stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Garage Door Opener
09/27/12 at 17:29:38

Anyone had issues wondering how to close the garage door when you leave or open it when you get home without getting off the bike or taking the big 'ol remote from your car with you?  

I got one of these and mounted it on my bike where it is "hidden" and also away from the elements should it get caught in the rain.  I have it stuck on with industrial velcro, but also have a zip tie through the key ring onto the frame tube just in case.

The range is not great (~40 feet or so at best) but it's worth the $20 (ebay) for the little gem and it is easy to program.

Link to the gadget: http://www.skylinkhome.com/us/products/ut/69n.html

Pics below of mine.

remote.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Garage Door Opener
Reply #1 - 09/27/12 at 17:43:12

On the C50 we have a switch above the headlight for passing lights (it's a momentary switch that flicks the highbeams). Some of the eggheads from that forum wired their garage door openers to that.

I used to carry my opener in my jacket. I had a pocket on the front left side about the size of the opener and later an iPod Nano when the motor burnt out.

I wouldn't trust the zip tie to the key ring. My key fob is somewhere on highway 84 and that was on it's own ring.

--Steve

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 09/27/12 at 17:46:03

I have mine on my key ring and the rain hasn't hurt it yet after all these years.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 09/27/12 at 18:02:20

You could always take one of the key fob type ones apart and hard wire a switch to it, plus hard wire it into the power then install it in the headlight bucket.  Also it shouldn't be to hard while your doing that to wire in a better antenna so that the range is a little bit better.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/27/12 at 18:46:02

You don't have one of these?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 09/27/12 at 19:17:16

Serowbot wrote on 09/27/12 at 18:46:02:
You don't have one of these?... Huh...

Yeah, I did have one of those but it only worked once, then I got a black eye.

Seriously though, I have looked into the wiring of the key fob into the light switch, I am just not super at electronics and this was an easy $20 solution that wouldn't risk me messing something up. Maybe when this unit dies I will give it a try.

I would just put the remote on my key ring, but I just like the two little keys that fit in my pocket versus the fob as well...I hate lots of stuff in my pockets (except money Wink).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/28/12 at 07:34:43

Here in the UK we have quaint old traditions. One is to get off the bike to open and close the garage door. Old fashond I know but we like it and it keeps us fit Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/29/12 at 05:29:24

Older , Sears in my case, garage door remotes run on A23 12V batteries.  I pulled a garage door remote apart, soldered the door button "pressed all the time" and then hooked the remote power to the high beam switch.  The whole thing fits in the headlight bucket.  I'm not sure why I only took a  picture after I waterproofed it and put it in the headlight Sad http://joe-freeman-personal.blogspot.com/2011/05/suzuki-s40.html

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #8 - 09/29/12 at 07:00:27

i like that idea quite a bit joe.  my driveway is very steep and i don't have a flat spot to park the bike while i open the garage.  unless i park it way down in the street and hope it doesn't get hit.

might look into wiring it into the 'passing flasher' yellow button...

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #9 - 09/29/12 at 12:11:53

My S40 has a handle bar bag. My Vol has a tank bib. Both have openers

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/29/12 at 22:42:52

If I had this problem, I would look at mounting it under the headlight in a "Transparent to the signal" housing with the switch wires run up to a switch on the bars. The Passing Button is a possible answer, but, I rather like having it,so when Im in traffic I can pop that button a few times as I move into a situation in traffic where I smell a potential "Left in Front Of Me" moron,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/03/12 at 12:47:59

If someone has an old style Genie (non Intellicode), I'm pretty sure I still have a nice keychain-sized remote in a drawer in my garage.  Had to replace my opener and the old remote is not compatible.  It worked well for me for years though.  If you're interested, please email me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/03/12 at 16:17:11

It doesnt' disable the high beams flasher.  You just open other people's garage doors when you flash to pass Wink

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/12 at 22:42:52:
The Passing Button is a possible answer, but, I rather like having it,so when Im in traffic I can pop that button a few times as I move into a situation in traffic where I smell a potential "Left in Front Of Me" moron,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Garage Door Opener

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.