Ryca Rim. (Read 53 times)
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Ryca Rim.
06/10/23 at 06:41:08

I can buy a stranded ryca projeckt for a reasonable price. the owner says he has an extra front rim for the rear wheel. Does that fit? An original front rim on the rear wheel?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ryca Rim.
Reply #1 - 06/10/23 at 07:27:54

I think the front has a different number of spokes than the rear.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #2 - 06/10/23 at 07:29:32

Is it a RYCA or Suzuki rim?  The stock Suzuki front rim is a 19", and won't clear the swing arm with a tire mounted.  I switched to 18" rims front and rear, and still had to cut a clearance notch in the swing arm.

20211031_1402341_001.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/10/23 at 08:45:41

The front and rear rim should be different - but I believe RYCA used the same 2.50" wheel front and rear (If you did not use the stock 19" front Savage wheel).  (The number of spokes is the same).  The  rims have different spoke nipple angles at the rim, and the spokes are also a different length and have different bends.  The front hub is a small diameter - the rear hub is large diameter as it has a drum brake inside the spoke flanges.

The bad thing about the rear rim RYCA offered was that it was too narrow for the 130/70-18 tire they squeezed onto the 2.50" wide rim.  If you are going to use a 2.50x18 rear rim - then a 120/80-18 tire is a better choice.  (I also believe the holes punched in the rim for the spoke nipples was wrong, and you had to use a drill to shape the holes to allow them to work).

If you want to use a 130/70-18 tire - then you really should have a 3.50x18 rim.  I got my Excell rims from Buchanan Spoke and wheel and I am running a 2.15 front with a 90/90-18 tire and a 3.50x18 rear with a 130/70-18 tire.  (I had originally had a 2.50x18 rear rim and discovered the 130/70-18 tire is a bad fit for a 2.50 rim).

Here is a link to my Cafe tire discussion - unfortunately the photos are all gone.  The photos illustrate that squeezing a 130/70 tire on a 2.50" wide rim results in a tread profile that is too rounded as the sidewalls have been squeezed in a full inch.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395

Most of the RYCA videos are still on YouTube to help you assemble the it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #4 - 06/10/23 at 10:56:32

Thanks guys, Here's a picture of the bike.

I already suspected that the angle of the spokes would not be right. I now think that the search for  18" rims will be a big obstacle. But I,m not gonne buy it.
In the end he told me the bike has a high mileage. He said that the engine needs a complete overhaul, I don't have time for that.

I,m looking for a more eazy build this time.
He wants $1000,- For that monney I can buy one whit a way better mileage.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/10/23 at 13:07:13

If you want a RYCA and missed the chance to get a kit.....that is a great price.  I believe the kit was about twice that much money to buy directly from RYCA.  A lot of the parts are hard to replicate.....footpeg mounts, seat, side panels, etc.

Getting proper rims here in the US is not a problem...same with spokes.  Some members have used a rim for a Yamaha XS650 from Mikes....I am not sure where they got the spokes.
https://www.mikesxs.net/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvpCkBhB4EiwAujULMj9f0hfpIpD-x3hgRXbQ0m...

You could also go with cast wheels from an old Suzuki GS bike and avoid the spoke wheel issue.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 06/10/23 at 13:29:17

As I recall spoke holes needed to be drilled the same size but at a steeper angle for the Ryca supplied rear rim  to be easily laced. For me the rear tire size I prefer is 120/90-18 any bigger then you have problems to solve. Swingarm clearance mod is a must. 19” hoops would require to lengthen swingarm and clearance mod and with that much work you might as well junk rear hub , yup let’s get real stupid , put a rear disc brake on it. A pride worthy project , I still have yet to see one on 19” hoops. I would love to find  an unfinished Ryca , oh yeah , a cafe model. I would name it “Slayer” , lay waste to all that have come before ! For me it would be 2 steps up for a build , I’m talkin chalk boards and all kinds of math and $hit , breeze right by all the other mistakes made by me or Ryca and get right to it.
Close your eyes , it’s in your head ! Then build it !     Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 06/10/23 at 13:39:54

A true deal at a Grand ,
Honey , I just bought a bike in the Netherlands , I’ll be back in awhile , I’m gonna go get it ! There’s a bridge , right ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/10/23 at 13:45:10

Yellow pages , ah

Submarine rentals

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 17:41:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca Rim.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.