Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run, Summer, 2014... (Read 5605 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...
Reply #60 - 10/18/13 at 21:54:47

I'm swithching to mid mount pegs on the 883 so its in the shed . Rode the S-40 today ... Wooow ... I'd forgot how much more effort the heavy bike takes . Roll Eyes   I dipped the Little Suzuki into a 90 deg. curve and slid it sideways (kinda like BullWinkle used to do when he'd pull a rinno out of his hat) ! Grin      Used way-more effort that needed !    S-40 feels like a toy after getting off a 600 ' lb... er . Tongue

Most of my shooting range stuff is products of my shop.    I got a (store-bought) shooting bench for christmas 2 years ago , its diamond steel with a plether cover and seat.   I've designed my target frames to hold either a 8.5x11 paper or a half sheet of poster size foam board.

I have a (Steel 1/2") milk jug  - 22rimfire woin't  wiggle it at 100yds the 222 barelly does.     There is regulation size steel Turkey targets for rimfire use , (Chicken at 40, Pig at 50 , Turkey at 77 , Ram at 100 Yds.) two sets one for pistol and one for rifle.  

There's a pair of rocking  steel targets 2" and 4" circles that will be ok with all but the biggest pistols (357 OK).

For the big centerfire rifles I've got Deer size plates on legs out in the hay feild at 250 and 350 yds. from the back porch , and the said milk jug from above.   And ofcourse paper targets.  

The air rifle targes include a set of iron turkeys and some home-made spinners.

If the archery round bale gets to soft to stop a bolt I can replace it easy enough !       I do have a tarp over it and the one there now was rapped with about 4 times as much twine as nessary (seem to be working perty good).  Wink

I got a spring loaded "Skeet" tosser and a handheld one too but doin't leave them set out as I tend to favor the single projectile side of the game.  Wink

Between Swing steel targets, Killing something once in a while , and taking a bike ride when I need or want too , its easy to keep a good outlook on life !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #61 - 10/19/13 at 05:21:25

YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #62 - 10/19/13 at 08:05:33

Yea !!!

everytime my "city folk" brothers come to visit they bring their guns and leave with a "GRIN FACTOR" stuck on their faces !   Smiley

I usually have one stuck on my face too !  Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 10/19/13 at 12:41:46

I'm Back!....Well...almost.  We are on I-75 just north of Knoxville after eating lunch at the Dragon Inn and driving the Dragon in my car.  There were a ton of bikes at the Inn when we arrived about 1:00 - but surprisingly by the time we finished eating BBQ the crowd had thinned and we onlyhad to pull over a couple of times on the Dragon to let bikes go by us.  We stayed with Phil and Leslie at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground on Tue, Wed & Thursday and my wife loved it.  As usual the place was full of nice people, was very affordable, and the place is just lovely this time of year.  The cabins were booked up for Friday and we ended up having to stay in Bryson at a very expensive Comfort Inn - there was a very popular Gospel Sing event in Bryson, and the fall weekend had just about every room sold out in the area.  The only really good weather day was Friday, Wed was rainy and we did the Wheels of Time Museum, shpping in Waynesville and some driving.  On Thursday we hiked for 5 hours on the Appalachain Trail - but had no views as visibility was about 500 feet.

Now to the part that allows this to be in this Dragon 2014 Thread.  On Friday and today we drove 2 routes that we found in a flyer I picked up at the NC Welcome Center.  The flyer is titled "Maggie Valley & Waynesville, NC Smokies Motor Touring" - if I had known how great it was I would have picked up copies for you guys.  The flyer has detailed routes for driving/riding in the area.  I will see if I can find a place to order them or see if I can scan it and make copies.  Friday we drove a route that took us from Waynesville though the Nantahala Gorge and Wayah Bald - it was 145 miles and had some great rodes.....the best was Wayah Road that went from near the Nantahala Outdoor Center where we had a great lunch over to Franklin.  The road was deserted and really curvy....it was a great ride.  Today on the way out we rode the route from Waynesville to the Cherohala Skyway, then we backtracked a bit and went toward home on the Dragon.

The great location and prices at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is hard to beat.  The flyer has rides that could keep us busy for almost 2 weeks....so there is plenty of riding available in that area.  The Dragon area would be a nice place to spend a weekday or and give us access to Happy Valley....and properly allow us to continue to call this the Dragon Run and to help us appreciate the peaceful surroundings at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.

We had a great time this week.....but only on Friday would I have wanted a bike down here.  The weather was mostly wet and in the 50's, and I don't have gear for that kind of riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 10/20/13 at 15:33:39

I guess I'll wait until you get home and can get unpacked and get back into the home routine.

However, you seem to be saying you found some good stuff to go ride on.

A week's worth of good stuff.

You also are appreciating Blue Ridge more and more for location and price and the people content.

