Send Topic Print
Exhaust Temps (Read 197 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Exhaust Temps
03/03/20 at 14:32:14

I know it has been discussed/referenced in past, but just looking for an idea of the temperature of the exhaust as it leaves the head, and at the opposite end of the header pipe where it enters muffler.

Ceramic packing for exhaust is rated to about 2500 degrees, which is the main reason for the question.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Exhaust Temps
Reply #1 - 03/03/20 at 15:14:44

If you're worried about melting that... you got problems.
I had problems, I melted glass.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/04/20 at 06:28:27

Depending on the mixture (air:fuel ratio) it will be between 1,600 (very lean) and 1,100 (very rich). A well jetted engine running at a stoichiometric AFR of 14.7:1 will run 1,250 to 1,300 EGT. An AFR of 12.5 to 14.7 is good for an air cooled engine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/06/20 at 11:39:55

Hey Gary, do you happen to have a source for those exhaust temps?  Maybe a reference book or a link.  I am very curious about this topic.

Thanks, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 03/06/20 at 20:02:12

Dave,

The data comes from 40 years and thousands of hours observing and setting EGT in air cooled aircraft engines. The data above is kind of “dumbed down”.  When setting EGT, peak EGT occurs at an AFR of 14.7:1. Whether that is at 1,300 degrees F or 1,500 F doesn’t matter. What is important is you observe the cylinder that reaches peek EGT first and then set the AFR mixture based off that cylinder. Once reaching peek EGT, any change in mixture will result in a reduction of temperature. A rich mixture causes the EGT to reduce due to the cooling effect of excess fuel, while a lean mixture causes an EGT reduction due to a power reduction. What is important to know is that a reduction of 100F due to a lean mixture is different than a 100F reduction due to a rich mixture. When setting a lean cruise power setting (lean of peek) one has to carefully observe CHT to ensure that the temperature stays in the normal zone (below 470F) and certainly below the 500F redline. I typically set power at 50-100F rich of peek. This results in a CHT in the 380-420 CHT. It’s also important to know that a high EGT (above 1600) combined with a high CHT (above 460F) can cause damage to the piston.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Both Lycoming and Continental have Advisory Circulars that discuss setting power via EGT and CHT for normally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged engines.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 03/06/20 at 21:02:24

Gary, your reply is excellent, certainly not long-winded.  It is a subject that has mystified me for many years.  I know from personal experience just what a lean mixture can do.  I have managed to stick valves, burn valves, melt holes in pistons, seize pistons, and most recently pull the top off a piston.  All, I'm sure, due to lean A/F ratio.

What baffles me is my former training in A&P school and also the USAF.  I was a recip engine mechanic in the AF.  I was always instructed, just as you described in detail, that peak EGT occurs at stoichiometric, and EGT falls off either side of 14.7:1.

But all those melted parts I've accumulated over the years contradict that.  Your reply to SoC also seems to contradict the premise that EGT is lower either side (lean or rich) of 14.7: "Depending on the mixture (air:fuel ratio) it will be between 1,600 (very lean) and 1,100 (very rich)".

I'm not denying your numbers because my personal experience supports very hot stuff goin on when mixtures are north of 12.5 at WOT.  But the aviation industry couldn't possibly be wrong.

Your comment about CHT is excellent.  Are you saying that when a mixture goes lean, and as a result the EGT goes down, the CHT is going up?  Am I getting the two mixed up?  Is it the CHT that's killing the engine?

This graphic from an aircraft engine manufacturer shows the CHT & EGT tracking.  Peak CHT & EGT are right around 14.7.  What the heck am I missing here.  

EGT_vs_AF_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 03/07/20 at 05:01:43

I’m familiar with that chart. The thought is that as you move away from the ideal AFR (lean or rich), you are making less power and therefor CHT goes down. As you know, this is a subject where there is much debate. I have observed that CHT does in fact go up with a mixture that is LOP. However, with that said I typically don’t “wait to see what happens” and immediately enrich the mixture. In reality there may be a momentary increase in CHT...I don’t know.

My experimental aircraft (RV6) with high compression pistons and a ram air induction tends to run on the high side of CHT. I also run an electronic ignition and if my memory is correct I have it set to provide as much as 38 degrees BTDC at cruise power settings, much further advanced than what a mag provides at 25 BTDC fixed. There are many factors that drive high CHT, and high cylinder pressure and ignition timing are some of those, so my “normal” reading of 380 degrees on cylinder number 3 is explainable.  This engine now has 1,500 hours on it, so I have confidence in its ability to survive.

Here is a great article from GAMI (they make fuel injector nozzles) that discusses the disconnection between CHT and EGT. I have a 4 probe EGT and I have to agree, once power is set EGT isn’t a useful tool. There isn’t any data provided by EGT that CHT won’t tell you (other than mixture).

https://gami.com/articles/egt_myths.pdf

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/07/20 at 13:53:48

WOW!  What a great article.  Thanks so much for posting it.  Very useful indeed.

The article points out that EGT does not correlate with things typically associated with stress on the engine.  Examples: Ignition advance and higher compression increase stress but cause EGT to go down, while ignition retard and lower compression typically reduce stress but cause EGT to go up.  I can get into that.  A trick used on bikes with oversize turbos is to retard ignition timing for launch.  It raises the EGT dramatically and allows the turbo to spool up when the engine is unloaded, so the thing is really spinnin when you drop the hammer.

I like that he stresses CHT over EGT.  It really does make more sense to monitor the CHT since it has a direct correlation to what's goin on in the cylinder.

