Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run, Summer, 2014... (Read 5605 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...
Reply #30 - 08/10/13 at 18:59:53

WD, Toymaker had a 800 Kawachunky that he took to the Dragon twice (two years running).

He never brought it back after he got it all fixed back up again.

Bigger bikes simply don't do well on the Dragon, nimble with torque is everything in the hard twisties.

And Serowbot, we have never yet killed anybody in our little riding groups yet, although we have had a few take a tumble but minor road rash, tire marks and a cracked vertebra is the extent of the damage done to our own people.

You need to think about it -- the actual chance to do stuff like this only comes along fairly rarely when you live out in the desert states.   Having Verslagen swing by to pick you up in AC comfort is simply too good a chance to let go by the board, simply because of any nagging self-doubt.

I would take off your bicycle spinner footpegs and put back on a set of stock folders (or other folder pegs).   Scrubbing a foot peg happens in the mountains, with fair regularity.   Folder pegs just give with the pavement and you continue on on the same line as you had planned.    Non-folding type pegs can dig in hard and can cause you to pivot and go off line (and that ain't a good thing on them outside turns).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #31 - 08/10/13 at 21:33:54

Yeah...my injury happened on the way up there (1 hr out), ridding with the group is definitely not a hassle at all, they waited for me to catch up every time, I hadn't ridden the wife's savage much so I don't know its limitations. LOL, I was only slower because of the fall I took on the way up made me a little bit leary of injuring myself worse.

The group is great, obviously not everyone has the same riding expertise, but everyone is reminded to ride at their own pace and not to try to keep up with the faster folks.

We only got run off the road once...and that was buy a hillbilly in his pickup on a one lane gravel mountain road. Oh did we mention at least once someone will suggest we try a route not previously discovered? Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #32 - 08/10/13 at 21:40:37

The Harley FloorBoards I have ( on the S-40 )only move about 3 inches up when they find the bottom of the curve and its very distrubing and noisy.    But if they didn't move at all .... that probley wouldn't turn-out so good ???  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 09/22/13 at 09:35:50

Proposed "wide band" dates are Saturday June 7th through Sunday June 15th.

So far we are talking about folks from the Midwest and West grouping at MM's place early on then proceeding on to the Dragon area for the second half of the week, then falling back to MM's on the way back home.

Since MM is always there, no real planning is needed for the MM portions of the stay periods.

We will need to discuss the Dragon area some, like in where we are going to park it while down in NC.

Me, I still like the Blue Ridge cabins better than the Dragon Lodge.  The Dragon is overly busy and hot during the days and the campfire is full of drunk bragging crotch rocket boys who want to talk about their current case of road rash all the time.

Blue Ridge is full of older guys like us, folks who like to feed everybody beer, mixed drinks, chips, pretzels and beef jerky come camp fire time.  (It's their wives doing the all the feeding of course but I still prefer that to the epic sized <oft repeated> late night fart lighting contests that always take place at the Dragon Lodge fire pit).

Folks are more varied and more interesting at the Blue Ridge.  Dragon is very transient with folks generally only staying 1-2 days max.  Blue Ridge has more married couples and folks who are staying the week.

Economics -- except for the perennial "clip yer wallet job" at the end that always seems to happen at Dragon Lodge checkout time the accomodations are about the same base cost.   Except for Cabin #4 at Blue Ridge which can easily hold 3 people at a net cost of $15 a pop which is a slightly better deal than anywhere else.  

Cabins/rooms cost $25 a day and camping is $15 per generally speaking.

OR if someone has an itch they can sell to the group, we can actually GO SOMEWHERE WE HAVE NEVER BEEN BEFORE.  

gasp !!!    Shocked

Or if MM can figure out a whole weeks worth of good stuff to do we can just stay at his place the whole time.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #34 - 09/22/13 at 11:02:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/10/13 at 18:59:53:

WD, Toymaker had a 800 Kawachunky that he took to the Dragon twice (two years running).

He never brought it back after he got it all fixed back up again.

Bigger bikes simply don't do well on the Dragon, nimble with torque is everything in the hard twisties.

And Serowbot, we have never yet killed anybody in our little riding groups yet, although we have had a few take a tumble but minor road rash, tire marks and a cracked vertebra is the extent of the damage done to our own people.

You need to think about it -- the actual chance to do stuff like this only comes along fairly rarely when you live out in the desert states.   Having Verslagen swing by to pick you up in AC comfort is simply too good a chance to let go by the board, simply because of any nagging self-doubt.

