Carburetor Shootout (Read 1470 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Carburetor Shootout
Reply #45 - 03/28/20 at 23:41:07

A lot of time was spent experimenting with transition ports.  I tried adding a fourth port, and then had to fill it back in.

Transition_Ports_Add_4th_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - 03/28/20 at 23:41:41

Once installed, the Super-E almost looked like it belonged on the Savage.

Finished_Installation_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 03/28/20 at 23:44:18

So, there you have it.  Four carbs, one winner.  Based on the scores, the Mikuni VM38 is the champ.  It excels in all categories, and in my informed opinion, really is the sweetest mixer in the bunch.  It is also the most flexible.  The replaceable main air bleed and needle jet provide additional tuning options.  It provides great drivability and performance with a healthy dose of fuel economy.

While the VM is clearly the winner, I think the Keihin PWK38 is a mighty close second.  Both carbs are almost flawless.

Don’t overlook the stock carburetor.  This test shows that it will perform well on a highly modified engine.  It requires a bit of tweaking, but it will reward you with good results if you are willing to spend the time and effort.  Obviously, it will never keep up with the other mixers in a drag race, but it will support a lot more performance than the bone stock engine produces.

I must admit, I really wanted the Super-E to pull a rabbit out of the hat.  It’s tough to make the case when the other mixers are so darned good.  She has served me well for over 30 years, but I think it’s time for her retirement.  There will always be a place in my heart for the Super-E.

I hope this report will provide you with some good information.  The installation notes and photos should help you plan for a carb swap, and the jetting data I listed will get you pretty close on an engine with similar modifications.

Knowledge is power.

Stay well.

Mike  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #48 - 03/29/20 at 05:31:37

Excellent post. Informative, to the point and even entertaining. Great science Mike. I’ve used 3 of these carbs (never had a Super E) as well as others (my DRZ has an MX39 pumper...a real pia to diagnose). I think the most important aspect of any carb is to understand how it works and what each jet and passage does. With that understanding tuning, maintenance and troubleshooting become very easy. As you proved/showed in your last carb comparison, at WOT there isn’t a big difference between carbs with similar Venturi openings. However throttle response can be very different. I find that the stock carb works very well on my mostly stock engine. However, if I ever install performance cams and a HC piston, I’ll be looking for a VM kit for sure.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #49 - 03/29/20 at 06:51:51

Excellent post, Mike!
As with all your posts, well written and photographed.
Which wide band O2 do you use?
I have a Mikuni RS40 on mine. Only ran it for a minute or two, seems fine, but I'm sure I'll be twiddling and fiddling.
Have to say, the Lancer kit seems pretty sexy!
Someone once described an S&S as a trash can with a trap door. Good for farm equipment and old HDs, but not much to talk about compared to modern carbs.
thanks so much!
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 03/29/20 at 08:50:44

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/28/20 at 23:44:18:
 Based on the scores, the Mikuni VM38 is the champ.  It excels in all categories, and in my informed opinion, really is the sweetest mixer in the bunch.  

Don’t overlook the stock carburetor.  This test shows that it will perform well on a highly modified engine.  It requires a bit of tweaking, but it will reward you with good results if you are willing to spend the time and effort.
Mike  

Mike:  Great review, and it supports my experience with this bike.

I am not a drag racer - my engine modifications were intended to make a better running engine.  Not necessary the best - but better.  My rides are generally on 40-60 mph twisty back roads, and my rides are spirited -but generally don't require more than 1/2 throttle at any point during the rides.  I stay at the speed limits on the straight sections, and I try not to slow down much for corners......my fun is on the curves!

I ran the stock carb and air box and paper filter for a year after adding the Wiseco 95mm, performance cam, head porting and less restrictive exhaust.  The engine ran great and was a lot more fun than the stock engine.  When I switched to the Mikuni VM38, the only real change I noticed was a bit faster throttle response - but we are talking tenths of a second of change.....it just felt like the throttle was more directly connected to the engine.  On a normal ride either carb proved to work very well as I tend to roll on the throttle - I seldom "wack" open the throttle instantly.

