Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Big Cam - Web 340b Install (Read 687 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Big Cam - Web 340b Install
Reply #45 - 12/18/19 at 10:36:22

Just a good port job,  cam, and less restrictive exhaust and intake will put you in the very high 30's at the wheel.

The LS650 suffers from a bad case of asthma, anything that you can do to improve the breathing (especially the exhaust) will reap big improvements in power.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #46 - 12/18/19 at 10:59:57

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/18/19 at 08:16:37:
A high compression piston, cams and a good porting will get you to the upper 30's. Getting your horsepower above 40 takes great attention to detail and know-how (thanks to the forum engine builders for sharing).

That’s a pretty good boost for not a lot of upgrades. Do I really need a high compression piston to run the DR cam?

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #47 - 12/18/19 at 11:00:24

Fast 650 wrote on 12/18/19 at 10:36:22:
Just a good port job,  cam, and less restrictive exhaust and intake will put you in the very high 30's at the wheel.

The LS650 suffers from a bad case of asthma, anything that you can do to improve the breathing (especially the exhaust) will reap big improvements in power.

Thank you.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #48 - 12/18/19 at 11:25:16

Dennisgb, check out DragBikeMike's thread on porting the head, here is a ton of good information in that thread. And there are gains to be had from improving the airbox and filter. On the exhaust side of things, a better flowing muffler and larger inside diameter pipe will make a world of difference too.

Go for the easy and cheap mods first, the ones that give the most bang for the buck. If you decide that you want more power, like a bigger bore, you have already taken care of those things that would need to be done to get the most out of that anyway.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #49 - 12/18/19 at 11:29:19

Fast 650 wrote on 12/18/19 at 11:25:16:
Dennisgb, check out DragBikeMike's thread on porting the head, here is a ton of good information in that thread. And there are gains to be had from improving the airbox and filter. On the exhaust side of things, a better flowing muffler and larger inside diameter pipe will make a world of difference too.

Go for the easy and cheap mods first, the ones that give the most bang for the buck. If you decide that you want more power, like a bigger bore, you have already taken care of those things that would need to be done to get the most out of that anyway.

I have a Dyna Exhaust and plan to do carb and air box upgrades.

Were can I get a larger ID pipe. I’ve searched around and can’t seem to find them.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #50 - 12/18/19 at 11:42:18

Dennisgb wrote on 12/18/19 at 11:29:19:

Were can I get a larger ID pipe. I’ve searched around and can’t seem to find them.

There are a few aftermarket companies like MAC that make larger pipes. Or you can hit an exhaust shop and have them make you a new pipe if they have a tubing bender. Another option is buy pre-bent stainless tubing from Summit Racing or JEGS and cut and weld a new pipe. For a stock or mild engine, 1.5" ID is a good size. If you are getting more serious go for 1.625" ID pipe.  1.625" ID will be 1.75" OD which will fit your Dyna perfectly so you may want to go with that size anyway.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #51 - 12/18/19 at 11:50:11

Fast 650 wrote on 12/18/19 at 11:42:18:
There are a few aftermarket companies like MAC that make larger pipes. Or you can hit an exhaust shop and have them make you a new pipe if they have a tubing bender. Another option is buy pre-bent stainless tubing from Summit Racing or JEGS and cut and weld a new pipe. For a stock or mild engine, 1.5" ID is a good size. If you are getting more serious go for 1.625" ID pipe.  1.625" ID will be 1.75" OD which will fit your Dyna perfectly so you may want to go with that size anyway.

Thanks. What’s the stock pipe ID?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #52 - 12/18/19 at 12:06:15

The stock pipe is a lie, that big 2 inch pipe has a tiny pipe inside, only about 1.3" ID. Way to small for a 650 to be able to breathe.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #53 - 12/18/19 at 16:33:19

Fast 650 wrote on 12/18/19 at 12:06:15:
The stock pipe is a lie, that big 2 inch pipe has a tiny pipe inside, only about 1.3" ID. Way to small for a 650 to be able to breathe.

Thanks again

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #54 - 12/19/19 at 02:58:21

Fast 650 wrote on 12/18/19 at 11:42:18:
Dennisgb wrote on 12/18/19 at 11:29:19:

I know there is may be a loss of torque going to a larger diameter pipe. Has some one like drag bike mike done a comparison from the 1.5 vs 1.625 pipes?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #55 - 12/19/19 at 07:58:15

Matchless G11 wrote on 12/19/19 at 02:58:21:
I know there is may be a loss of torque going to a larger diameter pipe. Has some one like drag bike mike done a comparison from the 1.5 vs 1.625 pipes?

