Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #900 - 06/26/12 at 10:50:35

well gyro it sounds like you have all but been cured of aging itself. I can see why you would be convinced with all that this change has helped you. I am going to give it a try. I know it will be difficult to give up many of the things I really enjoy eating, especially foods fired in cornmeal and flour batters. I live in the south and fried chicken is something i eat every week.

A few things that I buy every time I go to the store: Whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour (I bake a lot, not any more I guess) tortilla chips, peanut butter, and pasta noodles.

What should I be getting instead? In other words, where should I be getting my carbs? Do you have suggestions for quick and easy replacements for sandwich bread and tortillas, I eat a lot of both. Usually I eat toast with jam for breakfast or a banana, then a sandwich or burrito for lunch, and pasta for dinner. Am I screwed?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
myrnasilva
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #901 - 06/26/12 at 11:40:10

Hi Splash..Yes, WB is for, I believe, anyone who wants to feel and perform better. I exercise, eat in moderation and generally feel good. After my husband and I went down on the bike I swore we would never ride again. 5 years later and feeling the "itch to ride" I thought, who am I fooling. I'm older now. Parts aren't bending and working as well as they used to. Then Wheat belly came out. We read it, we follow it, we ride with reckless abandon. Your diet looks very much like how I used to eat. Yes, I believed in staying away from fats, keep the calories low and only eating whole grains was the right way. If I didn't feel SO much better eating this way I would continue down that path. After all, I was feeling fine; or so I thought. You're never to old to learn a new trick.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #902 - 06/26/12 at 18:26:45

splash07 wrote on 06/26/12 at 10:50:35:
well gyro it sounds like you have all but been cured of aging itself. I can see why you would be convinced with all that this change has helped you. I am going to give it a try. I know it will be difficult to give up many of the things I really enjoy eating, especially foods fired in cornmeal and flour batters. I live in the south and fried chicken is something i eat every week.

A few things that I buy every time I go to the store: Whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour (I bake a lot, not any more I guess) tortilla chips, peanut butter, and pasta noodles.

What should I be getting instead? In other words, where should I be getting my carbs? Do you have suggestions for quick and easy replacements for sandwich bread and tortillas, I eat a lot of both. Usually I eat toast with jam for breakfast or a banana, then a sandwich or burrito for lunch, and pasta for dinner. Am I screwed?   Roll Eyes

No,.. you're not screwed.  Glad to hear you will give it a shot.  Your timing is good.  More later.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #903 - 06/26/12 at 18:31:58

This just in.  The Wheat Belly FB page has another ecstatic participant.  I bring this up because of our recent discussions here about diabetics being "cured" or not.  It's from a lady, who, with her hubby, started no-wheat/no-grains/no-sugar/no high-carb back in March.

"Not only has he lost 44 pounds to date since starting Wheat Belly, his Dr. said Dave is his first patient in his professional medical career he ever officially undiagnosed, and declared him NO LONGER DIABETIC! Said it is rare for a doctor to get to do that. He had never heard of Wheat Belly and kept grilling Dave all about it. Doc said he will be exploring it further for other patients and told Dave to keep on doing what he's doing!!! All Rx meds removed from his chart to inactive. My husband is no longer diabetic!!!! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #904 - 06/27/12 at 13:51:19

Splash stated well gyro it sounds like you have all but been cured of aging itself. I can see why you would be convinced with all that this change has helped you. I am going to give it a try. I know it will be difficult to give up many of the things I really enjoy eating, especially foods fired in cornmeal and flour batters. I live in the south and fried chicken is something i eat every week.

What should I be getting instead? In other words, where should I be getting my carbs? Do you have suggestions for quick and easy replacements for sandwich bread and tortillas, I eat a lot of both. Usually I eat toast with jam for breakfast or a banana, then a sandwich or burrito for lunch, and pasta for dinner. Am I screwed?  

"I am going to give it a try."  Absolutely fantastic!  I envy you.  You have so much to look forward too,.. IF,.... you really do what is required,.. and it sounds like you will.  Often folks will "mostly" cut back on wheat and carbs.  That results in modest improvements, at best.  You really do have to get all the nasty stuff in the wheat OUT OUT OUT of your system.