I would take off your bicycle spinner footpegs and put back on a set of stock folders (or other folder pegs).   Scrubbing a foot peg happens in the mountains, with fair regularity.   Folder pegs just give with the pavement and you continue on on the same line as you had planned.    Non-folding type pegs can dig in hard and can cause you to pivot and go off line (and that ain't a good thing on them outside turns).

B (16 inch front wheel) doesn't handle, A (21 inch front wheel model) will run circles around a Savage, and has a better lean angle before anything touches down. 40 mph corners at 65 plus were no problem on my 800A.  Was going to do the tensioner and carb work today, woke up with a concrete slab instead of lumbar muscles.

Pokey is on track to be back together by sometime next month, need to go pick up the Road King seat and bars this afternoon. Will take some engineering to fit the big police solo seat until I can get the 800A seat pan heated and bent to fit Pokey's odd frame/fender shapes.

Also need to order my fabric braid covered wiring for the Savage. Any exposed wires "need" to be the old type for proper aesthetics... And need to order the right (small or medium) tombstone windshield. I will not commute 90 miles a day w/o one anymore. 50 a day is my limit w/o a shield thanks to the shattered shoulder and bad lumbar spine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 09/22/13 at 12:43:29

if that's the dates, can't make it this year.

still stuck on august and september.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 09/22/13 at 13:26:27

That's the dates for the early Summer run as proposed so far, likely there will be a fall run as well (we have been doing two runs a year for 3 plus years now anyway)    

Since you have some time restrictions in mind, you can start a Fall Run thread up during the time period that works well for you.   We as a group are good for two trips a year.

Heck, way back when we used to plan a trip two weeks before public school started back up simply so Toymaker (a teacher) could plan to come without any complications.

Planning these things to dodge folk's issues has always been the goal.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 09/22/13 at 16:12:28

MM, you've been to WD's place now.   You have seen Lancer and Verslagen be all content simply to shoot their guns some and fiddle some with their bikes.   We have all aged out some, getting somewhat more "all old and easy going" and a little less Dragonish ....

We have seen pics of your place and it looks good for camping tent style with a barn available in case of really really nasty weather.   Got a range on it for rifle/pistol shooting?

You have been EVERYWHERE we have ever gone in every style we have ever done gone and done it -- hotel hopping, Dragon Lodge, Blue Ridge, Little Switzerland and all the rest of the ways and places.  

Which style of trip seemed to work best to you ??

REMEMBER, You are the hyper one who wants to go DO things every day --- so propose us a set of trips for this upcoming year.   Remember, our group size is running 5 or less on any given trip lately, so them little mobile "jump around from place to place" trips are possible as well as one decent sized hotel room can hold a 3-4 person group.

You have seen us plug down plans for a early summer late spring trip and a early fall trip for the last 3 years.   Some folks can do both, some folks tend to do one or the other.  You go to all of them, so you are our base line.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #38 - 09/22/13 at 22:26:14

Well !!! Wink

I doin't know about being a Base-Line , but  Cheesy

I'm thinking :  ...  ... ...   The barn loft is empty (mostley). and would be a great place to put cots ,Plent of room for tents too.   The wife will tolerate a group running through the shower (long as everbody brings their own towl  and such.)  Hot water size needs an hour between showers ,  we have two bathrooms , and the fire pit is allways ready  ,    The BBQ grill (four burner size)  is hooked up to the 500 gal tank and  can do 32 frozen patties in quick time.

Lynchburg Choppers host a Bike Rally every year on father's day weekend.  Poker run and main day Saturday.    So if we got together earier in the week  we could do :

A "Day Ride" every day of the week with-out too much overlaping .

Or

Do the Jack Daniels tour and short ride   type of thing  every day.  

South Pitburg is where "Lodge Cook ware"  is made (company store) and its a nice ride down Hwy 56 ( 3 hr. tour) type ride.   I could come up with one for ever day for a week or two ! Wink

There is "Big Daddy's " gun store right the other side of the AL. line that would make a day trip.

The list can go on and on !  Wink Wink

I live on State road Hwy 129 just west of Lynchburg .   There is a web-site called  "Roads and Rides" http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/tn_mid_south.html
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/tn_southeast.html
 just pick middle TN.  and check out what pops up !  Smiley   Doin't cull-out a ride just becouse it might get us too far from home ... we can do a "Price-Line" room or two if need be !  Cool

O Yea  ...  My shooting bench is set-up year around.   I used to shoot "Iron Turkey , small bore"  so the 22 range has regulation size targets (rifle and pistol).
The centerfire targets include : 12" iron milk Jug , 2" and 4" spinners , Deer size iron plates on legs at 250 & 350 yds.  and then 8.5 x 11 paper target holders of various forms.
We just have to make sure the cows are not behind the range area.

