Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......The project begins!
Reply #45 - 03/02/13 at 07:17:05

Boofer wrote on 02/27/13 at 19:48:52:
Good looking job. One reason the Savage looks good is the 32 degree (I think) rake, but it is good to understand the need for keeping "trail" in the right range. I'm not saying you don't understand it, but reading up on it won't hurt if you're not fluent in rake and trail dynamics. Again, great job by a master craftsman. Just don't want you to get twitchy or have a tank slapper at 85mph--or have to find a field to turn around in.  Grin

I have researched and worked on this issue.  The Savage has about 35 degrees of rake from what I measured - and my bike currently has 30.5 degrees.  Most sport bikes are around 24 degrees.  The trail is supposed to be between 3-6 inches - and mine is at 6.5 inches currently.  Some of the change in trail has come from the steeper fork angle and some has come from reducing the yoke offset from 2.5" to the current 1.25".  The trail is no less than the Savage had at nearly 8 inches - but it is still beyond the 6" of trail that is considered to be into the range that is considered "sluggish" handling.  The frame and steering head geometry of the Savage makes it tough to change this.  I think it will be fine as I don't want a really twitchy bike - and this is not a sport bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #46 - 03/03/13 at 21:58:54

10-4. Sounds like have you thought out the handling. I was reading about some racers moving their forks up in the clamps by 2mm to get the handling they wanted. When I get that picky about my handling I'll just stop for a milkshake and change my center of gravity.  Grin Can't say enough about your project. Great work.  Boofer  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 03/10/13 at 18:20:34

This week/weekend was speedometer related.  I first built a plate to hold the Vipertech on top of the triple clamp using the original mounts for the RM400 handlebars.  I spent a lot of time measuring and building it and it was nicely positioned - but when I got it painted and mounted I realized how bad the wires were going to look on the backside of the mount with it being mounted so high.  Plan 2 was to mount it on the bottom of th triple clamp.  I started at 10 AM and took about 1/2 for lunch.....and I finished at 5:00 PM.....I just can't believe how much time this stuff takes!

Black mount is the one I made first and won't use......silver one is now painted black and ready to mount when the paint cures:

This is the speedo/tach in the new mount.  The 4 blank holes will be for the L/R turn signals, neutral light and high beam.

This is what the wires on the backside look like.  I was not going to be able to tolerate looking at these when the thing was mounted on top of the triple clamp.

The new mount being lower will hide the wires behind the headlight.

My bike has 1,763 miles on it, and I wanted the odometer to show that accurately.  The new unit came with 0 miles in it.  I hooked the speedo unit to a battery, then I mounted a magnet on the wheel of a small grinder that I have an taped the sensor to the grinder so it would pick up the spinning magnet.

I set the wheel size really big in the programming, and I could really rack up the miles fast at 338 mph!

I let it run for a while on Saturday and got over 1,000 miles, and today I got it exactly at 1,763 miles.  I had to watch closely the last few minutes to get it right were it needed to be.

« Last Edit: 12/15/14 at 04:14:28 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 03/18/13 at 04:18:45

This weekend I worked on the right rear set and brake pedal assembly.  The rear set brake pedal did not have any sort of a stop built in, and it was impossible to adjust the rear brake up snug or regulate the height of the pedal.  The throw was waaaay too long as you could not adjust the slack out of the brake when the pedal did not have a stop built in.

I solved the problem by making a new clamp for the rear of the footpeg what had an "ear" that I could thread and install a stop to limit the pedal travel.  The stock one is the round clamp on the right....I made the one that is mounted to the footpeg.  I think I can also use this modified clamp as the mount for the brake light cable.

I am planning on using a rea brake arm from a Suzuki C50.  It is not offset like the cable operated Savage one, and I will be able to run the brake rod on top of the swingarm and avoid the conflicts with the exhaust. system.  The lucky part is the splines are exactly the same and it will botl right on the stock brake cam.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 03/18/13 at 18:24:58

Tonight I was able to finish the rear brake installation.  On Saturday I tried a rod made out of 1/4" stainless.  It was not a bad first attempt but proved that I had made too big of bends for clearance and the rod ended up too flexible and it would flex a lot when applying the brake.  This may have softened up the tendency of the Savage rear brake to work like a light switch - but I was concerned that too much flex too often would result in the rod eventually breaking.

Tonight I made the brake rod from 3/16" stainless and put a long soft bend in the rod.  There is very little flex in it now and it works great.  I will lower the suspension to make sure it clear everything at full travel, then make a cable for the brake light switch.

