Events for 2020 (Read 2629 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #225 - 06/03/20 at 20:55:21

After 28 hours of Cutting , Raking , Rolling and then Hauling it to the barn , I've got 76 new bales of hay in the dry .

Its time to take a ride !     Smiley      Weather permitting that is ???

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #226 - 06/04/20 at 03:48:45

I am headed south......not sure if I am headed toward Suches which has a rainy forecast for today - or to Robbinsville which has a much better forecast for the next few days.

I don't need to make a decision until I get to Alcoa to turn off the interstate, which will be around noon today.  If I go to Robbinsville it will be the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah.

MM/Stew:  Call me to find out where I am before you leave.....if the weather is good I will stay as the Saturday/Sunday/Monday forecast is pretty good and I can just go home on Monday - if it turns out crappy and you aren't coming I will likely go home.  Maybe I will stay at Mo's for Thursday/Friday and then go to Suches for Sat/Sun.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #227 - 06/04/20 at 06:35:07

OK !

Stew , I'm leaving Friday morning and will go to Suches , If you bring fire wood I'll stay in the campground , but if ya don't then I'll stay in the parking lot where Dave parks .   Either way its really no trouble to bring an extra tent for ya .   I also could have it set-up for ya ... but  where   to set up ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #228 - 06/04/20 at 10:54:21

I am at the Kickstand Lodge - weather is great!

Chance of showers - not seen any yet.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #229 - 06/04/20 at 12:13:04

Well Dave , I haven't heard a peep of of Stew ?   If he has a change of plans then I could just come to the Kick-Stand-Lodge ... ?  

Or Not ?  

Its just pouring RAIN here ...  spot shower ?

I'm in the process of packing for a weekend on the Savage  Smiley  ...  but not sure where I'm going in the morning ?   Grin

I recon I'm just going for  a RIDE ?  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #230 - 06/04/20 at 18:31:34

I headed north out of the Kickstand on 28 and got to Deals Gap without coming up on a single car!  With that kind of luck I figured I better keep going and I headed up the Dragon, and I was just coming up on a pickup truck when traffic came to a stop about 6 miles in.  A fellow came back and said that it would likely take 2 hours to clean up the wreck - so I turned around and when I got to Deals Gap I turned right on 129.  I stopped at the little store/gas station, and the owner said he heard that wreck had a fatality!  He told me about a nice scenic road that goes up over the mountain and connects with 28 about where the Marina is - so I took that.  I should have just kept going south on 129 - as I got into a rain shower that lasted about 4 miles.  Once back on 28 the roads became dry and there was no rain at the Kickstand, and all the bikes coming in from the south were dry.  It is so hard to anticipate and avoid these rains showers, as the roads are often in the valleys and the sky is shrouded by trees - you can't see the dark clouds coming or which direction to go to get out of them......I can remember one year Oldfeller and I would pull over and let the storm pass, then we would ride right back into it!

Tomorrow the day starts dry - but rain chances increase as the afternoon passes.  I am meeting MM in Tellico Plains at 2 - there is a very good chance we will get wet on the way back to the Kickstand Lodge.

Saturday and Sunday the rain chances are much less and we will likely stay dry.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #231 - 06/06/20 at 05:00:54

MM and I were able to meet in Tellico Plains yesterday - we got into town within minutes of each other.  We had a nice ride back to Kickstand, we chose not to ride on the Cherohala Skyway as there were dark clouds and damp roads on the mountain ( I rode through them on the way to Tellico Plains).

We are headed back to Lynchburg today........MM is having trouble with his "rear end"!

Once home we will turn around and ride back to the Kickstand.....MM can tell you about his affliction!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Events for 2020/
Reply #232 - 06/08/20 at 12:21:27

I got back home about 13:30 Monday with no more issues ... more about the rear end problem later ... but

Stew can/would you send me that extra rear pulley ?   If so I'll PM ya with details  /  or PM me with details (I'll be glad to have it either way)  ...  other wise I need to go look on Ebay ?  

I got a few pictures but not many , it was too ruff keeping up with Dave to operate the camera at the same time !  