On the shot gun side I've got one spring loaded thrower and one hand held type.   We normally set up those in the hay field.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 09/23/13 at 04:33:57

OK, so now all you lookie loo's have got some OPTIONS to pick some stuff out from in-between.

You got two trip periods, late spring/early summer (as early as it gets up to warm enough in the mountains) and late summer, just before the leaves turn.

You got western Tennesse,  central Tennesse, and NC mountains.

You got tent camping for free, $25 a night log cabins and $30 a night Dragon Lodges.

Actually, everything that exists is spread out on the table in front of you.

So, start talking ....

We also know what happens if you don't talk
-- MM cooks up a plan and we wind up doing that by default.   Or I go do it, which amounts to the same thing if you don't talk about what you want.  

Either way it isn't optimal (doesn't really fit your needs) because your fingers never moved to tell us what sort of trip you really wanted.

So, start typing ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 09/23/13 at 06:37:39

My wife and I are going down to the BlueRidge Motorcycle campground on October 15 & 16th.  It is her fall break from teaching and we have not been away together this year....so we are going to do some fall hiking.  I am not taking a bike - but the cabins and campground were enjoyable and peaceful.

For the groups 2014 Dragon Run.......I would not mind staying one or two nights at the Dragon INN......the excitement and Carnival atmosphere is enjoyable for a bit.  Since I normaly don't arrive until sometime Wednesday.....maybe a Wednesday overnight at the Dragon....and then moving on to other places.

Dave  

« Last Edit: 09/23/13 at 09:46:33 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 09/23/13 at 09:36:45

Yup, it is a place you could take your wife and not get bushwacked by the rowdies.   And she could find some other ladies to talk to, most likely.

An issue with the Dragon Lodge, they used to would not let you leave your car and trailer if you go somewhere else for a night or so.   I'll contact them and ask again since they are a new management group and may have changed that policy.

Conversely, we have met at the Blue Ridge before and unloaded, left the trucks cars and trailers and came back there at the end of the trip to stay for a bit.  

Remember, close to a weekend and all these places want you to lock and prepay for a 2 day spread to just to get a reservation.   So a logical plan would be to gather at the Blue Ridge early, unload the vehicles then leave to ride up to the Dragon for a night or two before the weekend lock in periods start on Friday.

I could prime that action by going up early and taking a Blue Ridge cabin on a Tuesday, then we could all meet, unload on Wednesday and make it up to the Dragon by a late check in time on Wednesday.   This way you could stay a bit at the Dragon away from the lock in periods.

We'll see what the Dragon lodge has to say about leaving our vehicles since that was a few years ago.   I will also touch base with the Blue Ridge to make sure they haven't changed duing the years as well.

« Last Edit: 09/25/13 at 08:34:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 09/25/13 at 08:42:16

Another mix  for a longer trip could be showing up at MM's place on a Saturday, spending a day or three shooting & kicking around the area before moving leasurely on down to the Dragon to complete the week.

Some folks like week long trips, some workin' stiff type folks like shorter 3-4 day trips ....  this way Dave could pick us up at the Dragon for the 3-4 days we would be there.

Lancer, what sort of mix seems to suit your fancy the best?

We got a mix of Blue Ridge & Dragon ....

We got a mix of MM's place (shootin'campin') and Dragon ....

Hey, talk up boys and girls ..... we is discussing the "general spacing of the thing" in an attempt to give everybody the best trip we can cook up.   You sitting there just reading along ain't helping us do that -- move yer fingers a bit how about it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #43 - 09/25/13 at 10:12:23

I'll be watching this thread. I don't really have any input about where or when, but I might be interested in showing up next year. It all depends on the work situation. The owner of the lumber yard where I work is actively trying to sell the property. I'll know better about my work situation by the end of next month(hopefully). There is also going to be a local trip (N.H., Maine, Vermont) next year for anyone wanting to make a trip north. We'll see how things go.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #44 - 09/25/13 at 20:12:45

Lancer, what sort of mix seems to suit your fancy the best?

Not at all sure at this point.  I'm watching the thread but it will be sometime after the first of the year before I even have a clue.
If I am able to get there it will not matter where it's located or when.
It's all about funding.  I'm thinking I need a piggy bank for it.

« Last Edit: 09/26/13 at 03:05:21 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 37
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 11:47:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.