Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Send Topic Print
2013 Going to see WD in September... 14th to 21st. (Read 3320 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 2013 Going to see WD in Tennessee
Reply #60 - 12/28/12 at 02:23:42

If I am able to make it WD's this year I will be totin my 45-70 Lever.
Sometimes I just like the heavier torque of a Big Block vs small block.   Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #61 - 12/28/12 at 08:14:33

Love is a slow recoiling 2,050 fps 350-400 grain hunk of burning love.   If I were facing down a bear or bison, that would be the short stopping medicine.

Then I would have to go see the shoulder doctor to get him to put it all back together again ....  

I'll stick with my little light 7mm-08 wimpy gun for any walking hunting.  

If it is blind or beanfield hunting, I have an accurate heavy barrel 30-06 that pushes a fast 165 grain bullet with a mil-dot 24x scope, so if distances are known and I can see it clearly I might be tempted to shoot it.  Recoil on the heavy rifle is mild, but getting down on the ground for long periods is getting harder to do.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #62 - 12/28/12 at 23:06:39

If you are going to truck your bike over, no problem. If you prefer a real bed the closest motel is about 8 miles from the farm.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 12/29/12 at 07:49:19

WD, do you have a ramp or shall one of the boys bring one?

Do you have a bench set up on your range already?   Sandbags?   What do we need to plan to bring, in other words.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #64 - 12/29/12 at 08:15:47

I've got folding ramps. Cattle loading dock is long gone, but I do have a backhoe/front end loader combo...

Primitive shooting area, we just shoot off hand, sitting or prone. If something needs to be sighted in, bench rest vice is set on the hood of the truck.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 Going to see WD in September
Reply #65 - 01/16/13 at 12:24:27

OK, I'll come -- have ordered trailer hitch and will buy a small trailer.

What are Tennessee's rules for transporting fire arms in a car?  Anybody got a clue?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #66 - 01/17/13 at 07:25:27

Unloaded unless you have a carry permit. Long arms have to be unloaded with or without carry permit, too many poachers in unit L counties... see below...
http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/hunting/deer-hunting/

I live in a Unit L county.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #67 - 01/17/13 at 07:31:06

WD wrote on 01/17/13 at 07:25:27:
Unloaded unless you have a carry permit. Long arms have to be unloaded with or without carry permit, too many poachers in unit L counties... see below...
http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/hunting/deer-hunting/

I live in a Unit L county.

Gee WD...... I thought we had screwy deer hunting regs in Kentucky  Huh

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #68 - 01/17/13 at 07:47:07

Living in a 3 doe per day unit sucks hunting wise. They are tiny, spooky, and constantly changing when/where they are located. I got 2 this year with an old .44Spl revolver, knock downs some poacher had shot at and didn't bother to track. By the time I found and finished them, buzzard bait.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #69 - 01/17/13 at 08:00:04

WD wrote on 01/17/13 at 07:47:07:
Living in a 3 doe per day unit sucks hunting wise. They are tiny, spooky, and constantly changing when/where they are located. I got 2 this year with an old .44Spl revolver, knock downs some poacher had shot at and didn't bother to track. By the time I found and finished them, buzzard bait.  Angry

WD we are starting to see the same lack of quality around here. Overpopulation due to habitat loss from the building boom a few years back and the restrictions on hunting forced on us by the PETA types has hurt the wildlife in general. I still live out in the country but it's grown so much I can't go 1/4 mile without being in someones yard!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #70 - 01/17/13 at 11:32:56

Checked the opinions of folks answering that question on line -- sounds like rifles had best be carried bolt out in the trunk, ammo in a locked suitcase in the back seat and bolts in another locked suitcase.  

Guns must be separated so you can't get to the various pieces easily, even then Tennessee cops will hassle you in a stop situation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 01/17/13 at 12:11:04

fnbastards.
lock the cases and mail the keys.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #72 - 01/21/13 at 06:55:30

I'm thinking and shopping now for the second trip.  Got my trailer all sussed out and will have one trip under my belt already by September to prove out all the trailer tricks.

