Events for 2020 (Read 2629 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #150 - 04/27/20 at 19:42:37

I can put Copperhill. into my GPS.    I normally take River-Road (Hwy 64) every time I go through that area anyway.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #151 - 04/28/20 at 11:27:32

I looked at the weather and thought maybe I could/should stop at Deals Gap and ride the Dragon area on Thursday - but they have a good chance of showers on Thursday.

The weather for Suches still looks great for Fri/Sat/Sun - there is a chance of showers Thursday....one weather report says PM and the other says AM.  There is 48 more hours for them to make up their minds.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ga/suches

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches/30572/daily-weather-forecast/2153437

MM........we can attempt to meet in Copperhill.  Mapquest claims it is 158 miles and takes about 3 hours to get from Lynchburg to Copperhill.  So adding that you will have to stop for fuel and a bit of rest along the way......you should be able to make it in 3.5 - 4 hours.

What time you planning on leaving on Friday?  And let me know if that is "your" time or "my" time, as our time zones are different by an hour (You are in Central, I am in Eastern).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #152 - 04/28/20 at 13:25:28

By time I get to rolling it might be 10:00 central , ,,,,

How about I meet ya at that bridge that crosses the state line in Copper Hill ?   I think the Ga. side is State Hwy 5 ?   Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #153 - 04/28/20 at 14:50:37

Have you guys called ahead to be SURE they are open? I just got a reply from Bobby at the K.S.L saying the state and county won't let them open yet, hopefully by the end of May.
On the bright side, he said Mo and him are both fine and ready to go as soon as they can.
( the KSL web site says opening May 8th, they haven't updated it yet )

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #154 - 04/28/20 at 18:42:31

NO , I never even thought about it ?   I got the idea from some of the guys on the Guzzi site who stated Two Wheels of Suches was open this weekend. ...  

I think I'll call in the morning ... just to be sure.

just got this off the Guzzi site ... it was posted the 24th.

Twowheeladdict:  Yes according to their Facebook posting as of yesterday evening, their Bathhouses are in fact open., along with their cabins and tenting areas of course.  Stay safe....  

another post said restaurant open for take out.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #155 - 04/28/20 at 18:43:33

Badwolf:

I looked at the websites:  Deals Gap does not have any hotel or camping - but the restaurant and store are open 9-5 for carry out.  Two Wheels of Suches is not opening the restaurant or the lodge rooms - but they are renting cabins and the campground.

MMRanch:

That bridge looks like a good place to meet.  There is a gas station with a Subway on the Copperhill, TN side of the bridge - on the McCaysville, GA side there are some interesting shops, and maybe they will be open for business.......there is on street parking on the right side of the street in front of the shops just after you cross the bridge, and I will look for you there (and you can look for me there). If you leave at 11 eastern time (10 Central) and it takes 3 hours at MapQuest pace you will be there at 2....and a more casual pace will get you there at 3.

I loaded up the bike tonight, tomorrow I will pack the rest of the stuff and get rolling around noon....arrival time in Suches will likely be around 8PM.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #156 - 04/28/20 at 19:42:06

Just for everybody's info. A friend who  lives just a few miles from TWO advises the county has several new speed radar units and the county is being more aggressive toward  speeders. I don't know but suspect they are mostly deployed on the major roads rather than the remote twisties.
Bill  

Just seen this on the Guzzi site .   I  can behave most of the time ... mostly !   Roll Eyes    Not slowing down for the curves is what makes it fun for me anyway.

Dave , You might not recognize my Guzzi , but being there ain't to many of them out and about ... any Guzzi you see will likely be mine .    I'll look for a White BMW there ain't too many of them either .  Wink    If you get there first then leave me a parking space.  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #157 - 04/29/20 at 04:03:27

MM: The Guzzi folks have a forum?  I didn't know you could speak Italian!

I won't have any trouble recognizing your Guzzi.....even if it is one I have never seen before.  It will be the only one with a Mountain Dew bottle mounted to the handlebars.

