MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #180 - 05/05/20 at 13:23:58

Another interesting thing :

So , Dave and I was on that dirt road getting dirty.   Well the up hill was over and there was a down hill for mile after mile  .   Idling along down hill , for a long time in first gear trying not to stir-up a dust ball ... my check engine light comes on  ???  Embarrassed

Apparently , burning air in the cylinders with out the cooling effect of the injectors adding some gas makes for a HOT SITUATION !  Huh    I put it in Neutral (motor off) and rode the brake instead of idling the motor for the next 45 minutes to the Ranger Station.   We had no idea how far the Range Station was either .

The light stayed on till this morning when I went out to the carport and hooked  up the bike to my computer and got the right program running .  

That's when it occurred to me :   I've never had to do this with the Savage !  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #181 - 05/05/20 at 15:14:05

Wow, I would never have thought that could happen. I'm glad you got it figured out.

And thanks for the advise on the oil leak. I am planning to do some work on the bike within the next few weeks so I will see if those head bolts are loose at that time.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #182 - 05/05/20 at 15:27:20

OK....time for a few photos.

My home for the weekend.  Looks comfy - but getting up and out of bed in the 43 degree morning was a challenge!

HomeSweetHome.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #183 - 05/05/20 at 15:28:17

Mike and his pack mule.  This is at the scenic view stop on the mountain on Route 52 headed toward Chatsworth.

PackMule.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #184 - 05/05/20 at 15:30:25

The view of the mountain we just crossed over into Chatsworth......this photo was taken at the carwash as I waited for the bike to cool down a bit.

CarwashMountain.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #185 - 05/05/20 at 15:31:10

Packed up and headed toward home.

(The rag hanging on the muffler is there to keep the strap from rubbing on the muffler......it is not yesterdays dirty underwear).

Packed.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #186 - 05/05/20 at 16:02:29

MIKE:

On the way home I rode north on 76 out of Ellijay, and I found Aska road that we used to get to Suches when you came in on Friday  That road leads into Newport Road and then to Dial Road......the little road that had those little farm buildings just feet from the pavement.  It is a very nice road and fun to ride.  (I also found Snake Nation on the Google map).

We need to keep this in mind for our next trip to Suches, as it was a far more pleasant ride than the dirt/gravel/mud roads Garmin put us on.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aska+Rd,+Georgia/@34.8719072,-84.3119473,16...

Dial_Road.PNG

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #187 - 05/06/20 at 11:14:49

Nice pictures Dave. And one of those pictures answered my curiosity about your bike. Is your bike belt drive? Looks like it is.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #188 - 05/06/20 at 18:12:37

Springman:

Yep, belt drive, 90HP, heated grips, ABS, push button suspension adjustment, tire pressure monitors, and a couple of trip odometers, mpg display, miles to empty, ambient temperature, clock.....lap timer!  The factory claims the belt should be replaced at 24,000 miles - most folks get double or more miles out of them.

I really do like this F800GT.....it does a lot of things really well.  The only thing that has taken me a while to get under control is the wind noise from the windshield, as the stock one put way too much air on my head.  It took me several windshield tries to get it right.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #189 - 05/07/20 at 07:33:23

Sharing information of the ones  I've had personal experience  ...
Springman , that BMW 800cc gets better MPG  than my Guzzi V7-II.  I understand the V7-III that has the Hemi head is more powerful and has MPG as good as the BMW , but it's still only 53 HP.   My V-9 gets over 60 mpg but the BMW 800 gets a little better.
Right now the V7-III left-over 2018's are $7k-ish new.   But the BMW 800 is a nice machine !   So many nice bikes to choose from ,  

Ya know there comes a point when ya got enough HP and more just gets ya in trouble , like my nephew's with a 138 HP - 400 lb. Suzuki 750 , constant maintenance nightmare .   Grin  

« Last Edit: 05/07/20 at 11:42:03 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #190 - 05/07/20 at 15:19:38

Dave, it sounds like you get just as much info on your bike as I do on my car ... maybe more. Smiley That sounds like a pretty sweet bike. I have to admit that I have never really considered a BMW just because I am not as hands on as you and hate the idea of having to take a bike somewhere to be worked on. I sorta feel the same about Italian bikes.

