Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Big Cam - Web 340b Install (Read 687 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Cam - Web 340b Install
Reply #75 - 01/15/20 at 00:06:43

Sometimes it's the simple stuff.

I installed the stock carburetor.  Problem solved.  No more irritating little glitch at light load.  In the process of setting up the stock carb for the modified engine, I reviewed some articles on the Mikuni CV.  I found a pretty good rundown from an outfit called Factory Pro.  They use the float level to tune light load conditions.  I found that interesting.

Since it ran fine with the stock carburetor, I figured my problem must be the S&S carburetor.  Its not the exhaust header or the new hi-flo air filter.  That float level thing kept grinding at me.  I checked the level several times.  It was exactly on the S&S spec, but that spec is for a big V-twin.  I'm runnin it on a 40 inch single.  

I readjusted the float level to 1/16" above the S&S spec.  End of problem.  Now it responded well to tuning and in no time flat it was runnin better than ever.  Cool

I am amazed at how well the thing responded to such a minor adjustment.  It makes perfect sense.  The idle & transition circuits were designed for a much larger engine that pulls a lot more manifold vacuum.  The little Savage mill with the big cam just didn't have the oomph to lift that fuel up into the low speed circuit when the throttle plate was in the final stage of transition.  Raise the fuel level and it doesn't have to lift as far.

If you are interested in a pretty good step-by-step for tuning the stock Mikuni CV, check out this Factory Pro link.  It's got some good stuff in there.  You learn something new every day.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_...

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #76 - 01/15/20 at 03:14:38

Excellent!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #77 - 01/16/20 at 15:56:10

Or, the hi flow filter offered less resistance, so there was less vacuum in the carb body. Years ago I had a 550 Honda in my Mcy maintenance class with a K+N filter and no airbox lid. Ran like crap. Covered half the hole that used to be the airbox lid with my hand and magically the bike revved clean.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #78 - 01/16/20 at 22:36:10

Just imagine how nice it would have run if you fattened up the mixture to accommodate the increased airflow instead of strangling the poor thing. Lips Sealed

I believe you are absolutely right.  That puny flat-panel K&N I was running was sort of acting a bit like a choke.  Gave it just enough vacuum to pull the fuel through the slow speed circuit.  Like I said, I ain't never goin back to that small filter.  It ran good with the small filter, but the improvement with the big filter was so dramatic that there was no turnin back.  I had to make that carb work right with the big filter.

It was worth all the effort. Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #79 - 01/17/20 at 04:33:46

Glad it worked out!
So, on the 550, we did install larger jets. I was just trying to show the kiddies the effect of intake resistance on fuel pickup.
Looking forward to another dyno run for your bike!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #80 - 03/20/20 at 03:09:27

Time for an update.

On SuperBowl Sunday I got careless with some testing and melted my piston.  Runnin a little too lean.  It had to come apart to repair the piston, so it gave me the opportunity to take a hard look at the cam, rockers, springs and retainers.  Mileage was 6764 so the 340b had about 1134 miles on it.

The cam looked fine.  No ugly stuff goin on.  It seems to be handling the heavy springs just fine.

340b_Cam_6764_Miles_3_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 03/20/20 at 03:10:09

The rocker arms also looked fine, and the rocker shafts were oiling good.

Rocker_Wear_6764_Miles_340b_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #82 - 03/20/20 at 03:11:02

The RD valve springs load tested right on the spec (70 lbs on the seat and 190 lbs at .450” lift).  They are holding up well.

But the stock spring retainers looked unusual.  After looking closer I noticed groupings of small pits or craters, possibly cracks or fretting of some sort.

Cracked_Retainer_5_4_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #83 - 03/20/20 at 03:12:13

I reached out on the forum to see if anyone else had seen retainers like this.  No one had seen it.  I assumed that the stock retainers can’t handle the high-pressure springs and figured I would have to put it back together with the stock valve springs.  That would require a cam with less lift, so I decided to reassemble with the stock DR650 cam.

I needed another set of retainers, so I pulled down my original stock head with the intent of cannibalizing the retainers off that.  It only has several thousand miles on it.  Low and behold those retainers exhibited the same fretting/pitting/cracking (whatever it might be).

I ordered another set of retainers, but they were on super backorder.  And to be honest, I really didn’t want to run the stock retainers, they looked sketchy for this application.  Now what?

I tried a set of valves for a 1995 DR650.  The DR650 valves are identical to the stock LS650 valves except the cotter groove is situated lower on the stem.  The RD titanium retainers fit just right on the DR valves.  Now I could put it back together with the 340b cam.

DR_Valve_vs_LS_Valve_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #84 - 03/20/20 at 03:12:59

The DR valves with RD spring retainers required quite a bit of shimming to reestablish correct spring height.  As a result, the spring retainers interfered with guide seal installation, so the spring seats had to be trimmed.  There must be a gap between the spring seat and the guide seal.  Valve travel with the RD retainers and cotters was fine.

Guide_Seal_vs_Spring_Seat_Clearance_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #85 - 03/20/20 at 03:13:54

This shows a spring seat after trimming next to a stock spring seat.

Spring_Seats_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 03/20/20 at 03:14:37

5/16” x 1-1/4 fender washers make perfect shims.  Just drill out the washer to fit over the guide.  The big chamfer is for the circlip on the guide.  Two shims (.066 .108” total) under each spring seat restored the spring installed height to 1.3”.
« Last Edit: 03/21/20 at 12:50:02 by DragBikeMike »  

Spring_Shims_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #87 - 03/20/20 at 03:15:19

Everything looks in order.  The valve tips are no longer situated below the top edge of the cotters.

RD_Retainers__Keepers_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #88 - 03/20/20 at 03:17:12

I reassembled the engine with a stock cylinder and Wiseco piston instead of the tight quench setup (short cylinder with flat-top piston).    Cam timing is at the factory marks (no longer retarded 5°).

The engine is back in business and running pretty good.  I’m working on a post that compares performance between the tight quench setup and the Wiseco pop-top.  It’s interesting.

Sure wish I knew what’s up with the stock spring retainers.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 00:14:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Cam - Web 340b Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.