Carburetor Shootout (Read 1469 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Carburetor Shootout
Reply #15 - 03/28/20 at 23:14:52

Getting to the slide assembly requires a bit of work too.  It’s either pull the fuel tank or pull the carb.  Removing and reinstalling the stock carburetor is arduous if the stock battery box is in the way.

Carb_Top_Access_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 03/28/20 at 23:17:34

Mikuni VM38.

The Mikuni VM38 is a variable venturi carburetor with a round slide.  The venturi is 37.4mm.  It flowed 178 cfm @ 15” H2O.  It has no accelerator pump.

Installation 3: It was very easy.  The only thing that needed alteration was the decompression relay.  I had to move it to a frame tube (a simple zip-tie job).

Tuning 4:  Of the four carburetors, the VM was by far the easiest to dial in.  No modifications were necessary to tune the carb, only simple jet changes.  It only took a few jet changes to get it just right.  All the necessary jets, needles, and slides are provided in Lancer’s kit, and if you need more, they are readily available.

Final jetting for this engine setup was: Main Jet #210, Pilot Jet #22.5, Needle Jet #166-Q2, Jet-Needle 6DP1 (clip in middle groove), Main Air Bleed #0.5, Slide cutaway 2.5, Float Level 19mm, Air Screw 1-5/8 turns.

Drivability 4:  It is an excellent carburetor for a daily driver or a hotrod.  Starts easy, almost always on the first crank.  Quick warmup.  Idles smooth.  Great throttle response.  No hesitation.  Super-smooth cruising.  No afterfire on deceleration other than a pleasant (to me) cackcle/crackle, no KABOOM.

Acceleration 3:  The VM38 pulled a 4K to 7K time of 2.90 seconds.  It is tied for the 2nd fastest slot.

Fuel Economy 4:  The VM38 got 59.2 mpg (best in test).

Maintenance 4: Maintenance on the VM38 is about as good as it gets.  Accessibilty is good.  Complexity is low.  Very simple.  It’s easy to remove and replace this carburetor, and there’s ample room to remove the float bowl with the carb installed on the engine.  There’s a plug in the float bowl for main jet replacement and/or draining water and sediment.

Total score for the VM38 is 22.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 03/28/20 at 23:18:26

Mikuni VM38 Points of Interest

Lancer’s VM38 kit had almost everything I needed to install and fine tune the VM38.  I had it running great in about three or four hours.

Lancers_Kit_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 03/28/20 at 23:18:59

This is the business end of the VM.  Note the removable main air bleed (nice tuning feature) and the float bowl drain plug (provides access to the main jet).  That big venturi is good for about 178 cfm @ 15” H2O.

Mikuni_Venturi_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 03/28/20 at 23:19:30

The VM uses an old school round slide with a tapered needle.

VM_Slide_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 03/28/20 at 23:20:00

It’s a snap to swap out a main jet or dump water and sediment when you have one of these (drain plug).  It’s also a good idea to always convert the pan-head screws to socket-head screws, makes life a whole bunch easier.

Mikuni_Bowl_Drain_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 03/28/20 at 23:20:33

The inner workings of the VM are typical of most any carburetor, except it uses a unique float arrangement where the floats remain in the float bowl (on long slider pins) while the needle & seat are in the carb body.  Main jet and pilot jet are standard fare.

Mikuni_Float_Arm__Jets_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 03/28/20 at 23:21:03

Here you can see how the floats are arranged in the float bowl.

Mikuni_Floats__Bowl_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 03/28/20 at 23:21:45

Installation and maintenance are a cinch.  There’s lots of room, even with the stock battery box.  Fuel line, vent tubes, and air boot all hook right up, almost like the stocker.  It’s also easy to remove the float bowl without removing the carburetor (especially if you covert to socket-head screws).

VM_Maintenance_Access_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 03/28/20 at 23:22:24

Here’s the solution for the decompression relay.  The 90°elbow on the throttle cable hits the relay, so you must move the relay to a new location.  I simply zip-tied the relay to the frame tube.  Works great.

