Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly (Read 248 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly
Reply #45 - 08/30/20 at 02:15:53

I want to discuss something that I did before I assembled the engine.  Anytime you mess around with high lift cams and high compression pistons, you really should check valve-to-piston clearance.  To check the valve-to-piston clearance, you have to temporarily assemble the engine with light valve springs (checking springs).  You place modeling clay on top of the piston and see how much the valves squash the clay when you turn the engine through several rotations.  I failed to discuss that in Part 2 of these reports.

With the Wiseco piston it’s pretty hard to ram a valve into a piston unless you have the cam waaaaay out-of-time.  There’s plenty of room between the valves and piston.

You can see from this picture that there’s a lot of room between the exhaust valves and the piston.

Clay_LH_Exh_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - 08/30/20 at 02:16:33

On the intakes, there’s a lot of room vertically, and it’s not close on the radius of the valve.  I have to pay attention to the radial clearance because I installed larger diameter valves.  The edge of the valve has to run well away from the relief in the piston.  It’s OK, but if I ever get around to those 35mm valves and the 340b cam, I will be looking at this clearance again.

Clay_RH_Int_Radial_2_markup3.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 08/30/20 at 02:18:07

That’s as far as it’s goin before I install it in the frame.  The cylinder head is on.  I am at a point in my life where these old bones can’t handle the complete engine.  Just too darned heavy.  So, to save what’s left of my body, I remove and install the engine with the following items left off:

Clutch, Clutch Cover, Starter, Alternator Rotor, Starter Drive Gear, Starter Override, Drive Pulley, Alternator Cover & Stator.

This is what the engine looks like.  It’s funky but I’m not entering a beauty contest.  It’s all about propulsion.

97mm_Right_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 08/30/20 at 02:18:42

The left side looked like this.  Another nice aspect of leaving all the extra parts off is it leaves a whole lot of options for grabbin hold of the beast.  This thing is way easier to manhandle like this.

97mm_Left_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - 08/30/20 at 02:19:35

To prepare for the swap, I remove all the same stuff from the engine currently in the bike.  I also remove the flywheel and starter (not shown in picture).

Engine_Removal_Prep_Old_Man_Technique.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 08/30/20 at 02:20:24

I wanted to discuss alternator rotor removal.  My cheap aftermarket rotor puller has a jack bolt with right-hand threads.  When you start tightening down on the jack bolt, it digs into the rotor bolt and tends to turn the rotor bolt too.  You’re trying to build-up force to pop the rotor off the taper, but the bolt you are bearing against keeps running away.  I made a sleeve to install between the end of the crankshaft and the rotor bolt.  That way, the rotor bolt hits the sleeve and can’t run away.  I thought that was pretty smart.

Rotor_Puller_5.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 08/30/20 at 02:21:14

See how the sleeve fits.  The rotor bolt can’t turn.  All the force will go into popping the rotor off.

Rotor_Puller_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 08/30/20 at 02:22:03

I found that a whole lot of the force went in to digging into the head of the bolt.  The rotor came off, but it still required a lot of turning force on the jack bolt.  This thing could use some sort of bearing.

Rotor_Puller_6_Bolt_Problem.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #53 - 08/30/20 at 02:22:52

I machined the lip off the rotor bolt.  I’m hopin that makes things easier the next time around.  I’ll apply a generous dab of anti-seize to the end of the jack bolt before I start jacking.

Rotor_Bolt_Finished_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 08/30/20 at 02:23:29

When you use one of these rotor pullers, I suggest you thread it on to the rotor all the way, then back it off ¼ turn.  Hold it with a big crescent wrench when you tighten the jack bolt.  If you don’t back it off and hold it with the crescent wrench, it gets stuck on the rotor and can be a real pain in the keester.

Rotor_Puller_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 08/30/20 at 02:25:44

I already covered flywheel removal in Part 4.  I like doing that with the engine in the frame.  It’s a lot easier since you don’t have to hang onto the engine.  Once the engine is all stripped down, its out with the old, in with the new.  The old 94mm is on the deck, the 97mm Big Bore is in the bike.

Out_with_Old_in_with_New.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #56 - 08/30/20 at 02:26:49

The engine install is straight forward.  I’m only gonna touch on the stuff unique to this project.

I’ve already touched on this in Part 3.  The 3-inch flywheel has no threaded holes to hold on to.  I made a special clamp tool.  Here you can see how the clamp tool nests between the two footpeg mounts on the frame.  It easily holds the 115 ft-lbs torque applied to the flywheel nut.  This is one of the reasons I like loading the engine into the frame without all the stuff in the cases.  These nuts are much easier to tighten when the engine is in the frame.  You can focus all your energy on operating the tools rather than worrying about the engine rolling around on a work bench.

Flywheel_Holder_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 08/30/20 at 02:27:36

I’ve been running an oil temperature gage and a cylinder head temperature (CHT) gage.  I have roughly 500 miles worth of data from these instruments to use as a measure for the Big Bore’s performance.

The oil temp gage has a pickup that I have installed in the discharge passage for the oil pump.  It measures oil temp directly out of the pump.  The pickup goes here (it's the red thing).

Oil_Temp_Sender_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #58 - 08/30/20 at 02:28:19

The CHT sender is installed on the 8mm cylinder head stud just below the exhaust port.  I suspect that many would not consider this location a true measure of CHT.  It is a good place to keep an eye on.  I think it most certainly is one of the hottest areas on the engine since the stud ties directly into the exhaust port.  I can guarantee this much, it gets hotter than the pig in the imu.

CHT_Sender_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #59 - 08/30/20 at 02:29:26

So that’s about it.  The rest of the stuff is routine R&R.  The chain tensioner extension was 9.5mm.  I left the ignition timing retarded 2° like it was on the tight quench engine and the 94mm Wiseco engine.  The valves were adjusted to .004” all around.  I left the 38VM jetting as-is except for the main jet.  To be safe, I increased the main from a 210 to a 220.  Crankcase was filled with 20W-50 Castrol V-Twin dino oil (API SG).  Ready for break-in.

It’s the moment of truth.  Will this Frankenstein engine run good or die instantly?  It has a hobby lathe bore job, Honda valves, Subaru valve springs, factory recall spring retainers, a dirt bike cam & piston, a miniaturized flywheel, an intake port stuffed with epoxy, an exhaust port from hell, a header the size of a smoke stack, and a muffler that looks like a plumber’s apprentice practical exam.  This will be fun.

I hope you found this report informative.  As always, I welcome your questions and comments.  Knowledge is power.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:12:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.