Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #180 - 04/25/12 at 13:32:35

singlegoinsteady: AND THE LACING JOB ON THE REAR SPOKES

Yes,... that one will take a lot of effort or money to fix

Jun 2013 update: I sent the wheel back to RYCA to have the holes ground larger so the spokes aren't bent.  When I got them back, the spokes weren't bent anymore, but the holes in the rim were pretty crudely ground.  It took a whole evening to tidy up the sharp metal shards still attached to the holes, and to true the wheel.  All it cost was shipping from ATL to California.  $65.

« Last Edit: 08/10/13 at 11:48:58 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #181 - 04/26/12 at 05:32:09

Gyrobob wrote on 04/25/12 at 13:32:35:

I have read through the 13 pages a couple of times looking for comments on the rear wheel and not found anything.  What is the issue with the rear wheel lacing?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #182 - 04/26/12 at 06:20:52

Dave wrote on 04/26/12 at 05:32:09:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/25/12 at 13:32:35:

I have read through the 13 pages a couple of times looking for comments on the rear wheel and not found anything.  What is the issue with the rear wheel lacing?

I don't know if they still have the same vendor for rear wheels, but all the wheels provided to the first few hundred kits had the wrong wheel for the Savage hub.  The spokes were bent as installed.  They are still bent.  RYCA offered to take the wheels back and fix them.  All I had to do was pay for the shipping from ATL.  I wish I would have done that now.

Jun 2013 update: I sent the wheel back to RYCA to have the holes ground larger so the spokes aren't bent.  When I got them back, the spokes weren't bent anymore, but the holes in the rim were pretty crudely ground.  It took a whole evening to tidy up the sharp metal shards still attached to the holes, and to true the wheel.  All it cost was shipping from ATL to California.  $65.

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 05:29:07 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #183 - 04/26/12 at 08:24:03

The RYCA website has the following statement on the page for the 18" wheel rim:
[Note: If you're planning on lacing this rim to a stock Suzuki S40 / Savage rear wheel hub, the spoke holes must be drilled out slightly to accommodate the increased spoke angle of the Suzuki hub.]

I guess your options are to send it back.....or take the wheel apart and fix the holes yourself.  I don't believe I would ride the bike with the spokes that way.  Spokes are supposed to be in tension - and not in any bending moment.  I believe that the bent spokes will fatigue and crack over time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #184 - 04/26/12 at 08:32:09

I got my stuff from RYCA a week ago and my wheel has the crap lacing job.  If any spokes end up cracking, I'll send it back.  It is absolutely inconceivable to me that they sent me that wheel, knowing there is a problem with it.  I don't know if they follow this forum much, but, I would think that they would not like the bad press that brings.  Send me something, then offer to have me send it back,and wait for another 4 weeks, to fix what they knowingly sent me in the first place?  Otherwise, I think the kit is ace.

WWW   IP Logged
Datamichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #185 - 04/26/12 at 15:12:55

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 04/26/12 at 08:32:09:
I got my stuff from RYCA a week ago and my wheel has the crap lacing job.  If any spokes end up cracking, I'll send it back.  It is absolutely inconceivable to me that they sent me that wheel, knowing there is a problem with it.  I don't know if they follow this forum much, but, I would think that they would not like the bad press that brings.  Send me something, then offer to have me send it back,and wait for another 4 weeks, to fix what they knowingly sent me in the first place?  Otherwise, I think the kit is ace.

Interesting. I emailed Ryca today. They responded with a terse reply stating it's no longer a problem:

"Hi,

I am considering buying the kit. However, I've been reading about a safety problem concerning the rear wheel. You'll want to check out the thread located here: "thread location omitted"

As someone who has built many wheels for bikes and motorcycles, the wheel pictured in that thread (and shown below hopefully) is a definite safety issue and will eventually fail.

Is this the way you're currently building these wheels?

Thanks

Ryca reply: Nope its been fixed"

Doesn't exactly give one a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Michael

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #186 - 04/26/12 at 18:57:17

Regarding the rear wheels:

In the beginning, there were wheels sent out with unacceptable spoke angles, and we offered to fix or replace those wheels for every customer who wasn't happy with the lacing job. The offer still stands...we want everyone to be satisfied with their kit.

