Send Topic Print
Jetting questions ?! (Read 117 times)
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jetting questions ?!
08/28/20 at 20:47:34

Thanks for any help !! I have a 2011 Suzuki boulevard s40, I put a slip on muffler, as well as an individual filter. The bike turns over but does not start ! Should I get the bike ?Shockedr should I just turn the tuning screw and see if it starts ? Also if I do need a jetting kit witch one do I use on this year make and model please and thanks !!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Jetting questions ?!
Reply #1 - 08/28/20 at 21:06:36

@dab37 wrote on 08/28/20 at 20:47:34:
Should I get the bike ?Shockedr should I just turn the tuning screw and see if it starts ?...
-----------  

I don't understand that question and you don't turn anything when it won't start.  Tuning does not fix problems.  Tuning makes a running bike run better (or worse).  And you don't order a jet kit for a bike that won't run.

Bikes don't just not start because you changed a pipe and filter.  Depending on the pipe, they may run pretty much the same or you might need to jet.  You'll have to get it running so you can see how it runs with your mods before getting into jetting.

The most likely reason it won't start besides being out of gas (you do have gas right?) or having a low battery (make sure it's fully charged) is that your new "individual filter" (assume you mean pod filter) is blocking the holes on the back of the carb.  (Be aware that most of these pod filters actually have less air flow than the stock airbox and filter.  Don't assume you need bigger jets.)

I would remove the filter and see if it starts.  Then come back here and search what filters work with theses bikes.  I can't help you there, I kept the stock airbox on mine.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/29/20 at 06:51:36

I agree with Ohio,.. don't mess with jetting until you have the bike running.
Has the bike been sitting?

What does this mean?..."Should I get the bike ?"

Make sure your battery is fully charged.
Don't crank the starter for more than 10 seconds at a time.
Do the basics,.. check for gas, spark, and compression.
(if you can't check compression, just have someone crank the starter for 5 seconds and feel the exhaust for good puffs of air with each cycle).

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/29/20 at 21:00:48

Thanks for the reply ! Greatly appreciated ! Sorry if I was confusing ,let me start over to be clear . I have the bike ,and it's been running great, then I parked the bike , took off the stock airbox and filter , replaced it with a cone filter yes exactly . Then I went to start the bike and it's turning over but it won't catch. Did some reading and I just figured I needed to jet the bike because I thought maybe the bike was getting to much or not enough air ! , Also yes I took the cone filter back off and it's still turning over but not starting ! Any way someone could please call me possibly ? 918 428 9151 bishop

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 08/29/20 at 23:36:08

How long was it 'parked'?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/30/20 at 14:44:34

It was only sitting for about 45 minutes while I did the swap. the bike has been running great it never sat where you at. Of time! when I say I parked the bike I only meant I put it in the garage parked it did the swap. Try to fire it back up and it wouldn't catch! The bike never sat for any. Of time it's been running fine the same day I did the swap earlier that day I rode the bike. So I rode for a few hours came back to the house did the swap with in 45 minutes went to start the bike and it only turned over wouldnt catch !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/30/20 at 14:49:36

Did you put the Petcock on prime to fill the bowl?
If you've tried long enough, it's time to start charging the battery..
IDK,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/30/20 at 14:56:22

No I did not put the petcock on prime to fill the bowl or anything like that all I did was swap out the stock air filter and box for a cone filter. I didn't ever mess with the petcock or anything like that at all so I didn't figure I ever needed to fill the bowl I figured it would be like that since I didn't touch any of that?
I guess what I'm trying to say is it has nothing to do with the battery because I was writing it right before and it's cranking over fine they only happen when I took the air filter off so I was guessing that it had something to do with the fuel and air mixture?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/30/20 at 15:29:10

If you have the stock petcock,.. check that the vacuum line is still connected. Right side of carb, up to back of petcock.
(stock line is spring covered)...

(here the line and tap is shown blocked. On a stock petcock, they should be connected)

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/30/20 at 15:37:11

Yes I still have the stock petcock. I'm about to get off work and head home so I will double check that and make sure!. I have one question to ask . So you guys are saying... That if you take the stock box off the stock air filter no matter what air filter and stuff you put on their dirt bike should start up no matter what... It just might need a little tuning after it does start?

IP Logged
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/30/20 at 18:19:00

pROBLEM SOLVED ! Man I feel so stupid guys! so for one it had nothing to do with my air filter system at all !! So I went back and double-check everything from top to bottom in that area and I found that there was a green and orange wire if anyone is coming over with that and it's one of the two clusters of wire that run to the rectifier and it wasn't all the way plugged in where it was getting connection plugged it in and it fired right up no problems!! I'm so relieved and I appreciate your guys's help just in case you were wondering this is what I'm writing right now I'm in the middle of what you could say is my first"build ?

IMG_20200826_181255.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 08/30/20 at 18:23:47

Looks pretty cool.  The paint on the tank actually looks really good with the lines of the bike and seat color.  It even blends in with the rusty rear fender and sissy bar.  Bike is done in my book.  As soon as it looks cool, stop working one it!  haha

As for mechanicals, don't mess with more than one thing at a time and you'll be fine.

IP Logged
@dab37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/30/20 at 18:28:51

Most appreciated brother man, and most definitely man learned my lesson the hard way I most definitely be extra careful especially after this little incident really threw me for a loop lol

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 08/30/20 at 18:44:08

A lot of people come on here with big plans.  They rip their bike apart and never get it back together.  You are doing it right.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 08/30/20 at 18:45:13

There is this one guy, Armen.  He has been working on his bike forever.  I think his bike was a basket case or something.  He keeps drilling holes in everything.  Who knows when he'll get it done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 12:59:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting questions ?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.