Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Carburetor Shootout (Read 1470 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Re: Carburetor Shootout
Reply #60 - 04/03/20 at 13:37:09

I can't remember if its metal or a plastic material but basically it just sits in the float bowl at what I can only guess is at or above float level and prevents splash up.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #61 - 04/03/20 at 13:38:37

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #62 - 04/04/20 at 06:20:53

Usually the baffle clips to a boss mount at the main jet. Everyone I’ve seen is plastic.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #63 - 04/05/20 at 00:48:25

Great write up Mike.  Your always so thorough and your pictures are always great.

Im curious where you found the EEN jet.  This seems to be the white whale of jet needles.

I have yet to find one place that carries them. It appears to be stock on a 1988 - 1989 Kawasaki KX125 but doesnt appear to be used anywhere else that I can find.

It goes by these names...
N427-48 EEN
48-EEN
EEN/017-455
R2072J
16009-1414 (for kawi)

It shows up in the charts, but actually attaining one is another matter.
https://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needle_keihin_N427-48.html

I dont doubt your measurements and findings, but the needle that comes with the carb is supposed to be a DDJ (48-ddj / DDJ/017-500 / N427-48 DDJ).  Which has the measurements of 36.80mm in length, 2.685 diameter with a 1.45 degree taper.

Ill have to check the other ones and see what they actually come with.

I ask, because I was trying to offer a kit version as well. Perhaps with a few optional needles.  But that one you list is apparently like the most rare jet needle there is.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 04/05/20 at 01:44:32

Spammy,  I got the EEN from Jets-R-Us.  

I just checked their website and I see that there is a place marker between the EGN and the ECN.  I believe that place marker is for the EEN.  As I recall, the EEN was listed when I purchased.  It had to have been listed, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to order it.  My invoice is dated 1/28/20, part number N427-48-EEN/017-455.  Did you try calling Jets-R-Us?

To me, the needle delivered with the carburetor was suspect.  Keihin and Mikuni genuine parts usually have their part number and logo.  The needle that came in my PWK had no markings whatsoever.  Plus the grooves were wider and the e-clip was too wide for the replacements.

You might also try Sudco.  They sell the PWK too.

It would be a shame if you can't get the needle because the carb runs sweet with that EEN.  I believe it will probably run OK with the ECN too, but the needle might end up in the max lean position.

I was very careful when I measured the needle delivered with the carburetor.  It required some simple trigonometry to calculate the angle.  It works out to exactly 2 degrees.  I'm very confident that the needle that came with the carb is a EGN or equivalent.  It was also too lean.  My notes show I was able to get it rideable with the EGN by placing the clip in the lowest groove.  Might be able to dial it in with a washer or two under the e-clip.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 04/06/20 at 02:58:55

Well lookie here.

http://www.sudco.com/genuine_vs_fake_carburetors.html

I went on the Sudco website and found this info on fake Chinese knockoff carbs.  The unmarked needle is consistent with what Sudco is providing for identification of a knockoff.  The hoses are a mystery, I don't know what "PLAS TECH" means.  Is that some sort of trademark?  Should I expect to see PLAS TECH marked on the hose?

The box looks legit, and "made in Japan" is on the box and some included paperwork.  The jets have the Keihin logo along with their size designator.  There isn't a serial number anywhere on the carb.

If the PWK I have is a knockoff, the Chinese are getting awfully good at it.  The fit & finish quality of the PWK actually seems a bit better than the VM (with the exception of the drain plug o-ring).

All's I can say is it runs and looks good.  Shocked

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #66 - 04/10/20 at 14:08:02

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/05/20 at 01:44:32:
Spammy,  I got the EEN from Jets-R-Us.
-------

Jets-r-us... LOL RANT coming!

They say "All sales are final" for good reasons.  They are saying don't oder if you don't know what you want.  Make sense.  What doesn't make sense is that when they send me the wrong jets as in not the ones I ordered and not the ones listed on packing slip.  They expect me to pay to send them back.  But they clearly state they don't take jets back because they can't sell them allegedly.  They could have been drilled out.  So why do they want it back now???  They expect me to pay for their mistakes.

How about you send me the jets I ordered and I'll throw our mistake out.  Or you pay shipping if you must have them back (even though you state you'll never take jets back).  

