Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print
2013 Going to see WD in September... 14th to 21st. (Read 3320 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 2013 Going to see Lancer in Oklahoma
Reply #45 - 12/24/12 at 03:17:01

I vote for Tenn!  Wink

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2013 Going to see Lancer in Oklahoma
Reply #46 - 12/24/12 at 11:12:34

OldFeller  your right ... about not to be named folks wineeeing after half-a-days ride.    Could be some seat and foot rest combows are better than others.   OR    Could be some folks need to get out more and ride.?

I'm good with what ever the majority plans.

Life is just too short !

Lancer a ride up your way in the middle of the summer would be great!

WD we are allmost neighbors ... If we meet at your place I'm in for sure.

The Wife and I have just short of 100 acres in Lynchburg TN. lots of places to ride, and lots of camping room .    If everyone brought their own cot we could camp in the barn loft , play guitars and howell all night.

Anybody checked on the Suzuki Owners club ride this spring ?

« Last Edit: 01/17/13 at 09:56:23 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 Going to see WD or MM in Tennessee
Reply #47 - 12/25/12 at 06:32:36

MM,  would we blow you cover staying at your place?   Somehow I think our normal shenanigans wouldn't play too good in some of the theaters you live in and just think of what our tall tales would do, even the true ones ....

WD has no history to be worried about, he's never ridden on the wild ride.

Example:  Speeding -- you never break the speed limit, right?    Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #48 - 12/25/12 at 07:53:17

If we all took off at the same time would we affect the spin of the earth ? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 12/25/12 at 09:42:37

And if we ever told what you really were doing when you shredded the primary crank splines on your sportster, would it jive with your home story very much at all?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #50 - 12/25/12 at 10:07:28

Looks like I'd best get my repaint/rewire done. And at least ome fishing dock replanked (no big deal, had a nice red oak fall over from the wind a couple months ago, rough cut will do fine).

We'll get some kind of fire ring set up. Only have 10 or 15 cords worth of white oak down right now though...  Roll Eyes

How many tent pads do I need to get level?

And when do you guys want to try and set this up for?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 12/25/12 at 11:33:33

Planning is easy,

WD, here is your seasonal weather pattern tool all adjusted to your zip code.

http://www.usa.com/38011-tn-weather.htm

All you have to do is tell us when you want us there, then the boys can ring in on if they are gonna go or not.

Grin

Me, I need to hitch a truck ride with somebody headed from this way thereabouts so I will chime in when my ride shows up.

=========================

Example:  August has the least rain with average temps for the area code being a mathematical 80 with highest readings averaging 90o and a low of 70o -- however, the average humidity in this period is 85%.

September is more moderate all the way around, take 10 away from all of the above numbers.  Still plenty warm enough at night 60o for a light sleeping bag.  Humidity is 10 points less as well.

=========================

WD, you don't happen to have a little shooting range set up on your place, do you?   I know Lancer likes to shoot, and that would be late enough in the year for him to mebbe be able to come.

« Last Edit: 12/26/12 at 09:52:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: 2013 Going to see WD in Tennessee
Reply #52 - 12/25/12 at 20:59:09

Backstop is 10' high, 40' wide, 100' deep.

Those weather figures are way off, it was in the 80s in late February last year. By July the pond had dropped by 1/4 acre or more.

Correct zip is 38011. I'll PM you my address so you can google map it.

Time of year is irrelevant. I work from home. Summer should have close to 2 acres of garden in production.

Note, we do have some "unfriendly" wildlife around here... skunks, coral snakes (haven't seen one), timber rattlers (never seen one though), copperheads, cotton mouths, wild honey bees, fire ants, carpenter bees... and feral hogs. None of which have ever bothered any of us.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #53 - 12/25/12 at 21:32:59

I like those wings on the smilley face !    I'll say ,  I doin't lie near as much as my Speedometer does ....

Being WD is in west TN mabe some of the folks from the middle states might make the ride.

The sooner I can get a date on the planner the more permant it is .

We get a couple of warm dry weeks about the last of March---first of April  every year  ....  but I'm OK with later in the year too.   The last of May I'm usually gettting Hay up and there are some HOT Dry weeks about then also.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/26/12 at 23:06:02 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #54 - 12/26/12 at 04:13:30

This next year is totally up in the air for me.  I hope stuff is progressing at a good rate so I can get away at some point before the cold comes in.
There are just too many variables and I likely won't know until summer if there is a chance to make it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #55 - 12/26/12 at 06:38:18

The cold is here now... ice/sleet last night, woke up to snow this morning. Less than an inch but it will have the county shut down. The "bubba mobiles" (street spec monster trucks) are absolutely useless if the pavement isn't clean and dry, and they are very common around here. I have only rear wheel drive pickups, they handle it just fine. So do the bikes.

