Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
how do we remove the flywheel ? (Read 351 times)
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

how do we remove the flywheel ?
12/26/18 at 16:44:47

how do we get this thing off? what tool do I need or is is there another way? thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: how do we remove the flywheel ?
Reply #1 - 12/26/18 at 16:56:34

rotor requires a special tool.
check with dave.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 12/26/18 at 16:57:36

There are 3 special tools required to do the job.  Don’t have the exact name and sizes off hand but someone will have the info at hand.  I suggest you contact Dave, he is usually quick with answers like this.

IP Logged
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/26/18 at 17:17:17

D A V E, help, please.  how do we get this thing off? I blew the counter balancer out the front of the cases. and bent the balancer too. and broke the gear with the springs also. got another motor I hope to use the parts I need. thanks

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #4 - 12/26/18 at 17:42:28

Is the other motor intact? Maybe save some time and effort and just install it?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/26/18 at 17:51:03

someone ran it out of oil and wiped the cam and rockers. and took a toll on head too. thanks tho

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 12/26/18 at 18:10:12

There are a few tools. Dave put them together as a rental package.
You might want to consider a light flywheel while you are there Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #7 - 12/26/18 at 19:05:36

The Russian's claim to do it without the special tool. Anyone tried this method? Admittedly, the translation leaves something to be desired.

rinat says:
05/18/2014 at 18:26

Good afternoon, I ask for your advice! I disassemble the engine Suzuki Savage LS650, I can not help but remove the generator rotor. Please tell me how to remove it? thank you in advance.

Aibolit says:
   05/18/2014 23:03

In fact, the most correct would be to use a special puller. But it is possible to dismantle the rotor in another way. We unscrew 6 M8 hex bolts securing the rotor to the outer cage, shining a flashlight at the holes, and install the overrunning clutch gear so that the holes of the unscrewed bolts are opposite to its windows (you can simply use a probe to determine this: we scroll the overtaking as soon as the probe fail, then the window opposite the hole). In 3 holes out of 6 vacated (step 120 degrees), we tighten the M8 bolts with a length of 80 mm until they rest on the flywheel body, uniformly give a little tension (no more than 20 N * m), heat the rotor with a heat gun to 100 degrees. Check the tightness of the bolts, we reach it if necessary. Sharply strike the central part of the rotor with a hammer through an aluminum mandrel.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #8 - 12/26/18 at 19:15:02

Quote:
heat the rotor with a heat gun to 100 degrees

Presumably that's Centigrade. Or approximately 212 degrees F.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 12/26/18 at 20:29:17

striking the rotor sharply or dropping it,  can demagnetize and ruin it . It's best to buy or rent a puller.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 12/27/18 at 02:57:58

When all else fails, do it right.
Puller. Not a big expense.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/27/18 at 03:58:01

The proper tools make it easy - the problem is they are a bit too expensive to buy when doing just one engine......and they are very heavy and somewhat costly to ship (unfortunately they don't fit in a small flat rate box.  In addition to the puller for the rotor - you also need a deep socket for the flywheel nut....and a holder for the flywheel.

It sounds like you may have to remove the rotor from both engines....so you will need to do it twice.

Here is a link to the light flywheel/tool rental thread.  If you don't want a lightened flywheel - then just look at the tool rental portion.  The cost of renting the tools is just $20 and shipping is another $20 - but I require a $100 deposit.  You will send me $120 and I will ship the tools to you, then when you return them I will refund you $80 (The $40 deduction is $20 for the rental - $20 for the cost of shipping them to you).  The sad thing about all this is that it will end up costing you $60 - USPS makes $40 on this deal and I get $20 to cover the rental no the tools.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1504271719/0#0

When separating the crank halves the left crank bearing is a snug fit on the crank......and it helps to use an assist - I have a flat plate that pushes on the crank and I can include that with the tool rental.

When you are doing this work - get the proper Suzukibond to use when assembling the crank halves and cylinder head cap.  It works far better than any store bought RTV.  The Suzukibond is black, if you have silver cases and want a grey colored sealer - get Hondabond or ThreeBond.

Where are you located....sure would be handy if you were local and didn't need to ship this stuff.  It sounds like you have a big project ahead of you......making a good engine out of two damaged ones can be a big project.

If it is within your budget - this is the perfect time to upgrade the piston to a Wiseco, install one of Lancer's nitrided cam chains, and perhaps install a performance cam.....and do a bit of head work to clean up the ports!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/27/18 at 06:50:49

hi all. anyone have a pic of this tool?  how much are they? can we make one?  what is the part # I love this bike . I may as well just buy one. I have two now. on is a ryca. the most uncomfortable bike I have ever sat on. is there a more comfortable seat? thanks

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #13 - 12/27/18 at 06:56:01

A good sized air or electric impact wrench will make removing the rotor and flywheel a lot easier too. Don't bother with the battery operated ones, they don't have the muscle to break the bolt and nut loose.The rotor bolt was installed with red loctite. Heat the bolt with a propane torch and it should come out easily with the impact.The woodruff key is in there tight too, be prepared for a fight getting those out. The woodruff key has to come out to get the flywheel off. And if you don't rent Dave's tools, you will need beg/borrow/buy a really deep (about 2 1/2 inches deep) 46mm socket for the flywheel nut.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/27/18 at 07:17:03

suzi-q wrote on 12/27/18 at 06:50:49:
hi all. anyone have a pic of this tool?  how much are they? can we make one?  what is the part # I love this bike . I may as well just buy one. I have two now. on is a ryca. the most uncomfortable bike I have ever sat on. is there a more comfortable seat? thanks

Look at the link I provided....it has a photo of the tools you will need.  A rotor puller, a 46mm deep socket to remove/install the flywheel nut, and a flywheel holder to keep the flywheel from turning while you loosen and torque the flywheel nut (I made mine from a socket and some angle iron).

The stock RYCA seat has very minimal padding on the edges, and digs into your legs when you put your feet down....and not much padding in the center either.  I rode for a couple years with the stock padding - but when we went on "all day" rides it was tiring.

I had a local upholstery shop add padding and make a new cover....it is a lot more comfortable now.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:35:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how do we remove the flywheel ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.