Carburetor Shootout (Read 1469 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Carburetor Shootout
Reply #75 - 10/03/20 at 15:42:02

Cool the way you repurposed the intake boot and used the section of shopvac tubing to extend the airbox nipple.  I like it.  By any chance, did you take any photos of your cable mods?  Can you provide more detail on the cable mods.  I know someone who might appreciate that info.

Keep us posted on the tuning.  It will be very helpful to know how that goes.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Kwarran
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #76 - 02/02/23 at 00:47:29

DragBikeMike, I went with the Mikuni VM38 carb, but I don't get something. I thought it's better to ask here than to make a new thread. What do you do with the vacuum line from the petcock? And when running the motorcycle you have to put the petcock on PRI? Because I noticed there is no vacuum line on the VM38 carb

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #77 - 02/02/23 at 07:32:36

Switch your petcock to a genuine Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock (no vacuum feed), and plug off the vacuum nipple on the carb.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #78 - 06/10/23 at 12:47:00

Hey Mike.  Incredible study here!!  I have a question that is in no way urgent or terribly important and I know it's the weekend, but I do want to pick your your big brain and put it out here to share!  If you could kindly respond when you get a moment I would greatly appreciate it.

I think you know I installed a PWK40 carb (knock off) on my bike (stock bike except for Jardine exhaust and air box cover removed).  The bike is running quite well, but I'm getting poor gas mileage (like 40mpg) virtually regardless of how aggressive I ride be it in suburbs or highway.  You may recall that I've rejetted several time and I'm running a #48 primary and #162 Main.  I think you commented those seemed really big and I agree, but I'm really not running too rich (performance-wise is good throughout, spark plug check, exhaust pipe check).

After seeing your test results and especially CFM stats, and learning about the venturi effect, fuel atomization, and more than my novice carb-tuning brain can handle....

My theory/question:  The PWK40 carb is just simply too big without any other engine mods (intake porting, cam, piston, valves, etc).  I think I'm having to "jet up" really big to mix up enough gas with all that air to get the correct air/fuel ratio.  I think I've basically force tuned a fat carb on the bike and gas mileage is showing the gluttonous appetite.

Your results for the Harley SS carb really got me thinking down this path.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise!!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 06/10/23 at 18:53:14

"My theory/question:  The PWK40 carb is just simply too big without any other engine mods (intake porting, cam, piston, valves, etc).  I think I'm having to "jet up" really big to mix up enough gas with all that air to get the correct air/fuel ratio.  I think I've basically force tuned a fat carb on the bike and gas mileage is showing the gluttonous appetite."

I managed better than 50 mpg with the PWK38 on this carb shootout.  If you go back to the section that tested the PWK it should give the exact data.  That was with a hopped up engine.

On a completely stock engine, the PWK 40 averaged 55 mpg.  This post provides the details on that test.  Jetting was similar.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

For some reason, you are running much larger jets.  I looked to see if I have any photos of your carb.  I don't seem to have any.  Possibly if you post a set of photos, we can figure out why you need those large jets.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 00:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Shootout

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.