With the brake rod on top......I can do anything I want with the exhaust! Grin

« Last Edit: 03/20/13 at 12:44:00 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #50 - 03/18/13 at 21:29:29

Lookin all kindsa fine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #51 - 03/19/13 at 08:07:38

Beautiful machining with the rear sets, kudos to you. However I'm not so sure about the brake rod solution. I mean it is your bike, but I could not get happy with the current looks of the rod.
Like I said, none of my business, just saying...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 03/19/13 at 08:27:57

ralfyguy wrote on 03/19/13 at 08:07:38:
Beautiful machining with the rear sets, kudos to you. However I'm not so sure about the brake rod solution. I mean it is your bike, but I could not get happy with the current looks of the rod.
Like I said, none of my business, just saying...

It is your business when I post it here.....and I agree with you.  My attempt was to keep the brake business up outa the way of the muffler.....but it did not work.  So....I did what all the other guys do:

And it looks much better.  It will also work with the muffler I plan on building.  Here it is just pushed over the header pipe - it will be moved out and back a bit when it is all welded together.....and has some stuff on the inside of the megaphone.

« Last Edit: 03/19/13 at 16:26:49 by Dave »  

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #53 - 03/20/13 at 07:17:30

That looks way better and thanks for not misunderstanding my criticism. It just seemed to disturb the overall looks of the beautiful bike.
I have another idea, which involves the unused mounting point of the rear footrest. How about a lever that has holes drilled in the middle and on either end, bolted to the footrest mounting point on the swing with the middle hole using a shoulder bolt so it can move freely. Then put the C50 brake arm back on facing up and fabricate a short rod to connect it to the upper hole, then fabricate another short rod to connect the lower hole to the brake pedal. This results in a push-pull action when the brake is applied, looks cool and is sort of away from the muffler?
But it may not have enough clearance above the muffler you installed...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 03/20/13 at 07:40:19

ralfyguy wrote on 03/20/13 at 07:17:30:
That looks way better and thanks for not misunderstanding my criticism. It just seemed to disturb the overall looks of the beautiful bike.
I have another idea, which involves the unused mounting point of the rear footrest. How about a lever that has a holes drilled in the middle and on either end, bolted to the footrest mounting point on the swing with the middle hole using a shoulder bolt so it can move freely. Then put the C50 brake arm back on facing up and fabricate a short rod to connect it to the upper hole, then fabricate another short rod to connect to the brake pedal. This results in a push-pull action when the brake is applied, looks cool and is sort of away from the muffler?
But it may not have enough clearance above the muffler you installed...

That bellcrank arrangement is a possibility, and may be one that I work on next winter.  There was one fellow that posted a system that used that and he got a lot of criticism about the movement of the swingarm and the effect it would have on the brake tension over bumps- but the mounting point of the swing arm is so close to the brake rod mounting point that there is little change in the length as the swingarm moves up and down.  I do believe the rods would always have to be used in tension however - they are too slender and long to have any strength when pushing.

I really don't want to let this riding season get away from me, and I want to get the bike running again within a month or so.  I am planning on going on the Dragon Run in a couple of months with this bike.....and I need to get it running.  There is a lot of work still to do.  I might not get it finished....but I want it ridable.  Things like the front fender, paint, Kawasaki EN454 sprocket, stainless exhaust system, removable luggage rack to hold my stuff,  might all just have to wait until next winter.....or beome a series of small projects as the summer/fall seasons pass.

I have been thinking about paint schemes.....and I am toying with the idea of throwing everyone off about what this bike is by using an original factory paint scheme.....I like these best so far.

Although it is hard to beat the black and gold combination.

« Last Edit: 03/20/13 at 12:46:47 by Dave »  

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #55 - 03/21/13 at 22:49:08

The middle paint scheme or just go gonzo and a big bold 70's race scheme. That bike is a belter! Sensational, love it

WWW   IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #56 - 03/21/13 at 22:50:19

Where do you get those ball joints that you have on the front of the  rear brake rod where it attaches to the right rearset lever?

PS  GT380 was my first bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 03/22/13 at 02:53:46

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 03/21/13 at 22:50:19:
Where do you get those ball joints that you have on the front of the  rear brake rod where it attaches to the right rearset lever?

The rear sets and heim joints came from Dime City.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-chassis-tranmissio...

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #58 - 03/22/13 at 19:29:58

[/quote]

The rear sets and heim joints came from Dime City.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-chassis-tranmissio... [/quote]

Cheers Dave!  -Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #59 - 03/22/13 at 21:59:34

Dave, Thanks for the Suzuki Triple photos. I was running the Kawasaki H1 and H2s back then. But your build pictures look like professional photos. Very good way to take us along on your build.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 01:54:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.