Send Topic Print
Cam chain length check (Read 69 times)
snuggerbugger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam chain length check
03/23/15 at 14:03:54

So I've just removed my cam chain tensioner and I'm ordering a new one (verslagen) but I'm having trouble figure out how to check the chain wear.  I can follow the instructions in the thread to check the individual links (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029), but how do I check the stretch?  Do I need to remove the cylinder head and remove the chain?  Is there a way to check the stretch without all that?  

Does the use of the fancy new tensioner mean that the chain can be used beyond the service limit of 128.9mm so long as the individual links are ok???

Thanks very much!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam chain length check
Reply #1 - 03/23/15 at 15:02:18

Yes, to do it as perscribed, you must remove the chain to measure it.
verslagen1 wrote on 01/24/10 at 22:48:58:
Couldn't find the detailed sketch I know is in the SSM.  
This picture shows new on top and a used chain on the bottom.
And he's measuring the stretch over about 14", not the required 21 pin measurement.
So, stretch out the chain like shown, and it would be good to stretch it a bit.  One end on a nail, the other with a bungee cord, weight, whatever.  count off 21 pins, measure from center to center, but left edge of the pin to left edge is the same.
127mm or 5" is brand new.
service limit is 128.9mm or 5.075"
While you got it in your hand, check for any stiff links.
I'd replace it if you have any.

But I reallize you don't want to remove it from the bike, (gotta pull the head cover, yada, yada, yada)
you might try measuring 10 links (or 11 pins) instead and divide every by half, 2.500" instead of 5", .037" stretch instead of .075"

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 03/23/15 at 15:02:33

It is my understanding that with the stock tensioner, you will never reach the stretch limit.  The Modified one will allow you to get the full use out of the chain.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/23/15 at 15:10:28

snuggerbugger wrote on 03/23/15 at 14:03:54:
Does the use of the fancy new tensioner mean that the chain can be used beyond the service limit of 128.9mm so long as the individual links are ok???

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

as it, the stock adjuster gives you less than half of the allowed stretch.
all the verslavy does is allow you to use more of it a little more safely.
At least your plunger won't fall out of the housing.  but the chain can still break and it does happen even without the verslavy.

So measure your chain several times over the length of the chain, it should be consistent over the length of the chain, examine the entire length for stiff links, and replace as necessary.

WWW   IP Logged
snuggerbugger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/24/15 at 09:07:44

Thank you very much.  I'll try to do what measuring I can while it's still in the bike.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the chain has not stretched beyond the limit if my original tensioner was stretched to 18mm?  It sounds like that might mean I'm at about half of the allowed stretch.

And once I install the new one, could I safely assume that I'm within the allowed stretch while I'm using the first hole?  Then once on the second hole, it seems like there should be an average extension of the new tensioner that would tell me when the chain is almost stretched too much.  Does that make any sense?  It seems like watching the tensioner extension might be a much easier way to monitor chain stretch.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/24/15 at 09:50:53

I think it's reasonable that at 18mm the chain about halfway to the limit.
New what?
If you're talking about a Verslavy, yes, a verslavy is made from a stock adjuster and the 1st hole is the stock hole so it will have the same characteristics.  Except the pinned plunger will extend only so far, then the chain will be loose and will make a "loose" sound (never heard before on a savage  Cool  )  The second hole will allow the adjuster to expand until the chain will almost touch itself.  At that point you will have to put in a new chain.

Yes looking at extension is an easier way of monitoring the chain stretch, but you should still look for bad links when you have the case open.  There have been a few chain failures (I think I can count those on my thumbs) and it'd be wise to check it when you can.

WWW   IP Logged
snuggerbugger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/24/15 at 09:56:35

Neat!  Thanks so much.  You made my day much easier.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:01:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain length check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.