We'll talk more later as right now the only reason we were planning on going to the Dragon Hotel for that one day was so you can get your carnival fix in.

Since you got new good stuff to do maybe we should revisit that thought a bit if all your good new stuff is located far away from the Dragon Lodge and is relatively nearer to Blue Ridge.

Always remember, one night of Dragon Lodge costs the same as two nights at Blue Ridge in Cabin #4 (which can hold 4 people with 2 on the floor which makes it even cheaper to do).

I am easy either way, I haven't sent in any money any where yet ....

Ponder on it a bit and post again later, after you get unpacked and sleep some.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 10/20/13 at 17:10:55

LANCER wrote on 10/19/13 at 05:21:25:
YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW

Lancer sounds like he is recovered from the last trip pretty good, he's got his YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW back on again.

If we can gently ween Dave away from the Dragon Lodge back over to the Blue Ridge, then I can spot us a couple of 3 days of Cabin #4 for the same money that one night (plus the inevitable rule busting & wallet picking) that the Dragon Lodge would cost.  

Dave has apparently found us some new roads for us to run on in the Waynesboro area (right up the street from Blue Ridge).  You, me, Dave and MM can stay in Cabin #4 or in whatever other room/people mix comes up as some other folks will be showing up for this trip, I am pretty sure.

Potentially revised trip

June 7th through June 15th, a 9 day long (two weekends) span of time.

The trip would start Saturday at MM's and stay there through Wednesday, shifting to Blue Ridge for a Thursday Friday Saturday night with a Sunday departure for home.

That my friends is a right nice very long 9 day trip for those who go to MM's at the start of things.   MM says he's got some sort of bike rally in his town too on a weekend, so once he finds the dates and places we can cook that in too.  Folks can opt in for all of it or just part of it (and they can pick the part they like the best too).

=============================

MM, does that barn loft happen to have electricity run out to it by any chance?   I can bring a 100 ft extension chord or two if need be.   Lancer needs to plug his stuff in and I have a cell phone that needs charging every day or it goes all dead on me too.   Power would be nice, it would.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #66 - 10/20/13 at 21:17:43

Ofcouse the barn has electricticy, but only 110's worth !  Grin

The standard weekend for the Lynchburg Bike Rally is "Father's Day weekend".   I'll ask the feller who started it and sets things up to be sure (he's only open Thursday-Sunday).   But Father's Day is a perty sure bet.

So I should plan a ride for 4 days or 5 days ?  Huh

Also I could plan on cutting hay the week befor hand so the fields will be short.  Wink     or    at least "shorter"    if the weather is hot and dry its easy to see where the bullets hit on on the hills , long as the grass is short !  Cheesy

P.S.   I allready have extention cords ...  Tongue

Yall just  come on !  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #67 - 10/21/13 at 04:00:39

No problem weening me away from anything.....I am a team player and will join in whatever is decided.  Maybe stop for my Dragon fix on the way home Sunday.....or if anybody new wants a day at the Dragon we could do that on a day before we to to the Blueridge.

I will contact the Waynesville Visitors Center and see if I can get more copies of this route map.

Here is the people that made the map and they have lots more.....for a fee.
http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #68 - 10/21/13 at 14:40:13

Dave wrote on 10/21/13 at 04:00:39:
No problem weening me away from anything.....I am a team player and will join in whatever is decided.  Maybe stop for my Dragon fix on the way home Sunday.....or if anybody new wants a day at the Dragon we could do that on a day before we to to the Blueridge.

I will contact the Waynesville Visitors Center and see if I can get more copies of this route map.

Here is the people that made the map and they have lots more.....for a fee.
http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/

Nice maps; all motorcycle all the time; yea !

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #69 - 10/21/13 at 21:46:55

So how many Hrs.-a-day in the saddle is good ?

I'm good with 6 Gallons  a day !  Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #70 - 10/22/13 at 03:02:22

Six slow rounds per galloop is about right, more than that tends to overheat the barrel.  
But then you can switch off to the other rifle and give it six slow ones while the first barrel cools off good ...

Cheesy

June 7th through June 15th a 9 day long (two weekends) span of time.

We got 9 days to play with, two places we want to stay and one place we want to at least visit for a while.

How about we plan to stay Sat-Weds AM at MM's place, go to the Dragon Carnival Weds AM through late afternoon (or if Dave wanted to reserve a Dragon 3-man room we could even stay the night) then we can roll on down to Blue Ridge for Thurs - Saturday night in Cabin #4 on my nickel.   Sunday could contain MM's Fathers Day Rally for those headed back in that direction.

I guess the key part is if any newbies are going to want to come, in which case they would really want to stay that one night at the Dragon.  

If no newbies, then we don't have to stay at the Dragon unless Dave just wants to.

Really, we need to plan out these trips for the folks we know are going to show up and catch the others as they come (if they come).

