Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly (Read 248 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly
Reply #30 - 08/30/20 at 01:52:41

Install the two dowels and the forward chain guide.  Carefully lay the head gasket in place.  Then install the cylinder head.

It’s at this point in my story that I must plead stupidity.  I got on such a roll that I forgot to take pictures.  I’ve searched all my photos and I just don’t have any pictures of the head installation.  But it’s pretty straight forward.

I oil the threads on the cylinder studs with clean engine oil and I apply Loctite 592 Teflon Thread Sealant to the tops and bottoms of each copper washer for the head nuts.  Then I torque it to spec in four increments.  I have found that silicone sealant screws up the torque and you don’t develop adequate stress in the studs.  The Teflon sealant works great, and it doesn’t leak.  This old post gives you some valuable info on cylinder stud stress.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1576269113/12#12

This is the sealant I like for the cylinder head washers.  If you use a different sealant you may not develop sufficient stress in the studs.

Loctite_529_PTFE_Thread_Sealant2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 08/30/20 at 01:53:37

Some of you may have noticed a small hole in the head casting down in the sparkplug well.  That hole is the result of drilling and tapping one of the head cover bolt holes during the manufacturing process.  I don’t particularly care for that hole since I want to keep the head cover sealant to a minimum.  The bolt hole in question is adjacent to the left-hand cam bearing, an area prone to fouling with sealant.  This is the hole I’m talking about.

Hole2markup2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 08/30/20 at 01:54:18

I fill up that hole with silicone sealant to provide additional assurance that I don’t end up with a leaker.  There’s release agent on the bolt so I don’t have any trouble removing it once the sealant sets up.

Hole_Filling2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 08/30/20 at 01:56:16

Now that the head is installed and properly torqued, it’s time to install the cam.  Slip the rear chain guide into place and drop the chain down through the chain cavity.   Then place the cam sprocket into the cavity outboard of the chain.  I slip a rod through the chain and sprocket to hold it all in place.

Cam_Install_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 08/30/20 at 02:05:31

The cam goes in next.  Apply a light coat of assembly lube to the cam bearing journals and to the cam bearings in the head.  Don’t get lube on the sealing surfaces.  Set the timing mark on the alternator rotor at TDC.  It must line up with the mark on the alternator cover.

Crank_at_TDC_2markup2.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 08/30/20 at 02:06:33

Then slip the cam through the chain and sprocket and install one bolt to secure the sprocket temporarily.  Work the chain around the sprocket as necessary to get the timing marks on the cam lined up with the head surface.  It’s a little tricky.

Straight_Up_Timing_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 08/30/20 at 02:07:13

Sometimes you have to index the drive gear a little to achieve correct cam timing.  With a stock cam, the factory mark on the drive sprocket is generally lined up with the mark on the crankshaft.  But for this DR cam, I ended up retarding the drive sprocket one-spline in order to achieve correct timing mark alignment on the cam.  The important thing here is you want the marks on the cam aligned correctly when the TDC mark on the alternator rotor is aligned with it's mark on the alternator cover.  This shows the drive sprocket retarded one-spline.

1_spline_retarded_equals_straight_up_timing.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 08/30/20 at 02:07:59

A good double check is to lay a six-inch scale on the head surface.  It should completely cover the cam timing marks when the cam is timed straight up (not retarded and not advanced).

Straight_Up_Timing_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 08/30/20 at 02:09:58

The cam timing is perfect.  To make sure it doesn’t jump time, install the cam chain tensioner.  Then install the lock plate and the other cam sprocket bolt.  I set mine with red Loctite also.

Don’t forget this doodad.  Place it on top of the cam journal and roll it into the groove.  

Thrust_Ring_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 08/30/20 at 02:10:31

Slather up the cam lobes with cam break-in lube.  Web provides this stuff with the cam.  It looks like jelly.  Keep it away from the kids.

Cam_Install_32.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 08/30/20 at 02:11:05

Don’t forget the infamous head plug or the plug on the right side of the cam.  I use the stock head plug with a strongback inserted to limit any upward movement of the plug.  I actually like the design of the stock plug, but I hate the fact that it can migrate upward.  The strongback limits movement to about .001” to .002”.  Haven’t had a leaker yet.

Cam_Install_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 08/30/20 at 02:11:52

Take a quick look around to make sure you haven’t left anything behind and to verify that the lock tabs are bent over the cam sprocket bolts.  Install the fancy o-ring in the head cover oil feed (I usually cement mine with small dabs of sealant a day before installation).

Apply a nice coat of sealant to the head cover.  Note how I keep the sealant away from the left-hand cam bearing, and that there is no sealant around the right-hand cam bearing.  A thin, uniform coat of sealant is the way to go.  Apply a thin film of assembly lube on the surfaces of the cam bearings (keep the lube off the sealing surfaces & sealant), then carefully place the head cover onto the head and over the dowels.

Cam_Install_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 08/30/20 at 02:12:59

Install all the bolts in the head cover.  Make sure that the special sealing washers are where they belong and that all the bolts are installed in their correct location.  There’s a great illustration in the manual, use it.

It’s time for a humiliating confession.  I made a classic rookie mistake.  That old jalopy cylinder, the one I bored out in Part 1, the one that was all beat up with broken fins and 20 years of slop baked on; I didn’t inspect the three threaded holes in that cylinder.  As soon as I laid the wrench on this sorry bolt, I knew I was screwed.  The bolt head hadn’t even made metal-to-metal contact and I could tell that hole wasn’t right.  As soon as I started to tighten this thing, I knew the threads were gone.  Why did I not check those holes?????

Stripped_Threads_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 08/30/20 at 02:13:50

There was no way I was pullin that head back off.  What a mess.  I looked it over and decided all was not lost.  The bolt was a good candidate for salvage.  It’s located on the right front side of the head.  It’s not a pressurized fastener.  I decided to drill through and install a ¼-20 grade-8 bolt with a nut.

Stripped_Thread_Repair_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 08/30/20 at 02:14:46

It worked good.  I used a ¼-20 grade-8 bolt x 6” long.  Had to cut a few threads off.  It ended up 5-13/16” long.   This bolt, and the one just forward of it, can be repaired using this technique.  The one in the right-rear location can’t be repaired this way unless you remove the head.

Stripped_Thread_Repair_132.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 10:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 5 - Assembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.