Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #195 - 04/27/12 at 20:58:55

I want to repeat again here that I am not all wadded up over the "issues" with the RYCA kits.  The kits are overall put together pretty well, and the videos and other support material are helpful,... AND.... I am going to get a big kick out of riding around on this thing.

Ryan and Casey did a reasonably well-executed effort for their first time out, blazing a trail through the many unknowns of manufacturing a kit like this.  I'm sure if they had it to do over again, they'd line up things a bit differently, and there would be less griping.  Maybe the scrambler effort will prove me right.

Anyway, I just didn't want the rest of you folks to think I am a pissed off RYCA-builder.  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #196 - 04/27/12 at 21:00:11

darn, eat your Wheaties and get er done!  JK, but I hope you get to enjoy them soon...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #197 - 04/27/12 at 22:05:36

Gyrobob wrote on 04/27/12 at 20:58:55:
I want to repeat again here that I am not all wadded up over the "issues" with the RYCA kits.  The kits are overall put together pretty well, and the videos and other support material are helpful,... AND.... I am going to get a big kick out of riding around on this thing.

Ryan and Casey did a reasonably well-executed effort for their first time out, blazing a trail through the many unknowns of manufacturing a kit like this.  I'm sure if they had it to do over again, they'd line up things a bit differently, and there would be less griping.  Maybe the scrambler effort will prove me right.

Anyway, I just didn't want the rest of you folks to think I am a pissed off RYCA-builder.  

Heck, Man, everybody knows you arent upset over the Ryca thing, you dont have Time to be upset over that, youre waaaay too upset over wheat to waste any emotion on anything else..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #198 - 05/01/12 at 19:58:18

Gyrobob wrote on 04/27/12 at 20:58:55:

I have run into a few issues on my build, but I have found Ryan to be very helpful--I have spoken to him by phone, and if I email him a question, he gets back to me the next day at the latest.  They even sent me a fastner free of charge that I had ruined and had trouble locating locally.

I have side panels, the tail light, and license plate to mount on mine and it will be complete.  Last Sunday, I snuck it out on its first test ride, even though it was not quite street legal.  I have to tell you, it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys!  I had a buddy stop by a week ago that could not believe that I built a custom bike for under 4k.  I very much look forward to riding this bike and telling folks that my son and I built it.  Count me as a ryca fan!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #199 - 05/09/12 at 20:42:02

Here's the latest obstacle overcome.  Anyone want to guess what this part does?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #200 - 05/09/12 at 21:05:32

That's actually a part and not something you just fabbed up?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #201 - 05/10/12 at 06:19:30

Cavi Mike wrote on 05/09/12 at 21:05:32:
That's actually a part and not something you just fabbed up?

Both.  I fabbed it up, and it is now a part.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #202 - 05/10/12 at 06:38:53

I'll make a guess -- Are you making a hand-operated decompression actuator?

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #203 - 05/10/12 at 08:05:39

BuckRYCA wrote on 05/10/12 at 06:38:53:

No,.. but that is a good guess because it does look sorta like that and I have considered doing that very thing.  I think it would be cool to get rid of all the vulnerable and funny looking decomp levers/linkages, and move the starter switch down near the decompression lever on the cylinder head. That way you could start and decompress with one hand.

« Last Edit: 05/10/12 at 20:07:14 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Datamichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #204 - 05/10/12 at 12:27:14

Gyrobob wrote on 05/10/12 at 08:05:39:
BuckRYCA wrote on 05/10/12 at 06:38:53:

No,.. but that is a good guess because it does look sorta like that and I have considered doing that very thing.  I think it would be cool to get rid of all the vulnerable and funny looking decomp levers/linkages, and move the starter switch down near the decompression lever on the cylinder head.  That way you could start and decompress with one hand.

I can't find the thread right now, but didn't someone on here figure out a way to use the Ryca modified tank with the stock auto-decompression system? I seem to remember they just used a hammer to make room for it under the tank.

Michael

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #205 - 05/10/12 at 13:51:54

Okay,... drum roll please,....................................  the part is,.........

lower coil mount

The way RYCA sets it up, the coil rubs on the tank.  I rotated the coil 90degrees and made new mounts for it so it is tucked in closer.  Now the tank and the coil have about 1/8" clearance.  The upper mount is just a piece of steel bent to an angle with two holes drilled in it.  You can buy something like this at Home Depot.  The new part for the bottom mount screws into the existing threaded tab.

Here you can see how the coil tucks in closer to the frame.

« Last Edit: 05/10/12 at 20:51:38 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #206 - 05/10/12 at 18:02:00

That is a nice little part you fabricated.  You are quite the perfectionist and I can't wait to see the finished product.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #207 - 05/10/12 at 20:04:35

Savage 1987 wrote on 05/10/12 at 18:02:00:
That is a nice little part you fabricated.  You are quite the perfectionist and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks, Savage1987,....

I have been accused of being a perfectionist a lot.  I don't mind it much.  I don't, however, see correcting a glaring error being a perfectionist.  I just couldn't stand the thought of the ignition coil rubbing on the tank.
-- This is a high-vibration motorcycle.  It is NOT right to have a couple of extremely important pieces rubbing together.
-- Eventually the coil could break, stranding the rider out in the boonies, or worse yet, having the motor suddenly die during a footpeg-sparking turn on the Dragon's Tail.
-- What if a hole rubbed into the tank?  How pleased would you be riding along, suddenly noticing the smell of gas,.. and then turning into a two-wheeled roman candle?

I'll admit, sometimes I take a lot of time fooling around with tweaking things that aren't all that critical, but some stuff just demands attention.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #208 - 07/24/12 at 08:02:48

I couldn't get the coil to fit under my tank, had to mount it forward on the frame.  No clearance.   Angry

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #209 - 07/25/12 at 06:46:59

Quote:
author=4779726F626F62000 link=1304722902/150#162 date=1334368928]Instead of using the horn wires for instrument power (I'm still using the stock horn setup), I'm pulling the power out of the otherwised unused plug for the old instrument panel.

This was a stupid idea.  This plug is NOT unused.  It is still used for the indicator lights on the ignition switch panel.  I ran those wires to a plug I fabricated that fits into the unused instrument light bulb socket.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 12:19:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.