We don't send out wheels that we don't think are laced within acceptable limits of the hub/wheel combination we have to work with. We tested a few different rims, spokes, and vendors for the rear hub lacing. The wheel on my CS-1 prototype was laced by the best spoke and rim company in the business (over 50 years experience), using a smaller gauge spoke and an expensive Akront 18" rim. It was signed off and returned, with all specs checked off, including "nipple to spoke alignment".  I installed the wheel and have used it since I built the first CS-1. It's within what I consider acceptable limits for my bike, even though some of the spokes are not absolutely perfect (see below).

For existing customers, if you feel that your wheel isn't within acceptable limits, please contact us and we'll work out a solution. For future customers, please note that the rear wheel is optional. You can also purchase the spoke and nipple set and lace your own rim.

Thanks,
Casey
Ryca Motors

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #187 - 04/26/12 at 19:02:24

caseyLA wrote on 04/26/12 at 18:57:17:
Regarding the rear wheels:

In the beginning, there were wheels sent out with unacceptable spoke angles, and we offered to fix or replace those wheels for every customer who wasn't happy with the lacing job. The offer still stands...we want everyone to be satisfied with their kit.

We don't send out wheels that we don't think are laced within acceptable limits of the hub/wheel combination we have to work with. We tested a few different rims, spokes, and vendors for the rear hub lacing. The wheel on my CS-1 prototype was laced by the best spoke and rim company in the business (over 50 years experience), using a smaller gauge spoke and an expensive Akront 18" rim. It was signed off and returned, with all specs checked off, including "nipple to spoke alignment".  I installed the wheel and have used it since I built the first CS-1. It's within what I consider acceptable limits for my bike, even though some of the spokes are not absolutely perfect (see below).

http://rycamotors.com/newsite_images/spokes.jpg
http://rycamotors.com/newsite_images/spokes2.jpg

For existing customers, if you feel that your wheel isn't within acceptable limits, please contact us and we'll work out a solution. For future customers, please note that the rear wheel is optional. You can also purchase the spoke and nipple set and lace your own rim.

Thanks,
Casey
Ryca Motors

thanks for clarifying Casey. Who laced that rim- Buchanon? Mine looks just like it with a slight bend. Up till now I really haven't been concerned. Will think about whether I want to bother sending it back for correcting or not. Appreciate your willingness to correct this matter for your customers. Seems like you guys take some flack on this forum from time to time and its nice to hear your comments and response directly instead of the hearsay

and for the love of pete, gyrobob, can you please finish these bikes sometime in my lifetime? Anxious to see them done.

IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #188 - 04/26/12 at 20:04:34

Casey, here is my problem with this issue and your response:

You wrote - "In the beginning, there were wheels sent out with unacceptable spoke angles..."
Then you wrote - "We don't send out wheels that we don't think are laced within acceptable limits of the hub/wheel combination we have to work with."  So...some bad ones were sent out, but you didn't send out any bad ones?

I purchased an early kit...where do I fall in the unacceptable spoke angles that were sent out and the We don't send out wheels that we don't think are laced within acceptable limits?

Both you and Ryan are aware of the FUBAR gas tank that I sent you.  My level of expertise is pretty low on the totem pole...but I need to know if my rear wheel is one of the unacceptable versions or one of the acceptable versions.  I'm guessing that I may not be the only one with this question.

Thanks,
Terry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #189 - 04/26/12 at 20:09:56

Gyr... if you want the crappity smackers lining up to give casey what for moved to a different thread, just say so.

WWW   IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #190 - 04/27/12 at 06:33:02

[quote author=5941434C4F5A2E0 link=1304722902/165#176 date=1335358760]Go to unifilter.com, click on "clamp on pod filters," go down to the bottom of the list to "clamp on pod kits." They are listed by thier internal diameter (carb's outer diameter). I don't remember which one it is. They are 3" long but can be cut down if need be, and you get two for $40.
Good luck

Thanks, Sir Wombat! Grin Grin Grin

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #191 - 04/27/12 at 06:41:14

Gyrobob wrote on 04/25/12 at 09:34:35:
Dave wrote on 04/25/12 at 06:32:12:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/24/12 at 19:29:31:
These kinds of things make it pretty absurd for anyone to say you can take an old S40, $3,000, and 40 hours and have a CS-1.

