the bike in the position I was originally going for when I discovered the interference problems with the headlight.

This is by far my favorite location, now if I can just make it work  Smiley
So at this point here is a short list of alternative plans I am going to explore in the next few days (not in any particular order)... 
Move stock headlight forward. (don't think this will work though)
Look at trying to put more of a bend in the end of the speedo cable or looking for a 90° adapter for the cable/ speedo intersection. (seems like I have seen something like that adapter before and that would be cool but would probably be more obtrusive than just the end of the cable)
How about something like this...

I think that would be the ultimate, put a smoke windscreen on it and mount the head light in the fairing.  A fairing would make it easier to hide the rats nest of stuff around and behind the headlight.  I would love to try and figure that out, mounting and making brackets and so on.
But that is kind of expensive when you add a windscreen.
Another thing I want to investigate is maybe keeping the analog tach and going with a digital speedo?  old_rider got me thinking about that while I was writing this post.  Smiley  Put all that in a different shaped dash along with the indicator lights.  Make the tach the prominent part of the dash.

It is kind of cold out in the garage today so I will probably spend a few hours in the shop and perhaps model that up in CAD and post my results later.
Thanks for reading,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 11/29/13 at 06:57:20

After looking around on the net and on ebay, I thought of something (big dog cycles worded it and got my attention).
If you like the looks of your housings, keep them, but put a digital speedo INSIDE your mechanical speedo housing!  think that would work?? could you do it?
You would have to take them apart and fab some inner mounts to hold the digital led face up against the glass and make a backround facing to cover the excess area.
Just another idea to help save space if possible and get rid of that cable, the fairing thing sounds kind of interesting and ebay has so many cheap sales. I once purchased a sport bike fender and fabbed it to fit on my supermoto....

P.S.  I like the speedo housing where you have it in the last pic...somehow it looks like it belongs there.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/30/13 at 11:12:54

What an awesome job you're doing! This looks amazing.

I definitely think the instrument cluster you have looks awesome, and it belongs where you have it mounted in that last photo.

Have you thought about looking for a different headlight and bucket?
Something smaller, maybe? Or just something that isn't as deep?

I definitely think that fairing will fit the bill; takes care of the headlight, and hides the mess. I know it's $, but it sure would look the business!
Perhaps you could scour Ebay for something like it that you could modify?

IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/30/13 at 14:24:58

Completely awesome my friend. Ever though about getting together with Ryca about incorporating some of your ideas?

BTW can not wait to see what you do with the fairing.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #20 - 12/01/13 at 07:15:13

old_rider wrote on 11/29/13 at 06:57:20:
After looking around on the net and on ebay, I thought of something (big dog cycles worded it and got my attention).
If you like the looks of your housings, keep them, but put a digital speedo INSIDE your mechanical speedo housing!  think that would work?? could you do it?
You would have to take them apart and fab some inner mounts to hold the digital led face up against the glass and make a backround facing to cover the excess area.
Just another idea to help save space if possible and get rid of that cable, the fairing thing sounds kind of interesting and ebay has so many cheap sales. I once purchased a sport bike fender and fabbed it to fit on my supermoto....

P.S.  I like the speedo housing where you have it in the last pic...somehow it looks like it belongs there.

Hi old_rider,
you got me thinking about just using the tach and then mount a digital led speedo in the dash so I did some web surfing looking for something to adapt and wasn't really satisfied with what I found.  

I tried to take the speedo apart when I discovered that the trip odometer re-set knob would not just simply pull away from the stem I thought it was mounted on.  I don't think these gauges are meant to come apart, not with out damage I think.

Thanks for the ideas though, I really do appreciate any input.

teabowl13 wrote on 11/30/13 at 11:12:54:
What an awesome job you're doing! This looks amazing.

I definitely think the instrument cluster you have looks awesome, and it belongs where you have it mounted in that last photo.

Have you thought about looking for a different headlight and bucket?
Something smaller, maybe? Or just something that isn't as deep?

I definitely think that fairing will fit the bill; takes care of the headlight, and hides the mess. I know it's $, but it sure would look the business!
Perhaps you could scour Ebay for something like it that you could modify?

Thank you for the kind comments teabowl13.

I was looking at this headlight from DimeCity
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Not sure how that would look on the bike though.  I may just order that light and see how it scales on the bike... budget is pretty much blown though  Sad
And speaking of budget... I think a fairing would be awesome...  But I think maybe I'll wait til next fall and I might try to do one on this bike.