"I know it will be difficult to give up many of the things I really enjoy eating, especially foods fired in cornmeal and flour batters. I live in the south and fried chicken is something i eat every week." I live in the south, too, and my Mom was an Oklahoma farm girl, so believe me, I can relate!!  Yes, there will be some difficulty in not having a lot of fried foods, especially when most of it is fried in some sort of wheat or corn-based batter.  It comes easy, though, after a while to use other kinds of breading with no wheat.  Also, even places like KFC now have grilled chicken which (at the KFC here in Newnan) is pretty good.

"Whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour (I bake a lot, not any more I guess) tortilla chips, peanut butter, and pasta noodles."  Yes, this will be a transition for you because these grain-based things are quite unhealthy.  The Wheat Belly enthusiasm has been growing like crazy, though, so there are lots and lots of wheat/grain free alternatives for these things.  You will be doing more baking than before because some of what you used to buy, you'll be making for yourself in healthy versions.  For example, maybe half the wheat-based recipes out there for muffins, cookies, pancakes, etc., can be adjusted to use almond flour and coconut flour, etc.  A few weeks ago I made my Daughter a birthday cake that looked and tasted a lot like a boston cream pie.

Check out the Wheat Belly Facebook page, the Wheat Belly Recipe Central page, and the recipe section of the wheatbellyblog.com on the left side low.

Another option is to use some of the tens of thousands of Paleo recipes out there.  The one danger with them, though, is to make sure you don't use the ones that are high-carb -- those folks think using sweeteners like Agave Nectar is okay.  that stuff is 90% fructose,... diabetes here we come!!!

Most folks shoot for something like 50 carb grams a day or less.  I suspect, though, with your amount of activity, you might need more.  I would get those additional carbs from fruits, and a few below-ground veggies.  And grain-free baked goods.  A cup of raisins has 110 carb grams!!!!!!  Avoid anything sugary or grainy at all costs.  

"Whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour (I bake a lot, not any more I guess) tortilla chips, peanut butter, and pasta noodles."  There are some recipes out there for wraps that can serve as tortilla-ish things.  Lots of bread recipes are out there.  I have a few myself.  You won't be using any whole wheat flour, but you can generally substitute almond flour and coconut flour.  Pasta is tough.  Right now about the only grain-free "pasta" is shirataki noodles.  Do a yahoo search for the Miracle Noodles company.  There are efforts underway for some grain-free pasta.  I would suspect it'll be available by the end of the year.

Keep us posted on how things are going.  You might want to participate in the Wheat Belly FB page as well.  There are so many folks getting into this, though, the place is pretty busy.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #905 - 06/27/12 at 15:00:18

Dude, be careful with coconut flour.  That stuff will consume moisture nearly as well as the best silica desiccants.  It's crazy trying to bake anything with it, though it makes a nice replacement for cornmeal for frying fish or jalapenos.
Note:  I haven't done loads of research into baking methods and workarounds employed with coconut flour.  I've just done a fair amount of experimenting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #906 - 06/27/12 at 17:55:19

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/27/12 at 15:00:18:
Dude, be careful with coconut flour.  That stuff will consume moisture nearly as well as the best silica desiccants.  It's crazy trying to bake anything with it, though it makes a nice replacement for cornmeal for frying fish or jalapenos.
Note:  I haven't done loads of research into baking methods and workarounds employed with coconut flour.  I've just done a fair amount of experimenting.

You speak the word of truth about coconut flour.  One guy spilled a can in Lake Lanier and all that was left the next day was a puddle a few feet wide.

If you are going to try to convert recipes from wheat flour to grain-free flour, a starting point (with no guarantees) is to use a 5:1 mix of almond flour to coconut flour.

The recipes out there that call for coconut flour have hopefully worked it out so the consistency (fluidity) is correct.  I have one for pancakes that uses only coconut flour.  My Granddots like it a lot.

Yes, it works well as a breading.  Mix up some coconut flour and spices, roll the object in a mix of HWC and eggs, then coat with the spicy coconut flour.  Yummy for fish and fried chicken.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #907 - 06/27/12 at 20:46:51

First of all, thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I am still finishing off the last of the groceries in the house and after they are all gone I am planning on going and stocking up on all the necessary supplies.

