Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Seeking advice on clutch replacment (Read 5045 times)
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Re: Seeking advice on clutch replacment
Reply #45 - 06/17/10 at 07:25:14

When I get my new springs I'll do a step by step and maybe you'll see the light. And no... that's not what you did. All you did was show that you can put different length rods in to show which way the release arm moves. Still no test on which way the release arm moves as the clutch wears. Therefore beating a dead horse time and time again.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #46 - 06/17/10 at 07:27:50

Again we're not talking about rod wear we're talking about CLUTCH WEAR

Two very very seperate issues

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #47 - 06/17/10 at 07:43:49

Oldfeller. Just because you lost something doesn't mean that you have to add something in this situation. Meaning that as you "loose" thickness in your clutch pack. It would be easy to come to the conclusion that you would add something else to make up for it. The way this is designed it's just the opposite. Look at the clutch diagram and the diagram I drew and maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 06/17/10 at 08:11:44

I think we can all agree that the clutch arm moves upwards as the clutch pack wears  (Note from the future -- you might jest be wrong here  Grin  hee hee  Grin  that's cable & rod wear ) .  Just look at your adjustments that you have been making for a while as your clutch wears, excess lever slop develops, thumb screw moves out & gets relocked, lock nut adjustment at the bottom moves the shaft up (nuts move down towards the end of the shaft) both of which adjustments have the lever arm moving upwards over time and clutch pack wear.

Admittedly, cable stretch and pushrod wear are items that muddy up this water, but they can't obscure everything now can they?

Everyone will eventually answer these questions themselves as they do it over time.   And as the different length push rods go in then that question will get answered as well.

The fog will lift eventually as the sun comes out and warms the air.  
It is the way of things.

« Last Edit: 07/06/10 at 04:30:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 06/17/10 at 08:13:28

A pickup w' a standard in it needs "toe play" on the clutch pedal, just as we need some free motion of the clutch lever. As the clutch wears over time, the Toe Play decreases, until the throwout bearing is in a bind & spinning until it gets cooked.
I didnt study the way this clutch works when I was in there, I just wanted done so I could ride.

Ive seen a lot made of these rods. What Im not getting is how the rod could be involved in a slipping clutch IF theres slack in the clutch lever. As long as the clutch is allowed to clamp onto itself fully, then its not gonna slip, unless its worn out or got the wrong oil or someone is cramming more HP in than it can harness, but a long or short rod cant make it slip. I can see how a rod needs replaced if its too short to disengage the clutch or if it forces the "paddle" outside of the lines, but I cant see it as a cause for slipping.
Some day Im gonna look & see where mine sits. It clutches so easy, its gotta be right on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 06/17/10 at 08:22:26

Justin, it doesn't.   Clutches that slip need to be taken apart and cleaned (or replaced if you are a big bucks person).   Shimming the springs or replacing them can also be part of a slipping clutch repair.

People are also thinking the clutch needs to be replaced when they run out of adjustment travel -- this is not so.   A new push rod can fix that.

My clutch doesn't slip, it has simply worn over time.  I am on my third rod now.

Rich's clutch is slipping when his oil is cold, maybe perhaps due to the weight of oil he uses, maybe because his springs are shot.   He is gonna replace his springs and post us a techie on doing that that makes everything clear (which I don't think we have a detailed clutch spring replacement post in Tech Section).    Heck, I can remember when you shimmed your clutch springs way back when, right?

Right now he isn't sure which way the lever arm moves as the clutch wear takes place, but that will all straighten out over time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #51 - 06/17/10 at 14:39:24

Yea, I figured Id shim them, since I was in there, adding power with the new cam. Theres a machined surface for each spring to sit in that is smaller than the washer diameter I wanted, so I had to make them smaller, because that surface is set down into the casting of the side cover. Also, the washers are not exactly "Close Tollerance" when they press them out, so the thicknesses vary a good bit. I took a calliper & sorted thru & got some as close to the same thickness that I could.

Thanks for the reply. I wasnt saying you said that, just seems Ive seen someone imply it.

I didnt shim to solve a problem, I did it hoping to avoid one. So far, no slipping. But, Ive never used a super slickum type oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #52 - 06/23/10 at 11:39:36

Ok. Here we go. I took pictures just to clear up how clutch wear effects the linkage and what to do in order to fix it. It's always been obvious to me but sometimes some need pictures to understand everything completely. Smiley

Here's a link to the diagram. I tried to copy it and post an actual picture but it wouldn't let me.  Maybe someone can post a picture of the actual diagram if they can. Thanks.  

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/4006-suzuki-1987-LS650F/assemblies...

First of all I'll explain how this clutch works. You have the clutch lever and cable which pulls the release lever up pushing the clutch rod, the clutch push piece (#20 on the diagram), Plate release and bearing(#14,21), pressure disk (#13) all inward while compressing the springs which disengages the clutch. As you let off the clutch.. the springs take over and the pressure disk and all of the parts mentioned above move out to engage the clutch.

Now here is where the controversy comes in. Some have said on here that as your clutch pack wears the lever moves up. Well this is totally wrong. As your clutch pack wears the pack gets shorter moving the pressure disk and all the components mentioned above outward. In turn moving the release lever downward.

As your clutch pack wears the pressure disk slowly gets closer to the case. Thus making a shorter distance between the release lever assembly and the pressure disk.  And the release lever moves down.