Thanks again for your input.

Ragnar444 wrote on 11/30/13 at 14:24:58:
Completely awesome my friend. Ever though about getting together with Ryca about incorporating some of your ideas?

BTW can not wait to see what you do with the fairing.

Thank you Ragnar444.

I don't think I'll ask Ryan or Casey if they are interested in any thing I'm doing but I will send them some photo's of the finished bike and if they ask me about it I would consider it.

Hope your build is going well.

Here is a little up date on my "plan B" for the dash.
I got to thinking that the way the guy's at Ryca layed out their gauges on the little powder coated brackets was really pretty clean and put the bottom of the speedo in a location that allowed some clearance for the speedo cable and headlight.  They have the gauges mounted from the bottom whereas I had mine mounted just below the top of the gauges.  This put the bottom of my gauges further down in the way of the headlight.
so I re-designed my whole assembly.
Here are some screen caps of the model in CAD.

I made the indicator light housing pretty similar to the previous one but changed the outside profile and added a spacer with a pocket in it to raise the whole thing up to almost level with the top surface of the gauges.

I am going to dig through my aluminum pile and see if I got stock to begin machining this version today.
I think I will also start sorting out the wiring on the bike and see where I need to add wire to the loom and also position the ignition switch some place other than the tank.
Thanks for reading
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 12/05/13 at 04:32:51

Gerry:

Welcome to the build and rebuild....try and retry......make and remake club!  On several occasions I built something and then found out it was not going to work well, and had to start over.  I first mounted my Trailtech Vapor speedo above the top yoke - then had to remake a mount to go under the top yoke once I saw how far the speedo stuck up in the air.  Then I tried making a rear brake rod that went over the swing arm.....it looked weird so I then made one that worked like the RYCA rod.  I originally tried making a license place bracket that held the plate vertical - but there was not enough room for suspension travel so I mounted the plate in the normal horizonatal method.  The rear brake light and turns signals were not bright enough....so I added supplemental lighting.  The most recent change was to make the compression release lever functional......I needed a larger lever to get enough leverage.

It is a fun and rewarding process.....but sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it right!

You have a better start on this than I did, it was the middle of January when I started to take my stock Savage apart.  When warm weather hit I was still in my garage working.....it was torture hearing motorcycles go up and down my road while I was still in the garage working.  My maiden voyage was on May 12th....about 4 months of work.

Keep at it.......I promise the riding is every bit as fun as the building!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #22 - 12/05/13 at 06:34:28

Dave wrote on 12/05/13 at 04:32:51:
Gerry:

Welcome to the build and rebuild....try and retry......make and remake club!  On several occasions I built something and then found out it was not going to work well, and had to start over.  I first mounted my Trailtech Vapor speedo above the top yoke - then had to remake a mount to go under the top yoke once I saw how far the speedo stuck up in the air.  Then I tried making a rear brake rod that went over the swing arm.....it looked weird so I then made one that worked like the RYCA rod.  I originally tried making a license place bracket that held the plate vertical - but there was not enough room for suspension travel so I mounted the plate in the normal horizonatal method.  The rear brake light and turns signals were not bright enough....so I added supplemental lighting.  The most recent change was to make the compression release lever functional......I needed a larger lever to get enough leverage.

It is a fun and rewarding process.....but sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it right!

You have a better start on this than I did, it was the middle of January when I started to take my stock Savage apart.  When warm weather hit I was still in my garage working.....it was torture hearing motorcycles go up and down my road while I was still in the garage working.  My maiden voyage was on May 12th....about 4 months of work.

Keep at it.......I promise the riding is every bit as fun as the building!

Thanks for the encouragement Dave.
I read through your build log the other nite.  Very nice, I admire how you strayed from the kit in various ways and made the bike your own.  I'm afraid I needed the kit format to get me started and hopefully stay on the project.  You don't know how many bikes I have bought in the past, disassembled just to sit in my garage for years only to be sold as basket case's  Smiley
I really enjoy the evolution process in designing something and making it work.  So re-doing is not so bad, however I have been seen staring at the wiring harness draped over the bike, looking at the manual wire diagram and wondering how in the heck am I going to get that back to working order  Grin  I learned that I need to take better pictures before tearing it apart  Grin
Oh well, one bridge at a time.
Gerry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 12/05/13 at 07:57:16

Gerry:

Oooh....the wiring.  That one did make me lose sleep a few nights.  In addition to taking out the decompression circuit, the clutch and sidestand safety switches....I also changed my handlebar controls to 7/8" and used a KLR right side and a GSXR 1000 left side.  I had to splice the wiring harnesses together, and I believe it was the most challenging part of my build.  It all seems to make sense while you are doing it.....but after cutting and splicing wires you begin to wonder how you will ever go back and trace what you did if things don't work?