I have read most of the post and looked at most your pictures......and I see a lot of commonality between you and I.  The modifications and level of detail in your build is above and beyond what is required to make the bike "functional".  In doing projects we see a way to improve the "basic" approach......and strive to build the bike in a way we want "our" bikes to be built.  I have no doubt that you can buy a cheap S40 and buy the RYCA kit and spend 40 hours rushing to get it together.....however that functional bike would not be the project bike we want to build.

I thank you for posting the things you have done.......and it will help me know what to expect when I get my RYCA kit going next winter.  I do believe the RYCA kits will be evolving as more are built.

I think it might be possible for Casey (with his experience of building 30 of these bikes and with a complete facility loaded up with the best tools for doing the mods) to slap together a CS-1 in 40 hours.  Possible.

I intend to ride this thing a bit.  I may forego a cosmetic tweak here and there, but I have huge concerns about taking off on a trip and having something fall off or short out or get quiet, etc.  Being stranded is not an exciting adventure for me.  Been there, done that, way too many times.  Getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere is what convinced me to never ever buy a BMW again.

So,... I'll spend the extra time necessary to make sure of things like wiring not crammed into an area where the big single's vibrations won't wear through it,... or using some sort of "loosening prevention" on all the fasteners, etc.

The things that annoy me are just assuming away niggling items like:
-- no provision for crankcase fumes (a bother, true, but will get you ticketed in Atlanta)
-- the horn is not used in the kit.  Another safety and ticket item.  All you have to do is move the horn forward enough to clear the tank, and find another source of 12v for the instruments.
-- the side panels need to be carved to make them fit
-- no front turn signals,.. samo samo -- a safety and ticketing item
-- etc.

Overall the kit is cool, and I am really going to enjoy this.  I would even have felt better if their pitch would have said something like:

"This kit provides all the basic parts needed for the conversion.  Builders will need tools and expertise to do final fitting, shaping, wiring, bodywork, and compliance with local regulations.  Few addtional parts are required."

I agree--however, had I been completely aware of what I was getting into, I might not have taken the leap to begin with! Grin

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #192 - 04/27/12 at 12:00:43

T2 wrote on 04/26/12 at 20:04:34:
Casey, here is my problem with this issue and your response:

You wrote - "In the beginning, there were wheels sent out with unacceptable spoke angles..."
Then you wrote - "We don't send out wheels that we don't think are laced within acceptable limits of the hub/wheel combination we have to work with."  So...some bad ones were sent out, but you didn't send out any bad ones?

I purchased an early kit...where do I fall in the unacceptable spoke angles that were sent out and the We don't send out wheels that we don't think are laced within acceptable limits?

Both you and Ryan are aware of the FUBAR gas tank that I sent you.  My level of expertise is pretty low on the totem pole...but I need to know if my rear wheel is one of the unacceptable versions or one of the acceptable versions.  I'm guessing that I may not be the only one with this question.

Thanks,
Terry

Terry,

SOME of the early rims were not drilled out enough, combined with larger nipples, which resulted in the spoke angles in the photos referenced in this thread. Please contact us and we'll take a look (send us some photos if you can).

Thanks

IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #193 - 04/27/12 at 15:21:18

Quote:
Terry,

SOME of the early rims were not drilled out enough, combined with larger nipples, which resulted in the spoke angles in the photos referenced in this thread. Please contact us and we'll take a look (send us some photos if you can).

Thanks

Casey,

Will do and thanks for the quick reply.

Terry+

« Last Edit: 04/27/12 at 21:51:32 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #194 - 04/27/12 at 20:50:28

verslagen1 wrote on 04/26/12 at 20:09:56:
Gyr... if you want the crappity smackers lining up to give casey what for moved to a different thread, just say so.

It does seem sensible to move this issue to a separate thread,.. since it does seem to be focusing on RYCA-supplied wheels, rather than the Double-RYCA build.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:12:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.