Why does he say "near or just rich of peak EGT is the worst place to operate the engine"?

Gary, I would really appreciate your opinion on this.  Is it possible that Figure 4 has an error?  In Figure 4, cylinder 3 is labeled as the "richest" cylinder, while cylinder 1 is labeled as the "leanest" cylinder.  But the graph shows cylinder 3 at about 13.7 GPH (peak EGT), while cylinder 1 is about 14.1 GPH (peak EGT).  Shouldn't cylinder 3 be the leanest?  That would also seem to correlate with the EGT, where cylinder 3 is the hottest and cylinder 1 is the coolest.

Excellent article.  Definitely a keeper.  Thanks again.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 03/08/20 at 07:46:09

Dave,

It isn't labeled "richest", it's labeled "richest cylinder peak EGT". What that graph is depicting is the lack of relationship between EGT and fuel flow (shown in GPH). Cylinder #3 has the highest EGT, yet the lowest FF at peak EGT.

On a multi-cylinder carburated engine it is virtually impossible to get even fuel flows across all cylinders. FI is able to meter an even distribution of fuel, EFI is able to compensate for other variations within each cylinder. Even so, all cylinders may have a different EGT.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 03/08/20 at 19:58:08

I agree, cylinder #3 does have the highest EGT and does have the lowest fuel flow.  Doesn't the fact that it has the lowest fuel flow make it the leanest cylinder peak EGT, not the "richest cylinder peak EGT"?  Figure 4 identifies cylinder 3 as the "richest cylinder peak EGT" but it has the lowest fuel flow, about 13.7 GPH.  In contrast, #1 fuel flow is about 14.1 GPH, which best as I can tell would be considered richer than #3.

No disrespect intended Gary.  I'm asking the question because I don't understand and it seems to me you have much more experience on this topic than I do.  I think we have some sort of communication disconnect.  I want to understand that graph.  I think you can help me.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 03/09/20 at 06:36:10

So there's no way to know which cylinder is leanest. We know the fuel flow....but we don't know the volume of air. Without both figures it's impossible to tell. If we knew the CHT that might give insite. Might.

So we have been discussing engines that run a few clicks either side of  stoichiometric. But if you look at a lean-burn engine, engines that operate at an AFR up to 32:1 they achieve this with VVT that reduces compression and by retarding the timing. Even Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI), engines that rely on compression for ignition, they too run at a very lean AFR. These engines are able to run at lean AFR's without destruction of pistons and valves. The HCCI has a piston with a ridge that fits into an area on the cylinder head where all ignition occurs. Expansion happens in this ridge area first and by the time the piston moves down to reveal the rest of the piston, head and valves, the charge has cooled to the point that it isn't catastrophic, and expansion can continue.

So getting back to our dumb air-cooled and carburated engines, they can only handle so much cylinder pressure and ignition advance. They rely on excess fuel for cooling, and running lean deprives them of the cooling, thusly causing damage at the hottest points of the combustion chamber. The lean mixture isn't too hot (it's cooler than stoichiometric)...it just doesn't provide adequate cooling.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 03/10/20 at 17:10:18

Gary,

I’m lovin your comment: “The lean mixture isn't too hot (it's cooler than stoichiometric)...it just doesn't provide adequate cooling.”

That’s very clear.  Nice choice of words.  I agree.

I guess I’m not gonna be able to nail you down on that Figure 4 issue.  I believe it’s erroneous.   I reached out to the author, and also to a friend of mine who was the service supervisor at Crown Air.  I’m very curious about it.  I think it should look like this.  

EGT_Article_Fig_4_Markup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 03/10/20 at 17:15:53

I ordered a CHT gage.  It won’t fit the spark plug configuration on the LS.  I was thinking that the 8mm stud just below the exhaust port might be a good place to install the sensor.  I have lapped three LS heads and each one had a definite depression in the sealing surface located on the underside of the exhaust port.  One actually had a significant divot where the fire ring on the head gasket had sunk into the aluminum.  I suspect it got so hot that the aluminum started going plastic.  On my recent meltdown, I found the nut on the 8mm stud finger tight.  I had checked that fastener for tightness just shortly before I had the meltdown.  To me, this area seems to be one of the hottest locations on the upper regions of the engine.  I know its not exactly on the cylinder head, but its really close.  It must be very close to the same temp as the head in that area.

Any of you have any thoughts on that sensor placement?

Here’s a look at the area of the sealing surface after quite a bit of lapping.

Sealing_Surface_Low_Spot_3_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 03/10/20 at 19:39:55

Ive seen CHT’s that are washers that go between the head and the spark plug. I’ve heard that they are fairly accurate too.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 03/11/20 at 12:03:49

The one I ordered is a TrailTech.  It uses the washer under the spark plug sensor.  Unfortunately, the LS650 head has this tight counterbore in way of the spark plug.  It looks to me like it would be next to impossible to install the special sensing washer without doing some major surgery around the plug counterbore in the head.  The TrailTech guidance says it can also be installed under a fastener (nut or bolt).

If I use that 8mm stud, I can get a feel for the temperature extremes and how it reacts to various tuning changes in that region of the cylinder/head, then move the sensor to the rear 8mm stud, or possibly under a head nut.  Seems like it would be pretty flexible.  Right now, I'm not too keen on disturbing any of the 9mm head nuts.

I believe Dave has one of these installed under his right-rear head nut.  I think he said that the highest temp he has observed is around 300F.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:22:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Temps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.