Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Another Ryca Build Log (Read 2510 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Another Ryca Build Log
Reply #30 - 12/24/13 at 06:23:20

Gerry:

I just used the stock metal and rubber mount system, and screwed it to the side of my new battery box.  I believe I cut off a bit of the mount that was not needed, and I used some flat head screws with tapered bottoms to countersunk slightly into the bracket.

IMG_0833.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #31 - 12/26/13 at 09:17:32

Dave wrote on 12/24/13 at 06:23:20:
Gerry:

I just used the stock metal and rubber mount system, and screwed it to the side of my new battery box.  I believe I cut off a bit of the mount that was not needed, and I used some flat head screws with tapered bottoms to countersunk slightly into the bracket.

Thanks for that Dave, it worked great.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 12/26/13 at 09:32:09

Good. I like it.

WWW   IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #33 - 04/10/14 at 11:43:17

Finally got back into the Ryca recently.  Got the wiring pretty much the way I want it.  Put it all back together, put gas in it and it fired right up.  Took it for a little shake down around the block.  Lot of backfiring on deceleration.  I need to go through the carb tuning procedure and tweak that.  I had the side cover installed per Ryca instructions with the thumb screws, don't like that much.  Gonna try to come up with an alternative.  Brakes work well, steering is a little quick.  The bike is not a quick as I hoped, maybe it is just a matter of getting the carb right?  Need to figure out what I'm gonna do about front turn signals.  Was going to try and make my own but I think I'll just end up buying some from Dime City or something.  Tried to put a licence plate on the Ryca mount and the slots don't line up with the holes in a Michigan motorcycle plate?  The fork gaitors (from Ryca) are weather checking bad, they're only 7 months old and have been in a garage all that time.  Once I get these last few things ironed out I can start painting.
Thanks for reading,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 04/10/14 at 13:00:17

Gerry:

Glad to see you haven't abandoned the project and just took a breather.

I have not ridden a RYCA with a stock engine or forks.......I have a modified engine and forks and I think mine is a blast to ride.  It is not a drag racer by any means - but the torquey engine is a lot of fun on the local roads around here.

I don't know what jets you have....mine ran great with a #50 pilot, #150 main, and only 2 washers on the needle.  With 3 washers mine had a flat spot just off idle that made the bike not run very smooth at low throttle settings.

I did see the side panel mounts on a stock RYCA.....you can do a lot better.  i went for the vintage BSA type look and used some rubber washers and grommets made for fairings, and a some large head stainless screws to hold my side panels on.
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/BODY-BUSHING-KIT/

Dave

IMG_0973.JPG

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #35 - 04/11/14 at 06:15:01

Thanks Dave
Gerry

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #36 - 04/23/14 at 04:47:23

I got a chance to put about 100 miles on the bike Monday.  I was really surprised how well the suspension worked and the seat to rear-set ergos.  My wrists and hands were a little fatigued, I think I need to tweak the clip-ons angle and height a little bit.  I got the carb adjusted I think, the bike ran well, little or no popping, no gun shot at shut down and was maybe a little quicker than my first test ride but no speed demon either.  I don't think I can pass the cagers as well as I can on the Ducati or Guzzi (but they are 1000 and 1200 cc ~100 HP motorcycles) but the bike handles and rides well and was fun to flick around.  One of the big things I noticed was that it has good torque and you can cruise in a higher gear and lower RPM than I expected.
Gerry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 04/23/14 at 05:01:26

Gerry wrote on 04/23/14 at 04:47:23:
 I don't think I can pass the cagers as well as I can on the Ducati or Guzzi (but they are 1000 and 1200 cc ~100 HP motorcycles) but the bike handles and rides well and was fun to flick around.  One of the big things I noticed was that it has good torque and you can cruise in a higher gear and lower RPM than I expected.
Gerry

Well I can understand why you don't feel the bike is all that quick....when you are used to bikes with 3 times the HP!  I came from the other side and had been riding a 320cc Trials bike when I got my Savage....it seemed like a rocket in comparison.

With a few engine upgrades the bike can become more responsive and a bit quicker - but it will never be a drag racer.  A Wiseco piston, cam, Mikuni VM36 and a bit of port work and the bike becomes more sporty and yet still has plenty of low end grunt.