Drifter Doug (coworker from out west, lives on our place now as gamekeeper/farmhand) and I are going to try and get the BIG trailer moved to the pond. But it has been parked since early 1942 (1930s single axle semi trailer), so no promises. Needs a couple floor boards replaced and some windows.  Plan is to add a small woodstove, composting toilet, chest of drawers, table and some bunks. Also have a 1920s built outbuilding we'd like to move down there and add bunks to. More amenities will be going in as time/budget allow, Lisa wants a beach volleyball court put in. Pond banks are going to be squared off and reinforced, pond will be deepened, boat launch will be deepened and formalized...

You guys set a date. Doesn't matter to me.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 12/26/12 at 10:16:00

Here is the fixed weather tool.

http://www.usa.com/38011-tn-weather.htm

As far as date planning, there are two temperature friendly zones, one is in late May to early June and the other is in September.   The September band has less humidity and less rain than late May, early June band.   If you shoot for summer summer, you get rain and humidity to go along with your heat.

Somebody else who is planning on going tell us about your timing issues as most of us can go any time.   I will truck up with somebody or else just drive me a car and carry me some guns (I'm easy as I ain't riding I-40 for 14 hours to jest show up all cripp'd up & grumpy).

I googled the place, it's got some buck nekid people swimming in the pond jest a waving up at the satellite.

« Last Edit: 12/27/12 at 00:03:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 12/26/12 at 10:34:59

September time frame has me hopeful.
ironbutting it out there would leave my butt in a sling for the time I was there, so trailerin' it there would be a must.  And if I could pick someone on the way would make it a hole lot easier.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #58 - 12/26/12 at 11:35:34

verslagen1 wrote on 12/26/12 at 10:34:59:
September time frame has me hopeful.
ironbutting it out there would leave my butt in a sling for the time I was there, so trailerin' it there would be a must.  And if I could pick someone on the way would make it a hole lot easier.

YEEEEEE  HAAAAAA  Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 12/27/12 at 23:14:24

To celebrate our coming together on a site and getting a sorta date selected, I have begun to put me together some WD rounds -- yeah, I'm off for two whole days so I had to go find me something to do.

My caliber of choice in my approaching old age is a light 7mm-08 rifle.  Today I am putting up light 120 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters over IMR 4895 powder to give me about 3,000 fps out of my 22" tube.

Odd bullet, the 120 grain Pro-Hunter.  It has some history behind it.

It was originally intended for the 7x57 Mauser as a light coyote type "varmint bullet" but in the '60s-'70s folks began to put them into the new 7mm Remington Magnums and at 3,300+ fps the cup and core construction began blowing up like a hand grenade on impact.  

Tore some yotes flat in two it did.

Numerous complaints (actual letters back then no less) prompted Sierra to start using the cut down jackets from a heavier 7mm Rem Mag hunting bullet so the bullet would expand more normally at high speeds for the 7mm Rem Mag folks too (folks shot coyote for the hides back then, remember).

But, by cutting the longer bullet's core jacket short to make the little bullet (it was thicker at the tip accordingly) they made a bullet that held together too well to be called "varmint bullet" any more, even at 3,300 fps it expanded and mushroomed in a controlled fashion.

What they stumbled upon was the precursor to the bonded controlled expansion bullets of the 90's.   Push it faster, the mushroom gets bigger.  Expansion starts at 1,900 fps and total blow up fragmentation begins at 3,500 fps.

And in a 7mm-08 it is a wimpy shouldered old man's dream bullet.   It is light and fits the throat real good while sitting pretty on the powder charges with no compaction.  

I can load it to 2,600 fps and it is a lovely little plinker round that can kill a deer if one happens by.   The expansion isn't extreme, but that means the little bullet still makes it all the way through the deer at the lower launch speed (can you say balanced expansion?)

And at 3,000 fps MV it can fly 250 yards and be cooking at over 2,100 fps when it hits a deer.   If one comes close in real close, I go for the behind the shoulder lung shot, at 100+ yard distances a shoulder breaking shot is good to keep them where you shot them.

Being old school cup and core, the bullets are always reasonably priced.  And, since it isn't modern or popular with the prairie dog varmint shooters (because it ISN'T a blow up bullet) it goes on blem sale about every other year when the stock on hand gets all ugly & tarnished.

Last set of 3 boxes came from a store inventory liquidation, I paid like $8 for a box of 100.

Tarnished shoots fine fer me .....        Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 04:01:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Going to see WD in September... 14th to 21st.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.