And yes, we are talking about $5 but it's the principle of how they decide to do business.  End rant.  Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/12/20 at 06:06:46 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #67 - 04/11/20 at 02:25:27

I can't complain about Jets-R-Us.  I have ordered a ton of jets and parts from them.  They sent me the wrong item only once.  I didn't bother to complain.  I guess if it had been something I absolutely had to have right away I would have been ticked off.  I get the parts within four or five days, and they charge a flat rate of $7 bucks for shipping.

In contrast, I ordered a couple of pilot jets from Dennis Kirk.  They sent the two teeny-weeny jets in a medium flat rate box.  Shipping was over $10 bucks as I recall.  Now that's hosed up.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #68 - 04/29/20 at 13:52:45

Regarding the questions pertaining to the baffle for the Mikuni VM38, this is a picture of a Honda dirt-bike carburetor that Dave has been working on.  The white plastic piece is the baffle in question.  

The baffle helps to keep the fuel from sloshing away from the main jet. I've also seen baffles made from brass, and in the case of the PWK the baffle is integral to the casting.  

The baffle is typically used on off-road vehicles because they shake the carbs up pretty good.  Don't usually see the baffles on street applications.

Thanks for the pic Dave.

Baffle_Typical.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #69 - 08/31/20 at 04:47:31

For the Keihin and Keihin type carbs that Mike tested here I have revamped the selection and stocked up again. There were some waiting and I thought this excellent write up should be bumped anyways.

https://dcmotive.com/products/keihin-38mm-pwk38-carburetor

(Sorry no cables with the kits, thats Lancers forte. Order from him or adapt your own)

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #70 - 09/01/20 at 02:52:42

If the VM38 works so well, can we assume the VM36 is no longer an option?
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #71 - 09/01/20 at 04:37:23

They both work quite well.  I do think the 36 has an advantage in the low-mid range due to the fact that a smaller tube will pass a given amount of air through it at a higher velocity than a larger tube, which will pull the fuel up more efficiently and make power more efficiently.
The 36 is not deficient.  I have a part for a ‘91-later Sportster Carb Kit using a 36mm Carb.  If it will feed a Sporty it will feed a Savage.  It can move all the air you will ever need in it.

I sell both and like both, I also like to focus on the best characteristics of the LS engine which is low-mid grunt & pull.  That’s a big single.  To me the 36 works slightly better for the job in my engine.
I have a Stage 3 cam which has a lower max lift than some the DR’s and so don’t need to try for more air than is provided abundantly already.

My first big single ran a 38 Amal Grand Prix carb on the mile ovals in the 50’s-60’s.   I got it in ‘69.  That was a nice one.  😎

High range performance is excellent, identical to the 38 on my bike.

IP Logged
elysianforest
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #72 - 10/02/20 at 12:25:27

So I just wanted to share a trick I figured out this week for anyone considering the 38mm PWK...

You can reuse the stock intake hose by reversing it and adding a little extension tube to the airbox. About 40mm chopped off the tapered end of a shop-vac extension tube is an absolute perfect fit. I went ahead and used a tiny bit of pvc glue, more for sealing purposes than retention, but that's probably not necessary as the fit is so good.

2005 s40 - working on it
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #73 - 10/02/20 at 13:51:04

Elysianforest, how do you like the PWK?  Fill us in on your setup.  Did you find the installation easy or difficult?  Have any problems dialing the carb in?  Can you post a few pics to elaborate on your air-boot mod.

Regards, Mike  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
elysianforest
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #74 - 10/02/20 at 16:21:31

Hey DBM,

So, I actually just installed it yesterday. I'll let you know once I've got her buttoned up. I'm still waiting on Verslavy's tensioner and head plug mods, but have also just put in Lancer's stage 3 cam, and am currently devising how I'm going to rig up a glass pack muffler I got that is meant for a Royal Enfield.

I found install to be pretty easy overall. I chopped off the end of the stock throttle housing to the little part which fits right into the PWK. I used a cable repair kit (which works fine when soldered) to get the correct ends and length on the cable itself.

Shop-Vac.jpg

2005 s40 - working on it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 16:59:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Shootout

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.