I don't think anyone has tested 1.5 and 1.625 pipes back to back, but it shouldn't have a noticeable effect on low end torque. The available cams don't have enough overlap for pipe diameter to hurt the torque enough to feel it.  DBM is running a big 1.79" ID pipe and it hasn't had a negative effect on low speed power.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #56 - 12/31/19 at 00:12:32

That big MAC header doesn't seem to be hurting the low end with the 340b cam either.   The 340b does have a lot of overlap and the 1.79" header is working fine.  Wish I had a nice 1.62" ID header to do a comparison.  I think the 1.62" would probably work a bit better.  I could use the poor man's dyno to test it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 12/31/19 at 00:14:55

After logging another 300 miles on the 340b cam it was time for another inspection.  It has now spent a good bit of time in excess of 7500 rpm.  Nothing has exploded.  There are no horrific noises drifting out of the engine.  There or no leaks, weeps or seeps, it’s oil-tight.

The valve clearance is still right about .004” on all four valves (that’s a good sign).  Visual inspection of the cam lobes shows no indication of scoring.  The surfaces surrounding the drilled holes look fine, and the noses on the lobes also look fine.  All four valve spring retainers look good, there’s no indication that the retainers are shifting on the springs.  Everything under the valve covers looks to be normal.  The heavy-pressure RD springs aren’t causing any distress yet.

After a bit of tuning I was able to get the 4K to 7K time down to 2.85 seconds.  That was about as good as I could get it.  The 92-octane pump gas is working out great.  Not a hint of detonation.  Plug check looked fine.  Porcelain had just a hint of grey, electrodes were clean, no black specks or metal balls.

I decided to try the larger air filter.  The K&N cylindrical filter element (RD-0710) is 3.5” x 5”. That’s a little over two-times more filter area than stock.

KN_3_5_x_5_on_Elbow_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #58 - 12/31/19 at 00:18:14

The larger filter had a huge effect.  It was very difficult to get the thing to run correctly.  I spent a very long time grooming the S&S carb with the stock replacement K&N flat-panel filter, and it wasn’t easy.  So, I figured that with a bit of effort I should be able to dial it in.  Lot’s of luck with that.  This tuning job was a real handful.  Shocked

I could tell right away that the thing made a whole bunch more power, but it ran terrible.  Waaaaay too lean at first.  I started with a #60 main jet and ended up with a #68.  The pilot jet and the two air-bleeds were all over the place.  Get it cleaned up down low and it wouldn’t run up top.  Get the top squared away and you could hardly ride the thing on surface streets.  The accelerator pump was also a headache.

I eventually got the thing pretty close, but a lot rougher around the edges than it was before the filter mod.  The WOT performance is absolutely killer.  It runs from 4K to 7K in 2.65 seconds, and it’s scary how quick it blows past 8K .  Glad those RD springs are in there.  Loads & loads of mid-range torque.  Starts great.  Idles good.  Part throttle operation is acceptable but it ain’t gonna win any awards in the “seamlessly smooth” category.

I was truly amazed at how much the filter affected performance.  It begs the question; how well would the stock DR cam have run with this filter?  I plan to do a separate post on the filter setup.  Seems to me that it has the potential to make significantly more horsepower, regardless of the carburetor.  I also suspect that a more forgiving mixer like the stock Mikuni or a VM would not present such difficult tuning issues.

So, the 340b cam with RD valve springs seems to be hackin it.  Oh!  BTW, it’s loud.  Lips Sealed    

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #59 - 12/31/19 at 09:15:23

😂. It winds up to 8k in a flash doesn’t it ?
2nd gear wide open from 4-7k takes about 1.5 blinks in time on mine ... or something like that.
Just wait until you get your setup humming.  There is more grunt available.

Going to a smaller header should solve a lot of your tuning issues and you may find the elusive power you mentioned seeing.
Your symptoms sound like a bike running a straight pipe, or one too large.  

Consider:
1.5” ID pipe should be good for a 35-50 hp cylinder
1.63”ID pipe ... 45-63 hp/cylinder
1.75”ID pipe ... 60-73 hp/cylinder
(Tube info from “Headers by Ed” doc)

I did have opportunity to test a MAC header with a 1.65” ID  header side by side.  My personal experience was that the 1.75”ID MAC was a detriment to my bikes performance.  

Increase in cross sectional area as ID increases:
1.5-1.65.     17%
1.65-1.75.    15.7%
Air velocity is lost in the header as tube diameter increases.  Going from 1.75” down to 1.5” would decrease tube volume almost 35.4%.  Velocity goes up as well as efficiency.
With the increase you found by changing the intake overall efficiency improves even more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 15:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Cam - Web 340b Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.