Second, "You speak the word of truth about coconut flour.  One guy spilled a can in Lake Lanier and all that was left the next day was a puddle a few feet wide."  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Third, HWC??

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #908 - 06/27/12 at 21:26:30

I will be very curious to see what changes you get out of the WB diet, splash.  I followed it fully for one month and had "moderate" results, then backed off to "mostly" compliant.. it's still good.  The 80/20 rule might apply here, but don't use it at first.   If you follow it completely for the first month and note the changes, you stand the maximum chance for improvements and serve as the best GuineaPig to bolster (or demolish) Gyrobob's claims.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #909 - 06/28/12 at 02:44:24

Coconut flour, like banana flour, is not flour, any more than ground chalk is.

It is the meat of a dried fruit ground very fine.

But them there is fish flour as well...

So you can see that the word "flour" is actually misused.

"Flour" is the word one should use to indicate ground grains, and nothing but, because that's how 99% of the world population use the word.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #910 - 06/28/12 at 05:32:09

mpescatori wrote on 06/28/12 at 02:44:24:
Coconut flour, like banana flour, is not flour, any more than ground chalk is.

It is the meat of a dried fruit ground very fine.

But them there is fish flour as well...

So you can see that the word "flour" is actually misused.

"Flour" is the word one should use to indicate ground grains, and nothing but, because that's how 99% of the world population use the word.

True.  The term flour is rather loosely used.  It does have a negative feel to it, since wheat flour is what normally comes to mind.

Some of the nut flours are actually marketed as "meal" rather than flour.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #911 - 06/28/12 at 05:34:36

HWC = heavy whipping cream.  Much lower carb count than milk,... around 6 grams per cup.

Most of the grainfree lowcarb types use something other than milk for milk.  I use a 16:1 mix of unsweetened unflavored almond milk to HWC.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #912 - 06/28/12 at 05:46:18

Boule’tard wrote on 06/27/12 at 21:26:30:
I will be very curious to see what changes you get out of the WB diet, splash.  I followed it fully for one month and had "moderate" results, then backed off to "mostly" compliant.. it's still good.  The 80/20 rule might apply here, but don't use it at first.   If you follow it completely for the first month and note the changes, you stand the maximum chance for improvements and serve as the best GuineaPig to bolster (or demolish) Gyrobob's claims.  Cheesy

80/20 won't help a lot.  100/0 will do you a lot of good.  If you eat any wheat at all, you will still be getting SOME of the nasty stuff like gliadin, amylopectinA, glutenin, lectins, etc.  It is not a linear ratio.  IOW, if you cut wheat consumption in half, you'll not get halfway better, it'll make almost no diff.

It's kind of like smoking.  If you smoke 4 packs a day, cutting back to 2 packs a day will do you little good, if you are trying to avoid cancer.

I don't like the term "claims."  I'm not claiming anything.  I didn't make this stuff up.  This isn't my idea.  I'm not selling anything.  These benefits I see for myself and for thousands of other folks on the FB page alone, show evidence, not claims.

Also, the various improvements resulting from wheat/grain/sugar/highcarb freeness, take widely varying amounts of time.  Some of the folks say things like IBS, chronic heartburn, joint pain, etc., go away within days.  The weight loss thing varies widely as well.  Kids with behavioral problems can change overnight.  Maladies related to neurological situations improve very slowly and can take years.  One guy with MS, for example, was so stricken he couldn't clean or feed himself.  After 14 or 15 months, I think, he can actually get out of his wheelchair a walk around,,,, slowly,... but still quite an improvement.

As for all the wheaty grainy crap you have now,... just give it away and start anew.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #913 - 06/28/12 at 06:39:20

Of course. I'm teasing you about the "claims." As you've pointed out many, many times on this thread, it makes no sense to deny someone the improvements they have in their own body. I believe you got a dramatic change out of WB and wish I had also. Perhaps one day I'll  stick with it fully for 6 months as myrnasilvia suggests, then if victory is STILL around the corner at that point, screw it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
myrnasilva
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #914 - 06/28/12 at 12:39:56

Boule'tard....even an old dog can learn new trick. You're implementing most WB ideas. Get the book maybe to understand just the "why?" or if not, to follow the how.....A woman passenger is always the best way to go to make the 6 month ride enjoyable.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:00:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.