Now lets not get clutch wear and rod wear mixed up. The clutch rod is not designed to wear much. But it's possible that it can. If you see that the release arm is getting higher from where it was normally. There's a good chance that maybe you have something going on in there that is just wearing the rod itself. A shorter rod will, and this has never been disputed, move the release arm up. So if you find that the release arm is above the marks and it used to be within the marks it's more than likely you will only need a new clutch rod and possibly a new bearing and clutch push piece. Something is wrong making it wear the clutch rod itself.

There are three lengths of rods available for the clutch. Not sure which length comes stock with the bike. (Maybe oldfeller will add that)Lets just say for the sake of saying that you put in a performance clutch pack that may be a little thicker than a stock clutch pack. This increases the distance that the pressure disk is from the release lever assembly thus needing a longer clutch rod to make up the difference in thickness. Now as your new performance clutch pack or stock pack wears the distance gets shorter and shorter as the pack wears moving the pressure disk and all of the components mentioned above outward in turn moving the release lever downward. Pretty soon you might find that the release lever has moved down out of the range of the marks and you don't have the proper freeplay at your clutch lever anymore. This is when you need to get a shorter clutch rod and get that darn release lever back up within the marks so that you have the proper freeplay at the lever again.

Here's a picture I took of the release lever WITHOUT 1 FRICTION DISK in the stack to simulate the clutch pack being shorter or worn. Showing the release lever lower.

Here's a picture of the release lever with ALL THE CLUTCH PLATES IN PLACE.  A thicker stack showing the release lever higher.

All in all... as your clutch pack wears your release lever will move down requiring a shorter clutch rod eventually.

« Last Edit: 06/24/10 at 22:42:34 by LS-Rich »  

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #53 - 06/23/10 at 12:38:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/17/10 at 08:11:44:

I think we can all agree that the clutch arm moves upwards as the clutch pack wears.

The quote above is wrong. The clutch arm moves down as the clutch pack wears.

« Last Edit: 09/10/13 at 12:56:47 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #54 - 06/23/10 at 13:28:28

Here's the link mentioned above. But it's a REALLY large pic.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 06/28/10 at 10:48:59

.....  and the clutch war rages on endlessly through yet another generation of eager clutch combatants .....

..... forever unresolved, always mysterious .....

..... CLUTCH WAR !!!

=====================================

I did notice a nice wooden square piece added to your lever arm for clarity in marking things.   That was very good to do.

You used the same sort of rubber band tension to intentionally remove the "slop" from your measurement system as otherwise the weight of the wooden piece would move all the clearance slop into the direction that is "unnatural" to the clutch's normal actuation motion.

How about .....

"I dunno -- I could be wrong yet again as I have been wrong once before on this subject as once I thought as you did until I replaced my push rod 3 times with longer rods as my clutch wore as the miles racked up and each time the lever moved back down again?"

It doesn't hurt my feelings to be wrong, you know.

I've been married for 35 years to the same woman and I am a bloody EXPERT at being wrong ---- lots of experience there as my wife will certainly attest as she has never been wrong (but just once).

(and boy, did I ever learn not to do THAT ever again .....)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 06/28/10 at 11:32:10

So, we have conclusive evidence of the actuator lever position for "new" vs. "worn" disks... lever moves down with wear.

Anyone done the same for the 3 rod lengths?

WWW   IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #57 - 06/28/10 at 12:33:19

Oldfeller,
Seems to me by everything I've read about what you've done concerning your clutch that you are wearing the clutch push piece, cam release, and the pushrod itself (the thing you keep making longer to make up for the wear in the two previously mentioned pieces). You may find yourself, sometime soon or down the road sometime, in a bit of a pickle. Once those things are worn enough you won't have anything left to disengage the clutch. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

If you'd like me to explain my theory further let me know. I'd be more than happy to.  Smiley
Rich

« Last Edit: 06/28/10 at 22:21:02 by LS-Rich »  

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #58 - 06/28/10 at 23:36:13

I wonder how many clutch pushrods it takes to wear all the way through the clutch push piece, and cam release?  Obviously more than two. What number are you on Oldfeller? Three Right? Maybe thats the magic number.  Wink

What would life be like with no humor?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 06/29/10 at 18:12:05

I think I'll stick with the over time real experiences that I have posted for a while now until I see something different develop from a real world wear scenario.

Ripping a plate out of a clutch was a nice thing to do and the question it poses "does the cable stretch and the rod wear effect overpower the plate wear effect by so great an amount it seems to act backwards" is a valid technical question that was worth your experiment for your own edification (and to scratch a bit at my own curiosity as well).

If so, then removing the clutch plate was all simply a "a very interesting exercise" as the casual user really simply needs to know which length rod to put into their machine to put the lever back down into the correct adjustment zone on the cover when they have run out of cable adjustment.  

(it would maybe a bit harsh to say they don't really care if it is plate wear, cable stretch or pushrod wear that is the prime culprit or if one cause goes that way and the other two go the opposite way -- they just want their durn adjustment range back again)

And I think most folks are going to find the answer is "a longer push rod fixes the issue" and "as you go along replacing the push rods over time, they get longer and longer".

That is what real wear in real life experiences has shown me, anyway.

Your plate removal extrapolation that rods are going to get shorter and shorter simply doesn't jive with real world experience, and no -- as I have said from the beginning I really can't explain this "long is what works" phenomena completely as it was counter-intuitive to me from all the way back when I was a short rodder person too.

And yes, I am kinda expecting to remain both very interested and open minded until the whichness of the why becomes fully apparent.

And yes, Serenity just proved again just this past weekend that clutch cables DO stretch and break.  

And I have certainly stated that push rods can wear -- so yes, your alternate theory is potentially valid to me right now too.

It would try to explain both sets of data, as no single prior theory has really been able to do.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 10:44:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seeking advice on clutch replacment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.