DeComp_Relay_7_Final_Position_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 03/28/20 at 23:25:56

Keihin PWK38 Air Striker  

The Keihin PWK38 Air Striker is a variable venturi carburetor.   It uses a semi-flat slide.  The venturi is 37.8mm.  It flowed 186 cfm @ 15” H2O.  It has no accelerator pump.

Installation 2:  Although this carburetor doesn’t come in kit form, it is still very easy to install.  I only spent about three hours to install the carb and fire up the engine.  That included time spent taking photos and tearing down the carb so I could see what makes it tick.

My special air filter setup clamped right up, and I used the Barnett cable that came in Lancer’s VM38 kit.  I had to enlarge the slot in the fitting that accepts the cable barrel.  That was it.  The decompression relay was fine right where I had it zip-tied.  The stock carburetor manifold was a tad loose, but it worked just fine with a narrow stainless-steel worm clamp.  If you prefer a tighter fit, a Mikuni rubber mounting flange (part number HS42/018-42K) works perfect.

If I had not already installed the VM38, I would have had to procure a cable that fits.  I also had to modify the fitting for the cable and come up with a narrow stainless-steel worm clamp.  The PWK was a bit harder to install than the VM.

Tuning 3: The PWK38 was easy to dial in but the jets provided with the carb were way too big.  The needle that comes with the carb has no markings, so it had to be identified through measurement.  It’s an EGN.  I had to find and purchase needles, main jets, and pilot jets.  The grooves in the new needles are narrow and would not accept the e-clip.  This carburetor only costs $75 (from DCMotive), so it’s easier to forgive the narrow selection of jets included with the carb.

No modifications were necessary to get the carb to function properly, but the jet-needle had to be changed from an EGN to an EEN.  Once the needle was replaced, it was easy to tune.  A complete selection of jets, needles, and slides are readily available for the PWK.

Final jetting for this engine setup was: Main Jet #140, Pilot Jet #40, Needle Jet as delivered (fixed .114”), Jet-Needle EEN (clip in 2nd groove), Main Air Bleed as delivered size unknown, Slide Cutaway 7.0, Float Level: level with carb inverted, Idle Mix Screw 1-3/4 turns.

Drivability 4:  It is an excellent carburetor.  It drives almost identical to the VM, hard to tell them apart when you’re in the saddle.

Acceleration 4:  The PWK38 pulled a 4K to 7K time of 2.82 seconds.  It was the fastest.  

Fuel Economy 3:  The PWK38 got 57.2 mpg (2nd best).

Maintenance  4:  All aspects of maintenance on the PWK38 are essentially identical to the Mikuni VM.  Access, adjustment, etc. are almost identical.   Very simple.

Total score for the PWK38 is 20.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 03/28/20 at 23:27:17

Keihin PWK38 Air Striker Points of Interest

I got the Keihin PWK38 from DCMotive.  It’s not a kit, just the carburetor and a small package of extra jets.  At $75 bucks the price was right, and it was at my door just two days after I placed the order.  The jets were too large, and the needle was too lean, so I had to come up with a variety of jets and needles. My air filter clamped right up to the PWK and Lancer’s throttle cable had just enough adjustment to work with the Keihin carb.

PWK_Kit_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 03/28/20 at 23:27:52

This is the business end of the PWK.  That big venturi is good for about 186 cfm @ 15” H2O.  The fin things are air vanes (the “Air Striker” feature that supposedly amps up the venturi vacuum signal).

PWK_Air_Striker_Vanes_3_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 03/28/20 at 23:28:23

Just like the Mikuni VM, it’s easy to swap out a main jet or dump water and sediment because the PWK has a drain plug.  Here you can see the pan-head screw vs socket head screw, the socket heads are much better, always do the conversion.

PWK_Float_Bowl_Screws_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 03/28/20 at 23:28:58

The inner workings of the PWK are typical of most any carburetor, float, needle & seat, main jet, pilot jet, etc.

PWK_Float__Jets_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 07:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Shootout

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.