Events for 2020 (Read 2629 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #195 - 05/08/20 at 12:25:07

Yep, I have heard these new o-ring chains are pretty good but you just can't beat the virtually zero maintenance belt drive. I have thought about putting some money into the S-40 for the extra power but then I think I would just be better off with a more modern bike. With the economic uncertainty caused by the corona virus I doubt another bike is my near future. The CB500 is a bike I have looked at a good bit on youtube. It is appealing.

The one bike that always seems to be available at a really reasonable price is the Ninja 500. Tubeless tires, good power, but chain drive and carbureted.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #196 - 05/08/20 at 18:58:21

Hay ?   Isn't the Honda CB500 motor the same as the Rebel 500 ?   Fuel injected ?

Any modern 500 motor is going to be "Enough" HP. I would think ?  

I was looking at the W800 for a while .   Come to find out , its like the parallel  twins of old !    Both pistons run up and down together and take turns having power strokes.  Well on first glance this might look like a good idea , but it ain't .

What really happens is :   When the piston get to the top or bottom ... it STOPS .   Then speeds up again .   Well , that causes a lot of vibration and when both pistons do it at the same time ... its more than twice as bad !

So , now modern motors use a 270 degree crank so while one piston is stopped the other is at max speed .   So as one is beginning to slow for the end of the stroke the other one is needing to speed up from the top or bottom ... works good for both of them .  It gives all that energy somewhere to go besides to your butt and handle bar ends !   Grin

Well , thats what wrong with the W800 .  But , I wonder how the other twins are ???  Huh

So yea , Royal Enfield  has figured that 270 degree stuff out and is fuel injected too .   They seem to have their gears all lined up as good as any in the world !   Now if they can get on board with loosing the inter-tubes then 48 HP is enough for a 400# machine  !!!    Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/08/20 at 20:38:49 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #197 - 05/09/20 at 03:51:52

I wouldn't discard an engine because of the duration of the crank.....you need to ride a bike to see what it feels like.  The Honda 500 engines in the Rebel and CB500's are the same engine, and they are 180 degree cranks where one piston is going up while the other is going down...they have a single balance shaft.  The Kawasaki Vulcan S has a 180 degree crank and a single counter balance shaft.  The BMW F800 series has a Rotax engine that is a 360 crank where both pistons go up/down at the same time - the engine has a counterweight and connecting rod that moves opposite the pistons to quell vibrations.  The Kawasaki W800 is a 360 degree crank duration and there is a single counterbalance shaft in the engine.  The new Triumph engines are 360 degree cranks and they have a pair of counterbalance shafts.  The new Royal Enfield 650 has a 270 degree crank with a single counterbalance shaft.

All modern engines vibrate far less than the old twins - which only had counterweight on the crank to reduce vibration.  I read that a lot of the choice for the firing order is chosen to get the correct "sound" by some manufacturers.....BMW wanted their 800 parallel twins to sound like their boxer motors, Triumph wanted their modern bikes to sound like the old ones.  Each company has engineered their bikes to reduce vibrations in a way that works with their engine.....modern bikes don't shake very much.

The choice between the Honda CB500F and the 500 Rebel really have more to do with your style of riding than price or engineering as they both have the same engine.  The Rebel is a cruiser seating style and has a 3 gallon tank and a single disc front brake....the CB500F is a naked sport touring bike with a 4.5 gallon tank and twin front discs.

I find that I am more comfortable on a bike with a standard seating position where my legs are underneath me - not out front in the cruiser seating position.  On a cruiser it feels like I have more weight on my rear end as my legs are not being supported by pegs underneath me, and my tail bone area gets tired sooner.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #198 - 05/09/20 at 07:46:17

sound like their boxer motors  

So the Boxer motor has two crank-shaft journals  @ 180 degrees, where the "V" motors have one .  

In reading bike reviews is where I got the W-800 retained some "Old School" vibration .   I haven't ridden one , but my local shop has one of the Standard W-800 models for $9,999 plus shipping , prep , and tax .  They have a "Cafe" version for $6,999 / plus the other stuff  Roll Eyes.   They are nice to look at --- but they have spokes  Sad , they have chain  Sad and they have a way to high price tag !   What they don't have is the only good part about them !  There is no cam-chain !     Smiley
-
Those over-head cam "V-Twins" have Two Cam Chains  Sad .    I understand the appeal of the Parallel Twin over other engines , at least where over-head cam is considered.  

