Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #165 - 04/13/12 at 20:43:50

We decided to bypass the clutch switch.  It simplifies things and I know some DR650 guys who have had that switch come apart out in the boonies.  

This will require a safety step for starting the bike all the time now.  I'll first push the bike forward or back a few inches just before hitting the starter to verify it is not in gear.  Then look at the neutral light.  Then pull in the clutch, step on the decompressor, and hit the starter.

Here's the innards of the left switch assembly showing the wires soldered.

Solder joint heat shrunk

Hole in the switch housing with a piece of scrap aluminum cut to fit.

Scrap piece glued in place.

« Last Edit: 03/17/16 at 08:45:18 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #166 - 04/15/12 at 14:02:15

The EMGO muffler as purchased by RYCA and sent to us in the kits is a strange little piece.  It does have a perforated liner, and there is some fiberglass inside it, but about 20 minutes after you start it up that fiberglass will be history.  It is about 1/10 the mass needed to do any good at all.  If you like the sound of no fiberglass, you'll like the way the muffler sounds near the end of your first ride.

Here's what it looks like disassembled as delivered by EMGO.

A close pic showing the grossly inadequate packing.

Here's some low-cast stainless steel packing.  I've used this before in other motorcycle mufflers and it holds up as well as the expensive stuff labeled "muffler packing."  It'll probably have to be replaced every five thousand miles or so.  Not a big deal,.. $3 and a half-hour to replenish.

Here's what it looks like ready to reassemble.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #167 - 04/20/12 at 21:20:00

wombat wrote on 10/24/11 at 05:52:28:
Bob,
No need to go through all that. Like you, I started hacking away at the battery box to make the K&N fit until it looked like I'd weaken the box so much that I stopped and changed filters. I found a much smaller and good fitting filter from Uni, their Universal Clamp-On.

Gyrobob wrote on 10/22/11 at 17:57:32:
[size=14]Okay okay okay,...

Which clamp on pod fits the savage?  I suppose I could go out to the garage and measure it Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #168 - 04/21/12 at 12:26:25

Bikertrash, is there a question in there somewhere?

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #169 - 04/21/12 at 20:21:46

Yes--wombat referenced the Uni Clamp-on POD kit that fits the RYCA build--if you go to the website, there are 6 that are listed by ID, OD, and length--wanting to know which one fits the RYCA.  That is my question, Sir Gyro-captain.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #170 - 04/21/12 at 20:42:37

bikertrash wrote on 04/21/12 at 20:21:46:
Yes--wombat referenced the Uni Clamp-on POD kit that fits the RYCA build--if you go to the website, there are 6 that are listed by ID, OD, and length--wanting to know which one fits the RYCA.  That is my question, Sir Gyro-captain.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I am using the Filter that came with the kit.  I modded a few things, though.  I also was concerned about venting the crankcase fumes overboard, so I put together some autoparts to run the fumes to the air filter.  The air filter/breather pics and text start on post #121 in this thread.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #171 - 04/21/12 at 20:48:22

Yes.  Saw yer mod.  Read yer thread.  I am asking Sir Wombat what filter he used (not just brand and type, but size).

Mebbe I should PM Sir Wombat . . .

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #172 - 04/21/12 at 20:50:38

bikertrash wrote on 04/21/12 at 20:48:22:
Yes.  Saw yer mod.  Read yer thread.  I am asking Sir Wombat what filter he used (not just brand and type, but size).

Ah.  I thought you were axing me.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #173 - 04/21/12 at 21:05:23

Nice work, BTW, Sir Gyro.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #174 - 04/23/12 at 17:14:44

bikertrash wrote on 04/21/12 at 21:05:23:
Nice work, BTW, Sir Gyro.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #175 - 04/24/12 at 19:29:31

I had to spend about an hour today just carving out the side covers so they'd clear the shock mounts, the seat, and tuck in close enough to the frame to not look dorky.

On the CS-1 I saw at Daytona a few weeks ago, you could see where the seat rubbed on the side covers as the rider moved around, gouging the paint,.. so,... it appears I'm going to not try to glue on the side covers so they snuggle up to the seat.  I'm going to line it up so there is about 3/8" clearance.