MM, thanks for all the info you always provide me. but I have to admit I feel much more comfortable with the idea of a Japanese bike. The Savage is great as far as I am concerned, I just really wish I had an additional 10-15 HP with the corresponding increase in torque. I think belt drive is the way to go but I would prefer tubeless tires and maybe fuel injection.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #191 - 05/07/20 at 17:35:45

I think belt drive is the way to go but I would prefer tubeless tires and maybe fuel injection.

I think your right Springman .  I have Shaft drive , cast wheels , and fuel injection .  

The Shaft drive is not as simple as it looks like it would be.   I like the care free Belt better too !   Wink

But as soon as the Royal Enfield 650 twin (48 hp) gets cast wheels I'm trading my V-9 in on one of them.  That will be 2 out of 3 of the good stuff .     Smiley
Let me tell ya a chain story :

I rebuilt a GS500 (45 hp) twin 2 years ago .   Part of refreshing the bike involved a new "O-ring" chain and new sprockets , they are painted and sealed now.  I sold it to a young man for his first bike and still see the young feller regularly.  I paid for half of his motorcycle safety coarse to get him started in the right direction before I'd sell it to him.   Wink 
Well , he has put almost 3,000 miles on it and has yet to adjust the chain.  

So  , I've been told the new "O-Ring" chains are different in a good way - than the old "You Lube Your Own" chains.   I've also been told  you don't need to lube the "O-Ring" chains ???

I'll let ya know how that works out --- if they finally get cast wheels , they been saying they are coming soon since Sept. 2019 ???  Huh

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #192 - 05/07/20 at 18:28:12

Springman:  I was a bit reluctant to buy a BMW, as you hear all kind of stories about the cost of parts and service, and how some folks have gotten lemons and are always needing repairs.  The old local guys I started hanging out with all have a lot of bike experience, and they have all had hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles with their BMW's.  After riding one or two - I learned that they are very nice bikes and the reality is they don't need a lot of service.  They are however modern and have all kind of electronic things that can go bad!  The Savage is far easier to work on, and has less things that can cause trouble.  It is not all that hard or expensive to get a noticeable power increase from the Savage....a piston, cam and a bit of head work and you may not want any other bike!

MM:  From what I understand, the O-ring chains benefit from cleaning and oiling on the outside - but the O-rings keep the lube in the chain and anything you spray on won't really get inside.  The cleaning and lubing just keeps the outside of the rollers and side plates from rusting.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #193 - 05/07/20 at 20:09:32

So Dave , have you got an "O-Ring" chain on your Ninja ?    and How does it do ?

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #194 - 05/08/20 at 04:32:10

MMRanch wrote on 05/07/20 at 20:09:32:
So Dave , have you got an "O-Ring" chain on your Ninja ?    and How does it do ?

I sold the Ninja to buy the F800 BMW.
The original chain on the Ninja went almost 16,000 miles - but it was neglected and had some stiff links when I took it off.  No amount of cleaning or oiling could get those stiff links freed up.  The replacement chain was an O-ring chain and I only rode a few hundred miles after replacing it.  The little Ninja was 30HP and had very little torque, and it was easy on chains.

I do like bikes with belts/shafts - but if a bike came along that was appealing to me and it had a chain......I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it.  The Honda CB500F was a motorcycle I was considering as a reliable long term "me" bike that I could ride anywhere.  The idea of having a modern motorcycle that had tubeless tires in a size that is readily available, a bike that had a dealer or two in every town, and had Honda reliability was appealing to me - but the looks and crappy seat for Deb kept me from buying it.
https://powersports.honda.com/street/sport/cb500f

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 23:11:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.