Maybe the (for me) the ideal thing would be gear driven cam and push-rods.   but that might take me back to a 1967 Triumph ???  Grin  
But I thought they had flimsy crankshafts ...  Smiley

I might just buy a Moto Guzzi !   with a big fuel tank ?   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #199 - 05/25/20 at 07:09:12

OK....I am up for another trip between now and the end of June.  I don't need a lot of advanced notice - so any weekend the weather cooperates is fine with me.

Trips to Robbinsville, Suches, Deals Gap, Kickstand Lodge, Copperhead Lodge, Two Wheel Inn, Blueridge Motorcycle Campground, etc. are all possible.

Restaurants, campgrounds and hotels are all starting to open up again.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #200 - 05/25/20 at 12:19:02

Hay , I haven't been on the park-way in a long time !     Any of the places you mentioned sound good .   It's kind of a "No Loose" situation the way I see it.

I might need to wear the edges off my Savage tires this next time.   Wink

I'll get my hay done then I'll be ready !  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #201 - 05/25/20 at 17:52:50

MM....would you be willing to do Suches again?  Stew can come this time, and since he has to drive up on Friday night after work and has to leave on Sunday so he can be back to work on Monday - it is good if we can ride somewhere close to him.

I am just getting to learn the Suches roads well and learn some nice roads that are light on traffick (Dial Road, Aska Road), and we have can ride up toward Hiawasee, and your brother Kent can come and shame us with his ability to ride a Harley chopper at sport bike speeds.

The weather for the middle 3 weeks of June looks very promising.

We can pick a weekend and if the weather turns out scary - we can move it to the next week.

Want to tentatively try for June 5,6 & 7? (I will likely arrive on the 4th).

accuweather.PNG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #202 - 05/25/20 at 20:40:38

If the weather will give me 5 days in a roll of dry weather I'll get the hay done and out of the way.   Then I'm FREE !!! for a while !  Smiley  

Be good to see Stew again .   I'll bring the Savage next time I think ?  Undecided

Unless Stew is showing up on a New Ninja !  

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #203 - 05/26/20 at 08:09:15

No new Ninja  Angry.  Seriously, since putting the bikes away after Barber's in October I have only been on the bikes just a handful of times. Finally got the big house remodel projects finished late March, then life hit us hard losing Sarah and my mind hasn't been right to be out riding. Hoping I will be all good (mentally) and this will be some good therapy to get out and about for the weekend.

Not sure of Bailey will come this time.  If just me, I'll be on the Savage.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #204 - 05/26/20 at 14:04:27

stewmills wrote on 05/26/20 at 08:09:15:
Hoping I will be all good (mentally) and this will be some good therapy to get out and about for the weekend.

I dunno' how many people would consider hanging out with me and MM as good therapy? Huh

So lets plan on the June 4-8 or somewhere within those dates.....I may show up a day early or stay a day or two later (depends on weather).

Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #205 - 05/26/20 at 14:56:00

Smiley
me

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #206 - 05/26/20 at 21:28:53

Versey , I've got a spare room if you want it for a few days ?   Smiley

I'm thinking ride from here to Suches Friday , and ride back Sunday after breakfast .   Its only about 4 hours with 2 of the hours on the super-slab or 5 hours on the two lane roads.   There's not much way to cut all the interstate out , but it might be better to go through Chattanooga on I-24 + I-75 anyway (30 minutes).  

I took the 25 tooth pulley off and made my speedometer right again so the 75 mph  stuff ain't like it used to be.  
But !
Third gear still runs up to 60+ mph in a nice way , I've still got the 16 inch rear wheel on it.  Wink
Now 55 mph on the speedo is 58 mph on the Garmin , so that's close enough !   (6% built-in speeding).

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #207 - 05/27/20 at 10:02:06

MM:

When you come in on Friday - come into Chatsworth and I will meet you there - and we can ride over the Mountain on 52......that was a nice road and takes us into Elliay.  From there we can go up to Aska Road and Dial Road to get to Suches........we can even take a side trip on Snake Nation Road if you want!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #208 - 05/27/20 at 10:17:41

If I connect with yall in Suches, what are the sleeping arrangements? I don't think I want to fool with a tent, and I have the back seats out of my truck and I can easily curl up there for the night when it is time to turn in. I'm fine paying a camping fee for my big white 4DR tent.  

If yall are both biking in and that makes it easier for no one to have to pack a large tent, that is all good with me.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #209 - 05/27/20 at 11:18:04

Stew , we are still "Social Distancing" in different tents but in one campsite.    I've got one you might like ( I want to fool with a tent ) it opens like an umbrella , claimed to sleep two but that means one and a back-pack !

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 04:03:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.