Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Another Ryca Build Log (Read 2510 times)
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Re: Another Ryca Build Log
Reply #60 - 08/11/14 at 12:47:56

Thanks fellas  Smiley

If anyone would like a top yoke like mine or with clamps for the tubes I'm open to discussion.  PM me.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 08/12/14 at 03:28:17

Gerry wrote on 08/11/14 at 12:47:56:
Thanks fellas  Smiley

If anyone would like a top yoke like mine or with clamps for the tubes I'm open to discussion.  PM me.
Gerry

If you get a top yoke with clamps....the you could drop the tubes 1.5" and replace that that 2" spacer with a 0.5" spacer for some extra preload......and get most of  your fork travel back.  

And on a side note......RYCA owners may want to remove their tail light, take it apart, and seal all the seams with RTV.  Mine has been in a few rain storms on the Dragon runs, and my tail light is full of condensation and the running light has stopped working.

The rear tire just saturates that little light with a constant stream of water when the road is wet (What misses the tail light goes up my backside and the back of my helmet!). Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #62 - 08/12/14 at 04:01:36

Spamy wrote on 08/10/14 at 23:19:02:
Looks beautiful. Sooo clean.

Yep, that is THE PROBLEM for sure.  This beautiful bike is just way too clean.  Even after I clean them, mine are never this clean.  One thing for sure though, a clean bike is definitely faster; less derby to slow down the efficient flow of air over the sleek body of that fine machine.  Oh yea ! For sure.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #63 - 08/12/14 at 18:15:46

Wow, that looks like a brand new bike. Nice work. (I'm a firm believer in leaving my bikes with a protective layer of filth. Mine will never be that clean either  Embarrassed )

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 08/13/14 at 09:29:13

Just two quick questions for a Ryca build vet. Sorry if they have been beaten to death.

1. The swingarm mod. From what I understand it is for tires that have an OD of greater than 26". Did you have to do it for your tires? They look like the same Kenda K671's that I like and normally ran on my old street bike. Ryca shows the K671's OD as 25.25"

2. When you go to mount the seat, does it only attach in the front, and then just rests on the cut seat tubes? Or does it somehow attach to those cut tubes? The CS2 seat looks like it just rests on there too.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 08/13/14 at 09:45:02

rapfohl wrote on 08/13/14 at 09:29:13:
Just two quick questions for a Ryca build vet. Sorry if they have been beaten to death.

1. The swingarm mod. From what I understand it is for tires that have an OD of greater than 26". Did you have to do it for your tires? They look like the same Kenda K671's that I like and normally ran on my old street bike. Ryca shows the K671's OD as 25.25"

2. When you go to mount the seat, does it only attach in the front, and then just rests on the cut seat tubes? Or does it somehow attach to those cut tubes? The CS2 seat looks like it just rests on there too.

The stock swingarm works with any "modern" tire that fits the 18x2.50 rim that is most often used.  The problem with the vintage tires is the square tread profile and large diameter contacts the stock swing arm.  If you are going to ride the bike in any kind of a "hustle"...use a modern tire.  Unfortunately I believe the current fad is to put too wide a tire on the narrow rim.  A 110/80-18 tire should be on the 18x2.50 rear rim, and a 90/90-18 front tire should be on the front 18x2.15 rim. This is plenty of tire for the weight and horsepower of the bike.  If you want to run a 130/70 rear tire - then mount a 18x3.50 rear rim....which is what the tire is made for.  The front 18x2.15 (19x2.15) rim can run a 100/90 tire OK.

Here is a fitment chart for the Bridgestone Batlax BT-45, and the chart matches what most other tire folks publish.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

When you put the "too wide" tire on the narrow rim - it rolls the tread over onto the sidewall and makes the tread profile too round.  You therefore cancel out the efforts the tire manufacturer has taken to make the tire have a small footprint when vertical, and a large footprint while banked over.

The rear of the RYCA seat pan attaches to the same rear bolt holes that the stock seat did - but it does also rest on the cut off frame tubes if you cut them accurately.....there a gap if you trim off too much and the bolt holes will do the work.  The front of the seat pan attaches with the same two bolts that mount the fuel tank.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #66 - 08/13/14 at 13:44:16

Dave wrote on 08/13/14 at 09:45:02:
rapfohl wrote on 08/13/14 at 09:29:13:

The stock swingarm works with any "modern" tire that fits the 18x2.50 rim that is most often used.  The problem with the vintage tires is the square tread profile and large diameter contacts the stock swing arm.  If you are going to ride the bike in any kind of a "hustle"...use a modern tire.  Unfortunately I believe the current fad is to put too wide a tire on the narrow rim.  A 110/80-18 tire should be on the 18x2.50 rear rim, and a 90/90-18 front tire should be on the front 18x2.15 rim. This is plenty of tire for the weight and horsepower of the bike.  If you want to run a 130/70 rear tire - then mount a 18x3.50 rear rim....which is what the tire is made for.  The front 18x2.15 (19x2.15) rim can run a 100/90 tire OK.

