Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #210 - 07/25/12 at 06:54:16

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 07/24/12 at 08:02:48:
I couldn't get the coil to fit under my tank, had to mount it forward on the frame.  No clearance.   Angry

See the posts 199 and 205 above.  I had the same problem, so I rotated the coil 90 degrees and tucked it in closer to the frame.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #211 - 08/30/12 at 19:17:43

When I started to install the tanks, I noticed a lot of rust. There was some rust inside when the tanks came back from Ryca last year, but now there was a LOT.  

So, I made a block-off plate for the petcock hole.  I poured in half a bottle of that stinky pink rust remover, and a cup of water, then chucked in 20 small bolts.  

I agitated each tank for an hour or so, hoping the rust remover would dissolve the rust and the bolts rattling around would do some scraping of sorts.  Arms get rather tired doing this.

From the little bit I could see, it got rid of a lot of the rust.  I dumped out the rust remover, shook out the bolts, and flushed the tank with water three times.  

Then, after getting out as much water as possible, I dumped in a half bottle of alcohol (80 cents a bottle at Walmart), and shook it around to combine with all the remaining water, to make sure it rusted as little as possible for the next few days while the bikes are finished up.  

After an hour or so for the alchohol to dry up, I shot in a few tbsp of WD-40 to further protect the inside and sloshed that around some, to coat the inside.  I can't stand rust, so I wanted to do whatever I could do coat the surfaces with some oil that displaces water and tends to make it hard for rust to form.

Hopefully those tanks will have some gas in them within the next few days.

UPDATE: 3 Mar 2019.  Both our tanks have a lot of rust.  The fuel filters are clogged and Jud's carb was so trashed he installed a Mikuni VM38-9.  Make sure when you get the tank from RYCA you derust thoroughly.  Operate the bike with clean gas often, and use one of the alcohol-based water removers in the tank occasionally.  Consider coating the tank with a tank sealer inside.

« Last Edit: 03/03/19 at 15:37:46 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #212 - 08/30/12 at 22:40:14

WD-40 evaporates and it's about as good as water to use as protection from rust.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #213 - 08/31/12 at 05:16:58

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/30/12 at 22:40:14:
WD-40 evaporates and it's about as good as water to use as protection from rust.

It evaporates slowly.  I did this last week and both tanks are still wet, with a small puddle of the stuff at the low point.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #214 - 08/31/12 at 08:27:30

I would consider using a tank lining.  We didn't use to have a problem, but modern fuels do tend to allow for rust.....and I would prefer to take preventative action.  Even if it is not the fuel....just moist air and condensation can rust a tank....as you have found out.  The POR 15 fuel tank lining works very well, and the silver color is great because it looks normal and doesn't look obnoxious like the white coatings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #215 - 08/31/12 at 08:53:44

Dave wrote on 08/31/12 at 08:27:30:
I would consider using a tank lining.  We didn't use to have a problem, but modern fuels do tend to allow for rust.....and I would prefer to take preventative action.  Even if it is not the fuel....just moist air and condensation can rust a tank....as you have found out.  The POR 15 fuel tank lining works very well, and the silver color is great because it looks normal and doesn't look obnoxious like the white coatings.

Yes.  Modern fuels can have more moisture, which leads to rust.  That is one reason I pour in a bit of alcohol periodically.  If I have some on hand, I'll use Drygas, or Heet, or Valvoline's Water Remover.  Those items are mostly alcohol anyway.  They can be bought at typical auto stores like Autozone.

I've never used a coating like that.  If I build a fiberglass tank, I wonder if I could coat the inside of it to keep the ethanol in today's gas from attacking the fiberglass resin.

UPDATE 3 Mar 2019 ............. GOOD IDEA!!!

« Last Edit: 03/03/19 at 15:39:34 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #216 - 08/31/12 at 12:50:50

Bill, how about deleting those posts?  Two of them are not necessary, and neither of them have anything to do with a Double Ryca build.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #217 - 08/31/12 at 17:22:59

Well,... one of the Double RYCA Build bikes is running.  We decided to put them together and operate them for a bit before doing the final paint.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #218 - 08/31/12 at 18:26:43

WOO HOOOO!!
Well I for one am sure glad to see you guys have one running. I wish I was not too far behind you, but I too have a long way to go... hopefully help is on the way for me this weekend...

Good luck!! And ride it like ya stole it!

(Oh, and yes, I'm pretty sure the Por15 will work with a fiberglass tank. I've never had to use it myself, but it's definitely the one I see recommended the most.)

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #219 - 09/06/12 at 20:40:49

Check this out!!!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #220 - 09/07/12 at 03:51:59

Very cool, must have felt great to finally get out on it!   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #221 - 09/07/12 at 07:29:38

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Hopefully I'll be doing the same myself in a few weeks...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #222 - 09/08/12 at 06:25:58

I have about 30 mi on the thing now.  

This morning I had to dodge a cager turning in front of me and drove over a manhole cover about 3" below the level of the asphalt, bottoming out the rear suspension.  This caused the license plate to hit the rear tire and bend down the whole tail light assembly.  I thought there was enough clearance.  nupe.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #223 - 09/08/12 at 07:32:34

Glad you're on the road and I hope you enjoy it.

I can hear the blat of that Emgo muffler.  Those things are loud.

I had one on my non-Ryca Savage.  Stuffed it full of packing, which didn't take long to blow out.  It had a good sound, but it was just too loud.  After about an hour of riding, it became obnoxious to me as the rider, especially at highway speeds.

I went back to my Sportster muffler, with its strategically-placed 1/2 inch hole in the baffle plate.  Just a little louder than a stock Sporty muffler.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #224 - 09/08/12 at 10:50:39

I'm undoing the damaged parts from the license plate hitting the tire and it appears that black quicksetting glue that came with the kit sticks about as well as electrical tape.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 13:14:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.