Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly (Read 248 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly
Reply #15 - 08/30/20 at 01:35:47

Then install the upper scraper using the same technique.  Once again, position the butt of the scraper rings at least 30° away from the butt of the expander.  You also want the butt of the upper scraper ring about 180°away from the butt of the lower scraper.

Oil_Ring_Step_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 08/30/20 at 01:36:54

When you are all done with the oil ring assembly it should look like this.  It should be free to move around in the groove with no tendency to stick or bind.

Oil_Ring_Complete2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 08/30/20 at 01:37:58

When you install the 2nd ring and the top ring, it’s always best to use a ring expander to prevent distorting the rings.  The expander tool has a stop that can be set so that you don’t expand the ring too far.

Ring_Expander2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 08/30/20 at 01:39:43

Install the second ring, and then the top ring.  The marking “N” must face up.  Make sure the rings move freely with no tendency to bind.

Rings_Installed2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 08/30/20 at 01:40:30

Install one wrist pin circlip in the piston.  Be careful not to distort the clip.  Wiseco uses wire clips, I assume they are made from spring steel.  I like to get them started in the groove and then use my fingernail to pop the free end into the bore.  Don’t get too aggressive with these clips.  You don’t want to deform the clip and end up with it flying out at 6500 rpm.  Here you see the clip started in the groove with the free end just peeking out.  All it takes from here is a little help from your thumbnail to pop the clip right into the bore & groove.

Circlip_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 08/30/20 at 01:41:06

One little shove with your thumbnail and Shazaam!  Mission accomplished.  Make sure it’s in the groove all the way around.

Circlip_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 08/30/20 at 01:41:59

Apply a generous amount of assembly lubricant to the wrist pin and the bores in the rod and piston.  Place the piston onto the rod and slip the wrist pin through the rod & piston.  The arrow on the top of the piston must face forward.  Pack the crankcase opening with clean rags and install the other circlip.  The clean rags are there to prevent the clip from falling into the crankcase if it gets away from you.  Things happen.

Place a proper piston support between the crankcase and the piston.  The piston must be properly supported in order to install the cylinder over the piston & rings.  Sorry, this is a picture of a stock piston, but you get the idea.

Example_of_Piston_Install.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 08/30/20 at 01:43:08

I used a copper base gasket with a thin coat of Permatex Optimum Grey sealant.

Sealant_on_Gasket_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 08/30/20 at 01:44:07

I hate to beat a dead horse, but this simple applicator works great, and I absolutely love this readily available Permatex product.  It comes in Black or Grey, stays wet for a long time to make assembly a breeze, and stands up well to the rigors of an air-cooled engine.

Sealant_Pallet2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 08/30/20 at 01:44:39

First, I apply the sealant to the top side of the gasket, lay it in place on the bottom of the cylinder, clamp it, and let it sit overnight so the sealant can cure.

Base_Gasket_Install_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 08/30/20 at 01:45:09

You can see from this photo that the sealant squeeze out into the oil feed is miniscule.  When it’s time to plant the cylinder onto the crankcase, I apply another coat of sealant to the underside of the gasket rather than the top of the case.  That way, if any little bits of crud fall during the install, they won’t get stuck in wet sealant and I can brush the crud away just before I bring the cylinder all the way down.

Base_Gasket_Install_Sealant.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 08/30/20 at 01:46:45

There is a radiused relief in the front of the cylinder.  I assume it’s for the balancer weight or the con rod, never really checked.  You don’t want any of the ring gaps lined up with that relief.  During cylinder installation, the ring could snag and break.  You also don’t want any ring gaps lined up with the opening in your ring compressor.  This photo shows exactly what not to do.  The ring compressor opening should be positioned at the rear of the cylinder, and no gaps should line up with the opening in the ring compressor.  This is especially important on a 97mm build because there’s hardly any chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder due to the extra thin sleeve.

Ring_Compressor_Wrong_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 08/30/20 at 01:48:12

Stagger the ring gaps as described in the Wiseco instructions, while taking into consideration what I pointed out about the cylinder relief.  Make sure the two alignment dowels are installed in the crankcase.  Lubricate the cylinder, piston, and rings with a generous amount of clean engine oil.  Cinch up your rings in the ring compressor (opening toward the rear).  Apply a thin uniform coat of sealant to the underside of the gasket.  Double check that everything is ready, then install the cylinder over the piston & rings.  Remove the ring compressor and piston support, then bring home the jug.

You will notice that I have left the dowel out in this demonstration photo.  Can’t even follow my own directions.  Don’t make this mistake.  Make sure both dowels are in place before you start to install the cylinder.

Piston_Support.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 08/30/20 at 01:49:36

The tricky part is out of the way.  Getting the cylinder over the rings is, IMO, the hardest part.  Now it’s time for the head.

Copper Gaskets Unlimited (CGU) recommends two sealants for their head gaskets, Permatex Ultra Grey 3294 or Copper Coat.  I decided to use Copper Coat because it’s a spray on sealant and the info I found said it is specifically intended for head gaskets.   I figured it would provide a more uniform layer of sealant and the suspended copper particles in the sealant would transfer heat better.  See in the picture how it actually shows a cylinder head and head gasket on the can?????

Note:  The Copper Coat was a mistake.  Don’t use that stuff.  More on the sealants in the Test & Tune report.

Gasket_Sealant_32.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 08/30/20 at 01:50:20

I sprayed a nice even coat on the head gasket.  You can’t even tell the sealant is on there since it’s the same color as the gasket.

Gasket_Sealant_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 12:27:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.