I remember the area having pretty reasonable speed limits - if you were a sport bike owner the speed limits would be easy to break on some of the roads as the turns are big sweepers.  A local fellow owns a Ducati Multi-Strada and when he goes down with his sport bike friends he wears out a new set of tires in 5 days of riding.

I do think the Richard B Russel Scenic Highway has a 35mph speed limit, and we likely will have a tough time with that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3825lEOSw0

« Last Edit: 04/29/20 at 06:36:01 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #158 - 04/30/20 at 08:45:47

Well I got here last night around 10PM, the entire drive down here was in very hard rain, and it stopped about an hour after I arrived.  It is around 45 degrees and cloudy and has been drizzling - it is not supposed to start clearing until 3PM........I guess I got here a day too early!

The next 3 days are supposed to be really nice - however they start out a bit cool.  I can spend the next few hours getting the bike unloaded and things organized, then go for a ride if things dry up a bit.

View1.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #159 - 04/30/20 at 16:21:38

Wow that forest picture makes me think of a seen from Star Wars ...  

So , you thinking about 15:00 Eastern (14:00 Central) at the Copperhill bridge ?   I'll ride around the block looking for ya , then park close as I can get to the bridge.   Hopefully within sight of it.   If they have a sandwich shop I might need to grab a bite about that time anyway.

If 15:00 works for ya.

Kent said he might be able to come ride for a bit Saturday ???  There should be a few of the Guzzi folks there this weekend too.   I met one of them  (twowheeladdict) in Murfreesboro one time and we rode back to Shelbville together .  He was pushing a 400cc Himalaya about as hard as he could and made me work to keep-up with him .  Smiley
You know how those folks are who buy European Motorcycles are !  Grin  

There is one of them Guzzi bikes called the  Stelvio and another called the GRiSO , they are both 100+ hp. sports bikes and are really popular with this bunch.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #160 - 04/30/20 at 16:57:38

Things finally starting drying up in the late afternoon, and I went for a ride to get dinner in Dahlonega around 6....it was in the middle 50's by then.

The Chick-fil-A is drive up service only - not sure if that will change with May 1st tomorrow or not.  I rode down to the reservoir and ate my dinner there.......nicer view than the parking lot uptown.

MM - See you in Copperhill/McCaysville tomorrow.  I brought two folding chairs - so don't bother trying to pack one, as you may want to haul your Sport Demon tire and tube home with you!

View2.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #161 - 04/30/20 at 19:09:05

I saw a lake near Suches on the map when I was checking out the way from CopperHill to Suches.  

Hwy 5 south, Greens Mill , Snake Nation , Dial ,Swan ,Margret ,Baxter ,Gaddis Town , Suches ...
All together its looks like quite an adventure !   Huh

It may be the "Shortest" route between Suches and CopperHill ?

Funny you should mention Chairs !   I was bring two of them too !!  Grin
I'll just have to tie the tire on top of all else .  Wink

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #162 - 05/01/20 at 06:06:20

MMRanch wrote on 04/30/20 at 19:09:05:
It may be the "Shortest" route between Suches and CopperHill ?

Does your estimate of the shortest route include the missed turns and general GPS confusion?

I can program my GPS for Two Wheels of Suches.....and at some point we will likely make it back - shortest route or not.

It was 43 and really windy when I got up this morning - the sun is up and by noon we should be up in the 50's......I don't need to leave until a bit after that to make our meeting in Copperhill - but I am likely to head out and do some riding once the chill burns off.  I really didn't pack enough clothes for riding in 40 degree temps (silly me).

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #163 - 05/01/20 at 06:16:46

I can bring ya a hoodie or something ?

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #164 - 05/01/20 at 06:17:26

Maybe I should bring two hoodie or somethings ?
Grin

I've got heated vest and gloves now ... think I'll bring them !

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 03:55:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.