The RYCA instructions are pretty clear and easy to understand, and help considerably.  I am sure that Ryan and Casey have inspired a lot of us to do the Cafe' bike conversion.......I know I would not have done it if they had not paved the way first.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #24 - 12/11/13 at 11:37:49

Hi all,
just a short update.  Been too cold out in the garage to work out there so I have been dinking around in the shop where it is some what warmer.

The other day when it was a little warmer in the garage I put the wire loom back on the bike, more or less.  I wanted to see if the lights on the new dash work and see if I had wired the Ryca tail light correctly so I connected the battery.  Every thing works, no fuses blew.  I just need to work on getting rid of the decompression relay, clip the green connector from the side stand wires and tie them together, figure out where I want to locate the ignition and extend as needed, mount the starter solenoid, rework the battery cables a little bit and have the weather warm up a bit so I can work out in the garage  Smiley.

Here are some photos of the new dash...

And since I'm not going to use the Ryca position for the ignition I made a blank to cover the hole...

Here are a couple of photos of the whole bike that I wanted to post earlier with the tank and seat in place as well as the engine and exhaust system.

I hope in the next couple of weeks I get the wiring done and in position then put some oil in the engine and crank her over and maybe see if it will start, I can't wait to see what the exhaust sounds like.

I hate winter.
Thanks for reading

Gerry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 12/11/13 at 11:46:29

I like that a lot better, much less clunky looking.

WWW   IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #26 - 12/23/13 at 09:16:52

verslagen1 wrote on 12/11/13 at 11:46:29:
I like that a lot better, much less clunky looking.

Thanks Verslavy.

I haven't done too much on the project lately.  Been too cold and we had an ice storm roll through and have been without power for the past two days, finally got it back early this morning.

I'm kind of intimidated by the wiring.  I figured That the first thing I should do is get the ancillary's such as the CDI, ignition and rear brake light switch in their final positions then start routing the loom making adjustments in length as needed.

I did not like the way Ryca has you mount the igniter assy. using Velcro or two sided tape so I made a mount plate for it and drilled a couple of holes in the side of the battery box to mount it.

I put a strip of rubber under this aluminum strap to hold the igniter assy firmly in the pocket in the base plate.

I didn't want to mount the ignition in the gas tank cover either.  I saw this mounting method on the Ryca customer gallery and made this bracket.

I hope to find some 4X heat shrink tube to wrap around the base of the ignition and up onto the wiring to help seal that off.

I didn't like the way Ryca has you connect the rear brake cable to the rear-set linkage so I made a mount bracket for the switch body itself and connect that to the rear-set linkage.

I'm not sure how this will work out.  I don't know if I'll bang into that cable with my boot and screw it up during use or if it will work out?  I plan on painting these parts satin black when I paint every thing else.

I also made a stop for the rear brake pedal Ala Dave's Thumpin Special build, thanks Dave!

Thanks for reading,
Gerry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 12/23/13 at 09:27:45

Gerry:

I like the way you made the brake stop to attach on the backside of the mount......that is a great way to do it.

Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 12/23/13 at 10:24:22

if you can vibration isolate the TDI in a similar fashion as stock I think the brain box will last longer.

and will the keys in any way be in danger of snapped off in a tip over?

WWW   IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #29 - 12/24/13 at 05:48:45

Dave wrote on 12/23/13 at 09:27:45:
Gerry:

I like the way you made the brake stop to attach on the backside of the mount......that is a great way to do it.

Dave

Thanks Dave

verslagen1 wrote on 12/23/13 at 10:24:22:
if you can vibration isolate the TDI in a similar fashion as stock I think the brain box will last longer.

and will the keys in any way be in danger of snapped off in a tip over?

Thanks verslavy,
I didn't make the connection that it was rubber mounted in stock form for a reason.  I'll go back and re-think, maybe just make a steel bracket that I will attach to the Ryca battery box and will support the rubber stock "saddle" that holds the brain box in the same way it was mounted to the frame.

The key, once inserted in the ignition does protrude quite a bit but is still behind the front plane of the case cover, rear-set, etc.
I have room in the bracket to move the whole assembly back maybe a 1/2".

Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:33:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Ryca Build Log

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.