This layout gives 4 days shooting and screwing around at MM's place, a day/night/day at the Dragon and 3 days at Blue Ridge trying out all of Dave's new roads.

Dave and I are still working, so if we reserve the rooms we got the money to front them.  This can lower the bite for the guys who aren't working and makes it all a bit more reasonable for the core group who really really are going to be showing up.

==============

Now Al, Oldie, et. all  --  if you really are planning on coming you need to ring in on this here planing stage with a firm Hell Yes I am Coming so folks can be sure to plan out the spaces for your corpus to sleep.  

We are still at the vague "tossing ideas up at the wall" stage so please also give your opinions on the general flow of things too.

I keep on ASSuMEing that everybody knows what we do at each stop but that isn't true for a newbie now is it?

At MM's we sleep in the loft of his barn on air mattresses, we shoot misc. guns and ride bikes around going to get stuff to eat.  It is low stress, sit in a lawn chair, clean your rifle, talk and drink a beer out of the cooler type stuff.

The Dragon is a noisy frenetic carnival atmosphere, with roaring bikes and lots of testosterone dripping off the roadsides, all flowing down into the fern choked hollows where all the scrap Hurleys rest in pieces.  

Folks like to try to die fairly regularly up at the Dragon ... airlift medical helicopters, cops lights flashing, tickets given out daily, that sort of stuff will go on while we are there.   Everything is gougey pricey at the Dragon Lodge and you have to ride 30-45 minutes one way just to find something other than Dragon BBQ/burgers to eat.

Blue Ridge is generally lots of older bikers, lots of couples, lots of touring and adventure bikes of all sorts and types.   Pace is more sedate than the Dragon.   People are nicer and walking around talking to folks is commonly done in the evenings.  You meet interesting people with interesting stories to tell at the Blue Ridge.

Blue Ridge is calming and relaxing, plus they will feed you 3 meals a day for a reasonable cost right on the site.  Nearest sit down meal of your choice is 20 minutes away at Waynesville or 5-7 minutes away at the Jukebox or the little Mexican place.  Depends on just how relaxed you are, really.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #71 - 10/22/13 at 08:30:41

Well guys

If we leave my place Wensday +-10:00hrs then we'll get to Dragon central about 16:00hrs.   Just in time to settle in befor dinner ...OR... instead of heading North to Dragon area , we can go south to BlueRidge camp and be there about 16:00/17:00hrs. ... and catch the Dragon Thursday ?  ...  either way we WIN !  Wink  

I seem to remember the ride from the Dragon to BlueRidge camp being a couple hrs ?  Huh

I'd like to do "Day Rides" and show ya'll around the area here .   IF anyone is interested in the JackDaniel's tour we can do that one day.  

old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #72 - 10/22/13 at 09:07:27

Okay, i'm still healing up, but hell or high water I will be there. Although, the wife is talking about going to tennesse to pay her respects at her mothers resting place, and wants to make a vacation out of it. So, I will probably try to get one of the 2 queen bed cabins if she comes, if not I can do the same thing as this past session and split with whomever.

I am currently trying to sell the Harley and her 250 Honda rebel to purchase my own savage, if it don't work out..... i'll be riding my little toy Kawasaki and be towing 2 bikes on a trailer (her savage and my 300).

Either way, i'm not gonna miss it....and if some unforeseen event comes into play, i'm going to pay in advance so if I don't show someone who tents it could take my bunk. (if I am going alone), (if I rent the queen cabin I will probably get refund for that).

Further info on me to come.... (gotta ensure the wife and I are on the same page in the same book) Grin

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 12:49:40 by Dave »  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #73 - 10/22/13 at 09:49:19

ORider

What part of TN. ya looking at ?   It could be a "Day Ride" from my place ???    

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 10/22/13 at 09:51:10

Let's see, yo active memory, wake up old son !!  

MM lives near Lynchburg Tn, right?    If so, Google what do you have to say about it?  

Yep, Jack Daniels is located there so that's gotta be about right.

3+ hours to Deals Gap, NC   4+ hours to Cruso, NC

This means based on simple distance the plan would be to go to Deals Gap and the Dragon first, stay the night and then go on to Blue Ridge.

Old_Rider, by all means bring your wife with you to the Blue Ridge.   She will likely like it a lot and what she sees there will make her want to come back again sometime or another.    Look forward to taking her and tell her about Dave's wife going there and get her to looking forward to it, too.  It is a nice place for couples to ride together.

She worries about you going off and getting hurt again, so she will go just to take care of you.   She loves you.

The group is at our best behavior there at Blue Ridge anyway and you would get a much more positive review of the whole group there at Blue Ridge than at the Dragon Lodge (all the noisy testosterone dripping stuff and beer drinking doesn't bring out our best sides you know).

Plus we could trust her to only tell the truth about our little escapades, right?

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 13:55:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.