badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #465 - 12/21/20 at 08:47:45

I used oil hardening drill rod heated cherry red on a firebrick and pushed into old motor oil, works so far.
The first try was 7000 series stainless and that was the one that mushroomed.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #466 - 12/21/20 at 12:37:33

oil hardening drill rod heated cherry red on a firebrick and pushed into old motor oil,

I just went to measure my balls  Huh

The only ones I have are  7mm (too big for the hole)  , ye - I wish that was a common problem for me .... but .... it is , what it is !  Smiley

I'm going with the drill bit blank too.   After I get the right length I'll harden it .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #467 - 12/23/20 at 22:48:03

Good news !   Smiley

MY parts came in .    I used a piece of a 12" long / 1/4" drill bit (made for Steel cutting / not wood) to make a new push rod.    I was aiming for 48mm but hit 47.8mm after polishing the ends with 1000 grit paper.   Before the polishing I oil quenched it 5 times from bright cherry red to make it take some more carbon  , then tempered it a touch to make the brittle go away.    Its black steel so its hard to tell where the nice straw color would have shown , but I think I got close going from past experiences.

So

I put a piece of tape to mark where the outside arm would be for a 90deg. push on the rod.    
Then tried the over-size length of  rod ( cutting it down little at a time) till the swing of the outside arm started pushing about at 75 degrees.
After a thin layer of form-a-gasket it should be maybe 80-82 deg. to start pushing. ?  
Anyway , it will be closer than the 45.5mm rod that was in there !   Smiley

I should take a picture of the chain adjuster to show ya'll , Soon as it warms a little down in the shop.  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #468 - 12/24/20 at 06:24:35

MMRanch, This pushrod is for the Savage or the Guzzi?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #469 - 12/24/20 at 09:15:29

Carl your right , having two bikes with similar problems is just to much.  I'll be taking the Guzzi to the shop after the New Year.  

The Savage is ... Soo Simple, I'm doing it now.   Next week when the weather warms up.    A half dried layer of ultra grey form a gasket ,  Then the lowest tork setting on my battery drill/nut driver ... Wait a hour ... Then tork it up and finish re-assembly. 🤗
And the easy one will be done !  🙂

I feel really SILLY for not thinking of harding the push rod , or making sure it was at the best push angle after all those measurements to discover the real clutch pack problem last year (or was that the year before ? )  Huh

« Last Edit: 01/08/21 at 19:16:12 by MMRanch »  

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #470 - 01/07/21 at 18:55:54

I really believe that lesser of a spring is helping my cam chain to go like the Energizer Rabbit !

This chain has about 50,000 miles on it already .    Looks like its waiting on 50,000 more !  

Jan2021CamAdjuster.jpg

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 00:45:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.