Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Oil filter prices rising fast .... (Read 653 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil filter prices rising fast ....
Reply #30 - 08/17/12 at 17:35:04

Buying 5 oil filters cheap means more burger in the chili this week.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #31 - 08/17/12 at 22:32:13

http://www.amazon.com/1996-2012-Suzuki-DR650-DR650SE-Filter/dp/B0087720QK/ref...

$3.60 a piece shipped if you buy an 8 pack but only 3 sets left

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 08/17/12 at 22:55:45

Got shipping confirmation on the $2.94 filters from the start of the thread, so I would say that they are for real.

Buy as many as you can stomach, the $6.99 shipping doesn't increase for any quantity over 3 -- to right on up there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #33 - 08/18/12 at 04:24:11

I just bought a HiFlo filter from MC Superstore for $3.99 and because I purchased enough other items, It was free shipping on the lot. Their warehouse is in Kentucky and I get the stuff in 2 days usually.  It's fast and easy so I won't quibble over a few cents I might save elsewhere.  Cool

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 08/18/12 at 04:42:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/17/12 at 17:35:04:
Buying 5 oil filters cheap means more burger in the chili this week.

Did you really just compare a quarterly expense to a weekly expense? And I'm pretty sure that if you laid down $20 for oil filters this week instead of spreading out that expenditure over the next year, you'd have a lot LESS money for chili this week.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 08/18/12 at 09:30:05

No, it was even worse.  

5 motorcycle oil filters is a 5 year supply (multi-year car stuff expense) out of my pocket and the wife buys the weekly hamburger along with the rest of the groceries out of her monthly household cash flow -- it was actually a false premise "statement for effect" as the two were actually completely unrelated budget-wise.

But we were talking to Willy in Billish, so it really doesn't matter -- it made sense to him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 08/20/12 at 12:44:58

Boofer wrote on 08/17/12 at 17:07:21:
Apparently you guys never buy groceries, or you wouldn't be so concerned over oil filters.  Grin

Some things can be bought in bulk and will keep.  If I find a particularly good bulk deal on groceries that I'd normally buy anyway, and they'll keep long enough for me to make use of them, I will often take advantage of that sort of thing.  I'll buy a year's worth of razors or 3 month's worth of soap at Sam's.  To me, oil filters work the same way.  Fresh produce like tomatoes or bananas; not so much.  There are exceptions there too, of course.  I'll vacuum seal and freeze some stuff and dehydrate a few things.  I haven't ever taken up canning though my mother and grandmother did when I was a kid.  We'd get loads of stuff from the local farmer's market and spend days shucking corn, stringing beans, scrubbing and slicing cucumbers and okra, and washing figs, strawberries, etc.  We'd have Ball and Mason jars full of pickles, relish, preserves and such that would last months or years on shelves in the garage.  So yeah, buying in bulk is viable fo a lot of stuff, including some groceries.  And, as stated above, I'll take my savings when I can.  I have one motorcycle and I plan to keep her running for quite a few more years.  A handful of oil filters is workable for me.

Almost forgot... I received my shipping confirmation this morning from the supplier listed at the beginning of this thread (oemcycle.com).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 08/20/12 at 13:14:23

Got my filters in, they honored cost and shipping so I have no beef at all with the low cost supplier.

Filters are different physically, with the Emgo and the Hiflo both coming in at 45 pleats but with the filter paper being thicker and more flat folded on the Hiflo and the width (or height) of the filter being 1/16" wider/longer than the Emgo.

Bypass valve entry hole is very slightly smaller on the Hiflow, but that could be simple punch wear in the tooling and not be a design item,  in any case the diameter difference is trivial to the function of a bypass valve.

Emgo's have always been noted as being a little bit shorter than a stock Suzuki filter, so I would say the Hiflo is likely running closer to the stock filter in its width/height dimensions.   OD diameter is same same with both filters, ditto for the spring recess.  

In a stock Savage both filters will fit and function fine.

Wink    Hey, for only $2.94 a filter, they ain't bad by anybody's estimation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #38 - 08/20/12 at 13:23:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/20/12 at 13:14:23:
Got my filters in, they honored cost and shipping so I have no beef at all with the low cost supplier.

Filters are different physically, with the Emgo and the Hiflo both coming in at 45 pleats but with the filter paper being thicker and more flat folded on the Hiflo and the width (or height) of the filter being 1/16" wider/longer than the Emgo.

Bypass valve entry hole is very slightly smaller on the Hiflow, but that could be simple punch wear in the tooling and not be a design item,  in any case the diameter difference is trivial to the function of a bypass valve.

Emgo's have always been noted as being a little bit shorter than a stock Suzuki filter, so I would say the Hiflo is likely running closer to the stock filter in its width/height dimensions.   OD diameter is same same with both filters, ditto for the spring recess.  

In a stock Savage both filters will fit and function fine.

Wink    Hey, for only $2.94 a filter, they ain't bad by anybody's estimation.

The HiFlo is what was advertised at the oemcycle.com link near the beginning of this thread for $2.94.  Did you use oemcycle.com and if so, did they send you HiFlo or Emgo?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 08/20/12 at 15:45:50

Yes, I used oemcycle.com and yes they shipped Hiflow filters.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #40 - 08/23/12 at 15:15:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/20/12 at 15:45:50:
Yes, I used oemcycle.com and yes they shipped Hiflow filters.

Thanks.  Yeah, mine arrived today and are exactly as ordered.

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 08/23/12 at 16:33:29

Not bad looking filters at all, actually.   Look better than an EMGO, actually.

I am gonna cheat me a little cheat next time I take my big super magnet off my oil filter.  

I am gonna use my little Chinese lathe and cut into one of the magnet flat faces by 1/16" deep and take that cut from the ID hole out to the OD size of the end cap of a Hiflofiltro oil filter unit.

Now, when I want to use a EMGO filter unit I will put the flat side of the magnet to the filter housing, and when I use a Hiflofiltro filter unit I will put the dished out side to the filter housing.

This way I can use either kind of filter at will, and I still have my bypass oil filter end space correctly maintained by my little cork strips while my bulky arsed super magnet stays all properly supported .....

Wink       see, you can work your way past most unexpected things if you take a bit of time and just think your way through it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #42 - 09/27/12 at 15:33:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/16/12 at 10:38:02:

I took the two most common filters, EMGO 10-85900 and the Hiflofiltro H137 and went to the Shopzillas of the world.   Damme, but the prices were high and they varied all over the place.

Anyone happen to know the Wix number?  or if they even make a filter to fit?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #43 - 09/27/12 at 15:47:25

prechermike wrote on 09/27/12 at 15:33:36:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/16/12 at 10:38:02:

I took the two most common filters, EMGO 10-85900 and the Hiflofiltro H137 and went to the Shopzillas of the world.   Damme, but the prices were high and they varied all over the place.

Anyone happen to know the Wix number?  or if they even make a filter to fit?

Doesn't look like they do.   Tried various different brands for the filter cross ref part numbers and none of them will match up to a wix filter.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #44 - 09/27/12 at 18:55:20

I think I found a Fram number once but no one had it. I just gave up & got EMGOs on sale ay JCW.

Suzuki has some weird oil filters for some strange reason. And it doesn't get much better for their bikes with spin on filters like the C50.
They use a thread pitch different from everything else so there are few aftermarket filters that fit them. Cool

I have a lot more choices for my V-Star. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil filter prices rising fast ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.