The bike will grow on you, and some seat time will help your body adjust to the seating and handlebar positions.  The hard secenario for me is a steep downhill with hard braking......there is a huge amount of force on your arms and your right hand has to still manage to apply the brake at the same time you feel like you are doing a push up! Shocked

IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #38 - 04/23/14 at 17:16:50

Hey Gerry,
As usual Dave came up with a good looking fix to the Ryca side cover flaw. I say flaw because there's no way I could start those foolish thumb screws. When I did get them in, I lost one about every other ride.
I finally got some 6/32" machine screws 3/4" long (1/2" would have been better) with wing nuts. I ran the screws out from the inside of the battery box with locktite. You have to spring the mounts slightly to slip them in place but the wing nuts go on so much better. I also haven't had them loosen up yet.
Just another option for you.
Good thread, nice ride.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #39 - 04/24/14 at 05:07:43

cafecarl wrote on 04/23/14 at 17:16:50:
Hey Gerry,
As usual Dave came up with a good looking fix to the Ryca side cover flaw. I say flaw because there's no way I could start those foolish thumb screws. When I did get them in, I lost one about every other ride.
I finally got some 6/32" machine screws 3/4" long (1/2" would have been better) with wing nuts. I ran the screws out from the inside of the battery box with locktite. You have to spring the mounts slightly to slip them in place but the wing nuts go on so much better. I also haven't had them loosen up yet.
Just another option for you.
Good thread, nice ride.

Thanks Carl.
Yea, I wondered why Ryca just didn't weld a stud on the battery box rather than a weld-nut.  I thought as you did this would be much easier to get a nut or wing nut started rather than thumb screws.  I have the side covers on the bike now but I struggled for many minutes getting the thumb screws mounted by pushing them into a short piece of fuel hose and using the the fuel hose as an extension to start and firm up the thumb screws.

If I don't do something similar to Dave's version I will certainly consider your solution.
Gerry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 04/24/14 at 05:25:45

The only difficult part about what I did was getting the studs located in a place that looked correct on the cover....and had something behind the cover to weld or tap.  The top two ended up matching the frame and I just welded a long nut made for attaching threaded rod on both sides, and then I cut some of it off to make the clearance correct.  The bottom left one needed a tab welded onto the RYCA belt guard, the right one ended up being a stud on the battery box I built.  I was trying to get a vintage look similar to what a vintage British bike might have used, and the large stainless screws and rubber cushions don't seem to detract from the appearance.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #41 - 05/12/14 at 08:22:47

Hi,
I am starting to paint the fiberglass parts.  Never painted this kind of stuff before and I'm proceeding with the plan to paint using Dupli Color rattle cans and a friend is going to spray a 2 part urethane clear for me.  
I started out sanding and filling any small pin holes and blemishes in the surface of the fiberglass and applying 4 coats of a high build primer and then wet sanding with 800 grit paper then applying 3 coats of a sealer primer and wet sanding with 800 grit again.  I then applied 3 coats of Performance White to the seal cowl and ran out of paint.  I was using the can I had left over from last fall to do my paint sample.  I just wanted to see some color on something... I'm trying to be patient LOL.

I plan on applying at least three more coats of white on the seat cowl and 6 coats as well on the side panels.

I then want to tape and paint the Sonic Blue Perl stripes on the seat cowl.  Still trying to decide on a pattern for the stripes and if I want to put some kind of logo and stripe pattern on the side covers.

When I disassembled the seat pan from the cowling I had a hard time with the little rubber rivet nuts (they were difficult to work with when I first assembled them too), one pushed through the fiberglass and is between the seat foam and the pan and a couple of others just spin in the holes w/o compressing.  

This gives me a good excuse to remove the upholstery and re-think the attachment points.  Maybe I'll epoxy in some little T-nuts, similar to Dave's Thumpin' Special build.  In addition I always liked the tan colored seats that you see on Ryca's customer build photo page.  Does any one here have a good resource for buying that tuck and roll or ribbed vinyl seat material?

I plan on painting the tank and front fender after I finish the fiberglass parts.  The tank needs a lot of prep I think.

Thanks for reading,
Gerry

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #42 - 06/22/14 at 15:08:12

It's about 99% done I think.
Need to order some Spay Max 2K clear to finish the painting.  I decided to try and find a chrome front fender and I still need to order some bar end mirrors and front turn signals.  And I need to epoxy or fiberglass in some T-nuts or maybe I'll just turn some type of fastener for the seat, cowl and seat pan assembly.  The rubber rivet nuts that Ryca has in the kit just are not holding for me.
Had to put it together just to see how it all looks, here a some photos.
Thanks for reading,
Gerry

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #43 - 06/23/14 at 02:36:39

Magnificent craftsmanship.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #44 - 06/23/14 at 08:24:46

Looks awesome Gerry .... bar ends would look nice too....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:11:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Ryca Build Log

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.