A Story or two also after I get adjusted to being home again .  Smiley

stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #233 - 06/08/20 at 14:36:03

Sorry...I had to take care of some family things this weekend.

I'll get the pulley in the mail tomorrow or Wed. Yours is so worn and sharp it looks like a round food processor blade!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #234 - 06/08/20 at 18:14:48

We missed you Stew - we rode some of our favorite roads on Sunday....Canada Road, three sections of 28 - south of Deals Gap and south of Highland and north of Franklin, Wayah Road.  On Saturday we rode the Dragon, 39 from NC to TN, and the Cherohala Skyway at sunset (pretty darn buggy).

Hard to know how many curves we rounded over the weekend - but we went looking for the curviest roads we could find!

Happiness is a scuffy tire!

IMG_5899.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #235 - 06/08/20 at 18:18:22

I mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread....So I have copied it here:

Well I can see you are all concerned about Mike and his rear end.

When we got to the Kickstand and were sitting around, I noticed that MM's back pulley was worn out.  His belt was fine - but the teeth were worn down and were 68 little razor blades.  Knowing that we ride hard while we are here, we decided to take his Savage home yesterday and trade it for one of his Guzzi's.

We left yesterday morning before 9 to ride to Lynchburg - we took back roads and rode 240 miles and didn't get to his house until after 3 PM!

We came home on the interstate and got to Tellico Plain around 7:30, adn rode the Cherohala Skyway in the setting sun......the bugs were there to meet us!

We got to the campground just before 10PM!  We rode 484 miles!

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/IMG_5890.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #236 - 06/08/20 at 21:03:34

Wow !
I just "expanded" that picture and looked at the top tooth really good .   It like 96.5% bottom then rising up to a sharp edge then falling to another really wide bottom .    

I'll send a better picture after I get it off , with a white piece of paper to show contrast.

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #237 - 06/12/20 at 07:31:00

After a long awaited removal period the infamous Pulley makes itself know to all !  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1591971800/0#0

Really , but here is a picture for the Cafe too .  Smiley

rear_pulley_001.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #238 - 06/15/20 at 22:23:18

MM, how many belts did you wear out with that pulley before getting to this stage?   I know you swap stuff around between your bikes as you work on keeping one going ...... so this is a fair question.

I am just mildly curious because nobody has ever noted the aluminum rear pulley itself as being the "weakest part" before.

So far the shaft splines on the steel engine drive pulley shaft are the #1 weak item of the belt drive system.  We should all pack our engine splines with RTV red gasket stuff from our favorite gasket fixer stuff to keep our splines from bashing back & forth so freely and to LUBRICATE the splines with a stiff "solid lubricant" that is long term durable.  

We also need to check the splines for wear to and re-tighten the spline nut with fresh locktite every new tire we put on our Savages.

The main drive belt gets frayed noticeably when it gets worn, so it isn't a hidden wear item at all, it is easy to spot a drive belt that is getting ready to go.

So, knowing how many belts you went through gives folks an idea of how long (approximately how many miles) it takes to wear out the Savage belt system.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #239 - 06/16/20 at 07:51:39

So far the shaft splines on the steel engine drive pulley shaft are the #1 weak item of the belt drive system.  

You remember that was the weak link on the 1200cc Sportster primary drive.
I believe the tapered splines system would be a lot stronger but I suspect it might cost more to make ?

At the time of that trip to Lancer's house I had really long shocks on my Savage and had the rear loaded with luggage.   So the swing-arm bounced up to center a few times .   Well , I didn't have my belt loose enough and the belt got "pulled tight" a couple times.   After I got home I noticed a few belt teeth were missing ... so I put my spare belt on and learned "how to tighten the belt to max swing-arm length.

The old belt wasn't worn ... but now I wonder ??? Did the pulley get damaged somehow ?   I'm sure being stretched to tight didn't help the bearings any either , so maybe 4 bounces of "too tight" at 70mph  is the only thing out of normal that has happened.    

Neither belt has any sign of wear , only the rear aluminum pulley.

I also wonder if "Road-Grit" imbedded into the surface of the belt might have a "Sand-paper" effect ?    I'll be washing my belt every-time I wash my bike from now on !   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 04:20:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.