Send Topic Print
head retorque (Read 108 times)
1slug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

head retorque
03/18/20 at 19:35:36

my buddy just tried to remove his head cover to re-torque the nuts on his  2015 with 4000 on it  and he cant get it  off.because there is not enuf room.frame to motor .do we have to remove the motor to re-torque the cyl nuts. anyone having this problem.dont want to go b\deep .into my bike and have same problem.because that would really.will enuf said on that. thanks

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: head retorque
Reply #1 - 03/18/20 at 20:01:11

Did you do engine work?  Ive heard of torque the bolts then checking them after engine heat up.  But re-torquing for no reason?  Its not usually like an add grease or change oil type of thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #2 - 03/18/20 at 20:33:31

I believe torquing the head bolts is like maintenance just like checking the valve lash.
You can get the valve cover off with the motor still in frame but it's tight.
Most bikes with head plug leaks are due to the mechanic not sealing the 1 head plug cover correctly, make sure to seal yours correctly

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/18/20 at 22:00:49

SpamyToo wrote on 03/18/20 at 20:01:11:
Did you do engine work?  Ive heard of torque the bolts then checking them after engine heat up.  But re-torquing for no reason?  Its not usually like an add grease or change oil type of thing.

It's not for no reason, they stretch.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 03/18/20 at 22:10:35

There really is no need to ,haven't touched mine in 24 years , yes the Book says to but it's there so you'll take it to the dealership , they might check your compression and if it's with in spec won't do it either ,but probably charge you for it. those bolts are only torqued to 21-24 lbs  treat it as one of those things that" if it's not broke don't fix it" .  
  sooner or later you'll have the headplug leak ,and oil will run across the front fins right on level with the head and cylinder newbies mistake this is a head gasket leak,it's not, but you will have to replace the plug and put sealent around it ,something the factory never has done
if your buddy can't get the cap off is it because the long center bolt doesn't have enough room to come out?. just remove the cap with the bolt in it, and you'll have to insert it in the cap again as you reinstall it. Some frames welded at the factory come out larger or smaller , if he can't get the cap off , he can pull thr lower motor casing bolts ( the ones that hold the front pegs ) that will allow the motor to swing down between the lower frame rails giving him the extra room he needs.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #5 - 03/18/20 at 22:15:01

Isnt that what the torque is, a measured amount of bolt tightening that equates to a bolt stretching.

Maybe Ive just never had a bike that long (<40k mi), but I only torque head bolts a couple of times, once installed and then check after the engine has heated up a few cycles.  If I do engine work I replace the bolts with new ones and start over again.

I dont think they check engine bolt torque for tune ups on cars/trucks at any point, do they?

« Last Edit: 03/19/20 at 00:09:21 by SpamyToo »  
WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 03/18/20 at 23:03:26

I think if you only go around twice and the torque is in spec , that's the best you're going to do without stretching the bolts ,replacement might be overkill, unless the bolts bolt bottom out inside the cap nut and you can't reach the targeted torque their probably OK to reuse. I'd just be sure to replace the copper sealing washers you use under the nuts,if their not beat you could anneal them and use them over again as well

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/19/20 at 03:05:06

The all inclusive Clymer manual actually has a statement that indicates some LS650s require engine removal to get the head cover off.  It's one of those sort of statements that implies that the condition is rare but sometimes you encounter one where the tolerances stack up against you.

The cat's outa the bag now.  The head cover joint has been disturbed and it must come off to clean and re-seal.  Batman's suggestion about pulling some mount bolts to allow the engine to drop a bit sounds good to me.  You might wanna drop the exhaust system first so it doesn't hang up the engine.

Regarding the studs, this old post may be informative.  I personally would not invade my head cover just to reef on the head nuts unless there was good reason (like a leak).  You will see from the old post that what you apply to the threads and washers makes a huge difference in stress.  If you get into retorquing the nuts, make sure the threads and washers are lubricated with clean oil.  If you decide to use a sealant on the washers, don't use silicone sealant.  You will see why when you review the old post.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1576269113/12#12

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/19/20 at 04:32:11

You can't just "re-torque" the head by putting a torque wrench on and pulling on the handle.  The nuts corrode a bit and take a "set", and it takes a lot of muscle to get them to break loose.

To properly torque the nuts to need to remove them and clean up the threads, and apply new anti-sieze or sealer to the threads and nuts.  Doing so is also a place for a potential new oil leak.  Drag Bike Mike did a thread on the proper way to get the nuts sealed.

I really would just leave the nuts alone and not bother trying to retorque them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/19/20 at 05:07:05

The head cover comes off if you leave that long bolt that cant lift out in it and lift the head cover with that bolt still attached. Once you have the head cover moved enough to the left, the long bolt that wont come out will come out and you can take the cover off quite easily.

Alternatively You could cut off that bolt and install a slightly longer bolt but with 2 jam nuts on top. That way you can tighten it to spec, and when you need to take that bolt out next time undo the lower jam nut which will get it out of the cyl. Then looses the jam nuts against each other and remove them, and that way it will come out and the head cover comes out easier.

Also - the plug above the exhaust stud is defective both the old hollow version and the new solid version are. They do not seal up. I installed the old seal with a hand made solid aluminum insert and it works a lot lot better, but you could try a versiplug. A plug for vers here - well deserved.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 03/19/20 at 10:54:43

I too am in the camp of if there's no compression leak, leave the head bolts alone. And if there is a compression leak, it's probably not because of loose head bolts, it's usually a blown gasket.

What is it that your buddy is trying to correct 1Sulg? If compression seems to be low, a leak-down test is in order, not tightening bolts. You're more likely to snap a torqued head bolt than to move it to a tighter position.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 03/19/20 at 12:28:55

Removing the head cover is important - to install the versiplug LOL.
While you're in there - Just Torquemada … you cant Torquemata anything y'know.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 03/19/20 at 19:58:23

When stuffs working
And you decide to fix it
The best you can hope for is
Stuff still works..
I bought one new
Sold it with twenty thousand miles on it
Never touched head bolts

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 03/19/20 at 21:37:32

My bike has 10K on it. I have never removed the head cover and I have no intention of doing so unless it is necessary for an oil leak etc.

The dealer has not seen it since I picked it up and never will. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
1slug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/20/20 at 16:00:06

thanks all .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home