These kinds of things make it pretty absurd for anyone to say you can take an old S40, $3,000, and 40 hours and have a CS-1.

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #176 - 04/25/12 at 05:59:20

Go to unifilter.com, click on "clamp on pod filters," go down to the bottom of the list to "clamp on pod kits." They are listed by thier internal diameter (carb's outer diameter). I don't remember which one it is. They are 3" long but can be cut down if need be, and you get two for $40.
Good luck

bikertrash wrote on 04/21/12 at 20:48:22:

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #177 - 04/25/12 at 06:32:12

Gyrobob wrote on 04/24/12 at 19:29:31:
These kinds of things make it pretty absurd for anyone to say you can take an old S40, $3,000, and 40 hours and have a CS-1.

I have read most of the post and looked at most your pictures......and I see a lot of commonality between you and I.  The modifications and level of detail in your build is above and beyond what is required to make the bike "functional".  In doing projects we see a way to improve the "basic" approach......and strive to build the bike in a way we want "our" bikes to be built.  I have no doubt that you can buy a cheap S40 and buy the RYCA kit and spend 40 hours rushing to get it together.....however that functional bike would not be the project bike we want to build.

I thank you for posting the things you have done.......and it will help me know what to expect when I get my RYCA kit going next winter.  I do believe the RYCA kits will be evolving as more are built.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #178 - 04/25/12 at 09:34:35

Dave wrote on 04/25/12 at 06:32:12:

I have read most of the post and looked at most your pictures......and I see a lot of commonality between you and I.  The modifications and level of detail in your build is above and beyond what is required to make the bike "functional".  In doing projects we see a way to improve the "basic" approach......and strive to build the bike in a way we want "our" bikes to be built.  I have no doubt that you can buy a cheap S40 and buy the RYCA kit and spend 40 hours rushing to get it together.....however that functional bike would not be the project bike we want to build.

I thank you for posting the things you have done.......and it will help me know what to expect when I get my RYCA kit going next winter.  I do believe the RYCA kits will be evolving as more are built.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think it might be possible for Casey (with his experience of building 30 of these bikes and with a complete facility loaded up with the best tools for doing the mods) to slap together a CS-1 in 40 hours.  Possible.

I intend to ride this thing a bit.  I may forego a cosmetic tweak here and there, but I have huge concerns about taking off on a trip and having something fall off or short out or get quiet, etc.  Being stranded is not an exciting adventure for me.  Been there, done that, way too many times.  Getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere is what convinced me to never ever buy a BMW again.

So,... I'll spend the extra time necessary to make sure of things like wiring not crammed into an area where the big single's vibrations won't wear through it,... or using some sort of "loosening prevention" on all the fasteners, etc.

The things that annoy me are just assuming away niggling items like:
-- no provision for crankcase fumes (a bother, true, but will get you ticketed in Atlanta)
-- the horn is not used in the kit.  Another safety and ticket item.  All you have to do is move the horn forward enough to clear the tank, and find another source of 12v for the instruments.
-- the side panels need to be carved to make them fit
-- no front turn signals,.. samo samo, a safety and ticketing item
-- etc.

Overall the kit is cool, and I am really going to enjoy this.  I would even have felt better if their pitch would have said something like:

"This kit provides all the basic parts needed for the conversion.  Builders will need tools and expertise to do final fitting, shaping, wiring, bodywork, and compliance with local regulations.  A few additional parts are required."

« Last Edit: 09/27/15 at 09:50:21 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #179 - 04/25/12 at 12:05:44

[quote author=7E404B565B565B390 link=1304722902/165#178 date=1335371675]Dave wrote on 04/25/12 at 06:32:12:

The things that annoy me are just assuming away niggling items like:
-- no provision for crankcase fumes (a bother, true, but will get you ticketed in Atlanta)
-- the horn is not used in the kit.  Another safety and ticket item.  All you have to do is move the horn forward enough to clear the tank, and find another source of 12v for the instruments.
-- the side panels need to be carved to make them fit
-- no front turn signals,.. samo samo -- a safety and ticketing item
-- etc.

AND THE LACING JOB ON THE REAR SPOKES!!!! Angry

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 07:09:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates