Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Oil filter prices rising fast .... (Read 653 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Oil filter prices rising fast ....
Reply #45 - 09/27/12 at 20:42:51

With the price of oil being what it is, why wouldn't you want an equally priced filter?  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 09/27/12 at 20:48:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/23/12 at 16:33:29:

Not bad looking filters at all, actually.   Look better than an EMGO, actually.

I am gonna cheat me a little cheat next time I take my big super magnet off my oil filter.  

I am gonna use my little Chinese lathe and cut into one of the magnet flat faces by 1/16" deep and take that cut from the ID hole out to the OD size of the end cap of a Hiflofiltro oil filter unit.

Now, when I want to use a EMGO filter unit I will put the flat side of the magnet to the filter housing, and when I use a Hiflofiltro filter unit I will put the dished out side to the filter housing.

This way I can use either kind of filter at will, and I still have my bypass oil filter end space correctly maintained by my little cork strips while my bulky arsed super magnet stays all properly supported .....

Wink       see, you can work your way past most unexpected things if you take a bit of time and just think your way through it.

I taped on of those "Super Magnets" to the differential on a Jeep. Drove for a month, the magnet was powder,, busted into tiny, not so super magnety, stuff.

IOW, Ill bet that magnet goes to pieces,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #47 - 09/28/12 at 04:35:34

rfw2003 wrote on 08/16/12 at 11:34:41:
Just a quick google and I found em for $2.94

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900013981

A little over 1 month later and they're up to $4.45.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #48 - 09/28/12 at 05:07:25

clearush wrote on 08/17/12 at 22:32:13:
http://www.amazon.com/1996-2012-Suzuki-DR650-DR650SE-Filter/dp/B0087720QK/ref...

$3.60 a piece shipped if you buy an 8 pack but only 3 sets left

They always say only three left.

Are these filters any good?  I wonder who makes them?

If they get a thumbs up from you know-it-alls, I'll buy the set of eight, and then sell four at cost to anyone in the Atlanta area that wants them.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 09/28/12 at 06:17:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/27/12 at 20:48:46:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/23/12 at 16:33:29:

Not bad looking filters at all, actually.   Look better than an EMGO, actually.

I am gonna cheat me a little cheat next time I take my big super magnet off my oil filter.  

I am gonna use my little Chinese lathe and cut into one of the magnet flat faces by 1/16" deep and take that cut from the ID hole out to the OD size of the end cap of a Hiflofiltro oil filter unit.

Now, when I want to use a EMGO filter unit I will put the flat side of the magnet to the filter housing, and when I use a Hiflofiltro filter unit I will put the dished out side to the filter housing.

This way I can use either kind of filter at will, and I still have my bypass oil filter end space correctly maintained by my little cork strips while my bulky arsed super magnet stays all properly supported .....

Wink       see, you can work your way past most unexpected things if you take a bit of time and just think your way through it.

I taped on of those "Super Magnets" to the differential on a Jeep. Drove for a month, the magnet was powder,, busted into tiny, not so super magnety, stuff.

IOW, Ill bet that magnet goes to pieces,

Why is that, Justin?   It is a big 3/8 thick lump of nickel plated powdered metal that has been in there for years and years now.   Do you think shaving off 50 thousandths off of only part of one side is going to structurally weaken it that much?  

I guess if I can avoid the risk mebbe I should, them magnets are relatively more "fragile" than solid steel after all.

I could sub in a thinner "O" ring on the back side of the filter to create the extra room that is needed for the stack up -- I've got me an "O" ring set from Harbor Freight that has the right ID to grip the spud and the diameter change is about right, so I'll try that instead.

Thanks for the thought -- worth pursuing I think.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #50 - 09/28/12 at 07:02:06

What does the magnet do?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 09/28/12 at 07:42:37

It amuses me by collecting all the ferrous bits and pieces, including those that are too fine to be collected by the oil filter.

Some would try to argue that removing all minute ferrous trash might have some slight benefit to ball bearing races and balls, but I know more ferrous trash is being made all the time and all I am really doing is giving them just one shot at doing damage instead of allowing them to recirculate time after time after time.

Like I said, it amuses me ....

If I had the guts to run some really extended drain intervals it might amuse me more, but I don't -- I still change the oil every year and change the filter every 2 years (although I have been known to reuse the filter after washing out and collecting & analysing all the stuff caught in the pleats).

It all amuses the heck out of me, and that's what counts with them super duper smagnet augmented filter systems.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #52 - 10/03/12 at 12:24:26

I took the magnet out of mine.  It just made everything fit so tightly that it bugged me.  It was handy to be able to stick tools to the side of the engine though.  At one point I though it had caused the aluminum cover to crack at the edges of the magnet.  Then I realized it had just collected some ferrous "dust" while I was riding and it had adhered to the outside of the cover at the edges of the magnet.  The magnet is on the back of my sissy bar backrest now.  Still works for tools.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #53 - 10/03/12 at 12:43:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/28/12 at 07:42:37:

It amuses me by collecting all the ferrous bits and pieces, including those that are too fine to be collected by the oil filter.

Some would try to argue that removing all minute ferrous trash might have some slight benefit to ball bearing races and balls, but I know more ferrous trash is being made all the time and all I am really doing is giving them just one shot at doing damage instead of allowing them to recirculate time after time after time.

Like I said, it amuses me ....

If I had the guts to run some really extended drain intervals it might amuse me more, but I don't -- I still change the oil every year and change the filter every 2 years (although I have been known to reuse the filter after washing out and collecting & analysing all the stuff caught in the pleats).

It all amuses the heck out of me, and that's what counts with them super duper smagnet augmented filter systems.

Wink

That's the whole reason we play with these machines, eh?  Not much else matters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:59:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil filter prices rising fast ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.