Here is a fitment chart for the Bridgestone Batlax BT-45, and the chart matches what most other tire folks publish.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

When you put the "too wide" tire on the narrow rim - it rolls the tread over onto the sidewall and makes the tread profile too round.  You therefore cancel out the efforts the tire manufacturer has taken to make the tire have a small footprint when vertical, and a large footprint while banked over.

The rear of the RYCA seat pan attaches to the same rear bolt holes that the stock seat did - but it does also rest on the cut off frame tubes if you cut them accurately.....there a gap if you trim off too much and the bolt holes will do the work.  The front of the seat pan attaches with the same two bolts that mount the fuel tank.

Dave

Hi Rapfohl,
Have you seen the Ryca build videos on YouTube?
There are quit a few and are very helpful.
You can access them from Ryca's web page...
http://www.rycamotors.com/resources/index.html
This one covers the seat attachment towards the end of the video...

As far as being too clean, this bike only has 64 miles on it, give me some time to grody it up  Grin

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 08/13/14 at 16:49:10

Thanks for your comments and the link!

A really great looking bike. I like the key position. When I do my tracker style I want to shave that hole in the tank. Did you fab the pieces yourself?

IP Logged
atomikchicken
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/02/15 at 09:04:01

I am not sure why people are in awe here? I have a drill, skill saw, dremel, sawzall and an angel grinder. I will make any one here one of those tree clamp things for a great price. Just PM me.

What a great build.

Once I sell a few of my tree things I will PM you Gerry.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #69 - 03/23/15 at 07:43:04

Gerry wrote on 04/10/14 at 11:43:17:
I had the side cover installed per Ryca instructions with the thumb screws, don't like that much.  Gonna try to come up with an alternative.

I'm pulling this one back from the time machine. Did you every come up with an alternative solution for the thumb screws? I had to change the spark plug this weekend. A fairly straight forward job; remove side covers, seat pan and tank...except it took 10 minutes to get the side covers off and 30 minutes to get them back on. What should have been a 10 minute job start-to-finish took an hour due to those dumb thumb screws.

I was thinking of opening the end of the slot on the bracket, this way the thumb screws wouldn't have to be removed, only loosed, to remove and replace the side covers. But if anyone has thought of a better mousetrap...I'd sure like to hear about it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #70 - 03/23/15 at 08:30:37

These might be a bit tall for the application, but they are quick to remove.
drill a 1/4" hole, a rubber pad between parts to provide some tension, push the button while pushing in to the hole, release the button and a final push to lock.  I'd use the mushroom headed one, about 3/8" grip.

WWW   IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #71 - 03/23/15 at 09:59:32

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/23/15 at 07:43:04:
Gerry wrote on 04/10/14 at 11:43:17:
I had the side cover installed per Ryca instructions with the thumb screws, don't like that much.  Gonna try to come up with an alternative.

I'm pulling this one back from the time machine. Did you every come up with an alternative solution for the thumb screws? I had to change the spark plug this weekend. A fairly straight forward job; remove side covers, seat pan and tank...except it took 10 minutes to get the side covers off and 30 minutes to get them back on. What should have been a 10 minute job start-to-finish took an hour due to those dumb thumb screws.

I was thinking of opening the end of the slot on the bracket, this way the thumb screws wouldn't have to be removed, only loosed, to remove and replace the side covers. But if anyone has thought of a better mousetrap...I'd sure like to hear about it.

Yes, see my reply #53 in this thread.
Gerry

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #72 - 03/23/15 at 10:13:56

Gerry wrote on 03/23/15 at 09:59:32:

Now I have  Smiley

Now that I've had some time to ponder this, I have some easy solutions:

1) rather then open the slot, I could just drill a 1/2" hole near the end. This would allow the bracket to slide over the thumb screw where it could drop into the groove, and then be tightened, or

2) create a stud from a 6-32 screw that is threaded from inside the battery box. I could then use a 6-32 wing nut on the outside. This way I wont have to blindly fish around for the slot and hole. Is this basically what you created?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #73 - 03/24/15 at 04:33:06

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/23/15 at 10:13:56:
Gerry wrote on 03/23/15 at 09:59:32:

Now I have  Smiley

Now that I've had some time to ponder this, I have some easy solutions:

1) rather then open the slot, I could just drill a 1/2" hole near the end. This would allow the bracket to slide over the thumb screw where it could drop into the groove, and then be tightened, or

2) create a stud from a 6-32 screw that is threaded from inside the battery box. I could then use a 6-32 wing nut on the outside. This way I wont have to blindly fish around for the slot and hole. Is this basically what you created?

Yes, on #2
Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:51:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Ryca Build Log

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.