Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Pullin trigger-94mm hicomp stage 3 PWK38-gaskets? (Read 336 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Pullin trigger-94mm hicomp stage 3 PWK38-gaske
Reply #15 - 10/12/22 at 09:29:44

Head cover, go slow, use what you feel.
We recently saw someone who messed one up. Having a Target in your mind and a torque wrench, you Want to get it to that torque. The bolts are crap and going into aluminum. If you do find a leak, it's Not the end of the world. Wrecking threads is a lot more of a hassle.
The right sealant, the correct application of it, that stuff matters. There are places that look like you are supposed to apply the goo,but study the mating surfaces. I don't remember exactly what areas are involved, I just remember there are a couple of places that are sitting there Looking like you are supposed to apply the sealant,but the head cover doesn't have a mating surface.
Thin and even is the thing. The head cover sitting down on the head determines the clearance on the cam. If you stack goo and the cover is five thousandths higher than it could be, you get some slop in the cam bearing area. The thicker the application, the sloppier it is.
The stuff to use doesn't actually cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hondabond-08717-1194-Semi-drying-Liquid/dp/B07...

Suzuki has one, I'm not finding it right now.

So, it's Not hard,but it's kinda stiff. You, being human, most likely won't get it applied evenly, as much as you try. By slowly applying the clamping force, running the torque pattern as many times as it takes to just let the head cover pull down flat,it will press the goo thin and even. Not the place to try to get it done quickly.
I don't remember if it took me five passes or not, but I'm sure three never happened.
Never messed up the threads. Never had a leak.

Here is where the goal of setting the head cover on can bite ya!

Don't set it up there without the bolt in it. The one you couldn't get out until the head cover was in your hands.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 10/12/22 at 11:22:23

As I recall, you ordered a Stage 3 cam from Lancer.  That's a Web cam.  It should have come with a tube of assembly lube.  Use that.  The cam should also be coated with a black dry lubricant.  Don't remove the dry lube.  Don't try and wash the black stuff off with solvent.

The engine can be removed with the pulley still on as long as you can get the belt off the pulley.  You can do the top end without removing the engine from the frame, but it will require removal of the cylinder studs.

Based on my perception of your level of experience, I suggest you use a torque wrench for your "head cover bolts" and your "cylinder head nuts".

There is some guidance on adjusting ring end gap in the posts I previously provide.  The top ring has a plasma coating.  You don't wanna drag the ring back & forth on the abrasive as it tends to chip off the plasma coating.  You want to push the ring in a direction that tends to protect the plasma coating (plasma coating on the leading edge).  You might wanna google "grinding ring end gap" or "adjusting piston ring end gap" and read up a bit.  Find some YouTube vids.  Study up.

Do you have a ring compressor?  Do you have a piston support?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 10/12/22 at 12:02:13

Based on my perception of your level of experience, I suggest you use a torque wrench for your "head cover bolts"

Based on DBMs experience
I concede..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #18 - 10/12/22 at 12:26:01

I've worked on engines on and off for the last 20 years. I even went to auto mechanic vocational school for two years many moons ago. I installed a big bore kit 19 years ago, and it blew up (redlining with no load). I tried to install a big bore kit a few months ago, got the wiper ring stuck sideways on the cylinder, destroyed my engine, and broke several head bolts using torque specs. I seem to have really bad luck with rebuilds. I'm a decent wrench, but head work is not my forte.

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 10/12/22 at 12:49:26

I knew a psychiatrist like that

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #20 - 10/12/22 at 13:49:56

There is a thousand ways to get it wrong, and only one way to get it right.  Engine building needs to be done with ample amounts of patience, and research.  When a task requires a special tool, be certain of the reason behind it.  But this is all vitriol since you have the right experience.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #21 - 10/12/22 at 16:13:49

Thanks for your encouragement fellas! I got the engine out this evening, and I'm hoping to get the cylinder off by tonight. TheSneeze, you're definitely right--9 times out of 10 I botch things because I am impatient and rush. I keep telling myself to slow down with this project.

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 10/13/22 at 04:40:42

Pick a work time when you’re not rushed, take a little wine with you if you partake, some soothing music perhaps, and breathe along the way.  You are in no hurry.
It’s a small simple engine, take your time, read the step by step instructions in the manual before putting your hands to it.  You will avoid mistakes and will have a slower pace.  There is a reason pilots ALWAYS use checklists...it helps avoid mistakes that could kill you.

Use the book-read-then do.

During part of an engine assembly a couple of weeks ago, while reading a portion I came across a bit of useful information I had not remembered ever seeing before.  We can always learn new things as long as we are still vertical.

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #23 - 10/13/22 at 09:24:00

Thanks LANCER for the vote of confidence!

I got it stripped down to the crankcase yesterday. Hardest part was loosening that darn timing inspection cover  Angry . I bent Nickel into a pretzel, broke a flat file, ground down several giant washers and bent them all. Finally I made a flat, square piece from steel with my grinder and it did the trick. Cover is all scratched though.

The cylinder is being honed and cleaned at the shop today. Saturday my parts arrive. I'll spend the next couple days cleaning up the engine and frame while I have the chance. I'm gonna port the exhaust too; there's like a giant mountain of metal in the way of the flow. What were they thinking? Lol

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #24 - 10/13/22 at 10:03:00

Yazman wrote on 10/13/22 at 09:24:00:
I'm gonna port the exhaust too; there's like a giant mountain of metal in the way of the flow. What were they thinking? Lol

Just don't try grinding away on that flat wall near the exit. Your valve springs are behind that and that wall is thin.
This thread may be of help.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1554362214/0

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #25 - 10/13/22 at 10:28:05

Everything needs to match.  Since you are going with a bigger carb, and plan to port the exhaust, you should also port the intake.  DBM has posted some great information in very good detail on what he did.  I followed a lot of what he did, and took the measurements and pictures to the shop I used for my head work.  If you do one end, better plan on doing the other.

« Last Edit: 10/14/22 at 08:18:44 by TheSneeze »  

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #26 - 10/13/22 at 11:27:06

A lot depends on his skill level and available tools though. It is easier to really screw up the flow of the intake port than the exhaust port if he is inexperienced. The exhaust side is something that practically anyone can do with minimal tools and get good results. That epoxy fill on the intake isn't something that I would recommend trying until after he has some experience at porting.

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #27 - 10/13/22 at 11:44:19

Yeah, after re-reading DBMs porting stuff, I might just clean up the castings and maybe polish the exhaust side. I think I'd probably screw up more extensive work, and it seems that I'd need a bigger header to get any benefit.

Can I use SAE30 that's used for 4-cycle snowblowers, mowers, etc as break in oil?

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #28 - 10/14/22 at 05:20:19

Quick question: I very gently and carefully used a razor blade to scrape away old head gasket, but I can see what look like scratches now. Is it ok? Or do I have to machine it? How aggressive can you be on the mating surface?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 10/14/22 at 06:30:47

I'm anxious to see the answers. It's a question I have not had, but I haven't had to be in the motor that far. I have an idea about what I would do, but I want to see what the real mechanics say.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:06:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pullin trigger-94mm hicomp stage 3 PWK38-gaskets?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.