Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wider handle bars (Read 46 times)
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

wider handle bars
11/05/22 at 19:01:37

My '09 Savage has 27" wide handlebars.  Wonder how much wider I could go without changing any cables or wiring.  I'd like to go 31" if it's an uncomplicated swap.  Thank you!

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: wider handle bars
Reply #1 - 11/05/22 at 21:03:36

Seems that I went through this subject in the past.  I've got a 33" handle bar that I could trim down to 31", but if the cables and wires won't stretch that far I'll just leave things as they are now. Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/06/22 at 12:26:49

What bars did it come out with?
If you're just a little bit short, rerouting them can get you some slack.
When I did the fork seals I rerouted mine and found a few inches. Didn't need them for longer bars. It made hanging a fanny pack between the bars and windshield a lot easier and let me pack more in it.
It's nice being able to unload pockets and carry a grease pencil,toothpicks, change for a toll, gun for a troll, smokes,waddevah..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/06/22 at 15:38:35

I believe they are the stock flat bars with a slight pull-back.  The ones I'd like to replace them with have a 2.5" rise and about the same pull-back.  Now that the riding season is about over, I get this hankering to tinker with chit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/06/22 at 17:14:14

I'd start with a good light and eyeball the routing of the cables. It's Not even unlegal to take some weedeater line and run a piece on the existing cable routes, if you need to  leave it longer, so you can zip tie one end, mark it, then pull it out and try to find a route that works better. You might need to pull the tank. Don't lose the speedometer O-Ring.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/06/22 at 21:15:16

That frazzin' speedometer cable!  I dislike raising the fuel tank because of the speedo-cable routing.  I know its not rocket science.   I been givin' the 'noise' the ear, and I believe its coming from the valve train, like the timing chain.  But the sucker has only got 3400 miles, and a fresh oil change.  (Guess I'll leave the bars alone for now)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/07/22 at 06:54:44

If the valves aren't making noise the engine is going to get hurt. It's just the design. It's noisy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:00:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wider handle bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.