The pic above is Federal pulled 150 grain 7mm bullets, $80 for 500 bullets.   Likely the bullets will be mixed source over time, but some of the 500 will likely be Speer Mag Tips and some will be Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.  I bet I can polish up the entire lot then weight then length sort them to get like with like.

Both bullets are good for a 7mm rem mag (that's what they were taken off of) and both bullets were considered premium bullets in their era.  Both have been replaced by fancier, newer candidates.  I have a 7 rem mag with a long eye on it, but I prefer my much lighter handier short action 7mm-08 for carrying in the woods.  

Trophy Bonded Bear Claws will be for the 7mm Mag (the partition like construction holds together at 3,000+ fps hyperspeed impacts after the softpoint front part completely explodes in the lung cavity the remaining solid shank continues out the other side of the animal for a good blood trail).  This bullet was originally called "Safari grade" and was used for dangerous game animals and really big stuff like elk and moose.  It was developed to one-up the Nosler Partition bullet ..... and like the Partition was "good for any speed any distance".

The Mag Tips and the other cup and core styles will go into the 7mm-08 as they will only be going 2,700 fps out of that rifle.   With this gun, standard opening bullets is all you need as the speeds are just about always cup and core range.  You simply can't get to the hyperspeed arenas with the 7mm-08  unless you use very very light bullets, so the Mag Tips will be fine for that gun.

Notice I searched for and found the "same" 150 grain bullet weight that is "top end" for the 7mm-08 and "middle of the road" for the 7mm Rem Mag so I can use the same bullet in both quite happily.

You can still buy blem plain jane cup and core bullets and such occasionally at this same $16 per hundred general price range, but the going prices of blem bullets have doubled and tripled in the last year alone (supply and demand has taken most good bullets "out of stock" as blems most all of the time now-a-days as they sell out well before they tarnish up good due to Obama).  

So the best deals generally are "obsolete" bullet styles like this one, not that they suddenly quit working or being world class and all -- they are just out of fad at the moment.   Bullets are the man equivalent of women's stylish shoes, they all walk fine but the current style counts too.

Girls .... did you know that right now multi-colored plastic tip toed shoes are in and last year's small square tip toes (the kind that don't batter up in the magazine) are definitely out?  

They are so 1970's tacky ugly, really now  ....

But, did you also know ..... that the plastic tip toe shoes everyone loves so much right now do batter up in the magazine, occasionally (rarely) break off completely and the loose tip jams up in the magazine and plastic tips are always over half evaporated by hyperspeed air friction before the long flying bullet ever reaches the 300 yard target?  

And that most deer are actually shot between 70 and 120 yards?   Elk between 100 yards and 250 yards?  That most hunt clubs would immediately end your membership if you took a shot at a game animal at over 350 yards (it's in their by-laws as unsportman-like conduct)?

Grin

« Last Edit: 01/21/13 at 11:12:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #73 - 01/21/13 at 08:44:14

300 yard bans? Last range I belonged to we shot bowling pins at 1000 yards... of course, the range impact zone was 5 miles deep... military base.

You guys picked a date for this shindig yet? Remember, I live here, so I'm always here...

I'm trying to get some of the local pin up models on board for this, so I'm going to need a time frame. And what do you think of opening it up a bit, maybe bring in some of the kinda local Mopar and motorcycle folks from other forums I haunt?  

Trying to get both my bikes running for the get together. Pulled the CL engine yesterday, got a good scare, vin is CL72E-XXX0001... numbers matching engine and chassis... waiting for an answer from Honda on whether or not it is really a first one of its year.

I'm going to try and fire up the 49 lowrider for it too.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 01/21/13 at 09:27:48

Nobody has stated any sort of preference for exactly when yet .... I suspect Verslagen has the longest trip so mebbe he picks the date for when he can show up, travel time and all.  

Since we don't have to make firm reservations with the Dragon "back pocket robber" hotel, we aren't having to plan a set of days way way out into the future.

You are the host, invite who you want.  Set whatever date suits whomever.  All our Dragon runs have had other bikes in them (they just couldn't keep up in the curvies).  

Trophy Bonded Bear Claw construction

« Last Edit: 01/21/13 at 11:11:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:59:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Going to see WD in September... 14th to 21st.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.