The only negative I have about the VM38 - is that if you set the carb up for a 1,100 RPM idle, and you have to do a panic stop and pull in the clutch and chop the throttle instantly while you brake hard - the engine can stall as a result of the instantly closed throttle.  The higher compression piston and light flywheel may also contribute to the problem.  I believe the stock CV carb and TEV valve are a bit more reliable in the chopped throttle scenario.  Rejetting the carb richer at idle or increasing the idle speed would help with the chopped throttle stalling scenario - but the current jetting is set up so the bike runs well during normal operation, and I am not willing to rejet to resolve an issue that only occurs a couple times a summer.

So......I am supporting the use of the stock carb - it really is a decent carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 03/30/20 at 15:28:37

Gary, if you get around to installing a bigger bump-stick and HC piston, don’t hesitate to massage those ports.  The stock intake port flows very close to the stock carburetor, so you really won’t get much out of a bigger carb unless you work the ports.  The stock carb flows 159 cfm vs the stock intake port’s 167 cfm, fairly close.  If you work the intake port similar to what I have posted here (epoxy and re-shape), you can get that intake port flow up to 195 cfm.  A much better match for a 38 or 40mm carb.

Armen, “Trash can with a trap door”, harsh Dude 😊.  That old Super E was sweet on my Harley.  Every bit as good as the stock Harley Keihin CV and the Mikuni HS40 I tried.  But hey, the S&S was specifically designed for the Harley.  The Savage?  Not so much.

My A/F meter is a AEM model 30-4110 UEGO.  It’s not a Cadillac but it gets the job done.  I was able to install the O2 sensor without welding.  Fabricated a bolt-in bung from a 1”-14 bolt and nut.  Have to fish the nut in through the muffler inlet.  A bit tricky but doable.  The meter is one of those temporary installations that never seem to get removed.  I really should clean up the gage mount.

AFR_Meter_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 03/30/20 at 15:31:06

This shows the O2 sensor in the muffler.

O2_Sensor_3_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #53 - 03/30/20 at 15:32:00

I dial in the WOT A/F ratio as close as I can get it (safely) and then finish up by recording vids of the meter as I accelerate onto the freeway in 3rd gear.  I take it all the way to 7500 rpm.  Then I review the vids in the safety of my home office.  Make the final jet changes based on the vids.   Then re-check.  It’s way safer than trying to stare at the A/F meter while you’re running up to 7.5K (Hey! Keep your eyes on the road).  I have a hood that eliminates all the glare, so the vids are crystal clear.

I love the Go-Pro setup.  It takes a lot of guesswork out of test & tune.  I got the idea from Verslagen.  He was using a camera to monitor his float level.  How cool is that?

No_Glare_AF_Vid_Setup_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 03/30/20 at 15:33:11

Dave, I agree the stock carb suits your riding style.  It’s in the sweet spot right where you do most of your work.  Power delivery is linear.  Very good match.  BTW, I also experienced that panic stop stall with the VM.  It only happened once.  Mikuni used a baffle on some of the older off-road applications.  It supposedly prevented the fuel from sloshing around in the float bowl.  That part might still be available.  It was held in place by the main jet (as I recall).  If you look at the picture of the PWK internals, Keihin appears to have incorporated a similar built-in baffle that should mitigate fuel slosh.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #55 - 04/02/20 at 07:55:31

So when are you getting a lectron carb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 04/02/20 at 10:35:39

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/30/20 at 15:33:11:
Dave, I agree the stock carb suits your riding style.  It’s in the sweet spot right where you do most of your work.  Power delivery is linear.  Very good match.  BTW, I also experienced that panic stop stall with the VM.  It only happened once.  Mikuni used a baffle on some of the older off-road applications.  It supposedly prevented the fuel from sloshing around in the float bowl.  That part might still be available.  It was held in place by the main jet (as I recall).  If you look at the picture of the PWK internals, Keihin appears to have incorporated a similar built-in baffle that should mitigate fuel slosh.

The edelbrock quicksilver has a baffle and foam in the lower half of the bowl.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 04/02/20 at 10:36:29

ZSteele wrote on 04/02/20 at 07:55:31:
So when are you getting a lectron carb?

I'm sure mike will gladly accept any donations.

WWW   IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #58 - 04/02/20 at 11:01:46

Lectron seems to give out a few of their carbs for review, given DBM's testing methods and experience with many carbs it might be worth and email to get one for testing and sharing info with the forum community. If they're as good as they say/seem then I would think they'd love the testing and possible new market.

Also thunderproducts has a baffle for the VM's.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #59 - 04/03/20 at 13:07:00

Baffle ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6