Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #165 - 05/01/20 at 19:11:55

It finally warmed up this morning and I left around 10 AM when the temperature was up around 50.  I rode around for a few hours before heading up to meet Mike in Copperhill.  Along the way I found a road worth stopping to snap a selfie.....good thing I had a bandana to use as a mask while I stopped to take the photo!

I got into Copperhead and saw Mike's Guzzi parked in a Subway lot, and he was inside getting his lunch.  I went to a place on the corner and got Cuban food.

We had a great riding day and even got to ride in temps up around 70!  We rode back and got Mike's gear unloaded and his tent set up, then went to town and got Zaxby's.  It sure is a bit weird riding the motorcycle in the drive thru lane.....the Governor of Georgia extended the current restrictions until May 15.

AsbestosRd.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #166 - 05/02/20 at 19:32:39

Glad you guys are having a good time. I went for about a 2 hour ride here in the Houston area. I rode the back roads up to a town called Conroe and then came back on the highway. I have to admit that I just have not found any good (curvy) roads anywhere near me. I need to get to the Hill Country.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #167 - 05/03/20 at 17:45:18

Yesterday Mike's brother Kent came and rode with us for the day.  The weather had warmed up a bit and it was 47 at night and warmed up to the 70's during the day.  Kent had a 1994 Sportster with extended forks, short rear shocks, a thin single seat, and a clutch lever that will make a man out of you!  Kent can ride that bike incredibly well and there isn't any way you can leave him behind - his tires are scuffed all the way to the edge of the tread......no "Chicken Strips" on his tires!

There was a dual sport group meeting at the Two Wheels of Suches, and they had to open up a pasture for overflow truck/trailer parking for all the bike being hauled in.  Once they all got on the road they pretty much disappeared into the back roads, trails and woods.  There was a lot of traffic on Saturday - mostly bikes and Jeeps.  The campers, RV's and motorhomes have not moved into the area as the National and State campgrounds have not yet opened up.  We were able to eat inside at a real restaurant in Helen - the first time I have been in a restaurant in a month and a half.  The tables were spread apart and the staff were wearing masks.

This morning was even warmer yet and it was 52.  MM and I got breakfast at the Two Wheels, then he finished packing and headed out.  I rode with him until around 3:30 and then turned around and headed home.  I will let MM tell you his version of the story - but let me just say we had planned on riding north on 60, then going west on 76 to Ellijay were we could pick up 52 West and go over the mountain to Chatsworth.  Unfortunately MM and I let our Garmins drag us off our intended course, and we ended up on horrible roads that took us 30 miles south of Ellijay.........I believe we rode for an hour on my most un-favorite form of road!

At Chatsworth MM headed west toward Lynchburg, and I headed to a car wash!

I took a southern route of of Chatsworth on 411 to try 76 west over the mountain, and it turned out to be a bit to civilized and the 52 route was much prettier.  I made it back to Suches around 7, and began packing up my stuff for my departure on Monday morning.

It was great weather for riding....a bit chilly for sleeping - a very nice weekend of riding!      

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #168 - 05/03/20 at 21:13:05

Those North Ga.Mountains are COLD AT NIGHT .  

I got to our meeting place an hour earlier than I thought I would (Coppertown,Tn.)  it was past lunch time ... so there I was and there was a Sub-Way .   The natural chain of events took place till I got my order and turned to leave ... well ... there was somebody peeking into the window like a kid at a adult movie ... it was funny !  Grin     But I didn't drop my drink or anything at the shock of seeing Dave there grinning at the shocked look I must have had.

Friday was a very nice day to ride with a jacket too.  Dave went to the Cuban place across the street and got some lunch and our adventure started with having lunch on a big flat rock beside a river full of Ducks and a few geese.   We were sitting on the big flat rock so its not in the picture.
« Last Edit: 05/03/20 at 22:31:12 by MMRanch »  

Lunch_Coppertown.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #169 - 05/03/20 at 21:19:43

Springman you would have   LOVED  the road we took to the Two-Wheels-of-Suches campground .   It wound through the mountains for two hours of 30 - 60 mph twisties .   Then we came to the Lodge/TWS/CampGround.
I got my tent set-up and we went to Zackbys drive up.
« Last Edit: 05/04/20 at 17:51:57 by MMRanch »  

TWS_Lodge_1.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #170 - 05/03/20 at 21:21:19

The campground itself it really big and has a few cabins too.   here is a small piece of it .

TWS_Campground_1.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #171 - 05/03/20 at 21:32:54

Sorry , I don't know how to get more than one picture at a  time ???

Saturday my Brother Kent who lives in north Ga. showed up right after breakfast and after a bit of front porch at the lodge time we rode.  We went over "Blood Mountain" without loosing any blood and kept going over "Helen Mountain" .   Helen Ga. (google it) is a little German town reconstructed in the N.Ga. hills.  It "Looks" like a (1850's) German town.   The first place we passed had pick-nick tables outside by the river with a guy playing a guitar and singing mellow stuff in the shade .  Smiley  Of course the only tables not filled were in the full after noon sun  Sad  ... But Dave talked to the waitress and save us from a baking so we sat inside the restaurant beside a picture window overlooking the same river.   Cool
« Last Edit: 05/06/20 at 21:14:05 by MMRanch »  

TWS_Helen_Lunch_1.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #172 - 05/03/20 at 21:52:35

After Lunch/Dinner me and Kent swapped bikes for a while and I rode the Testicle Tingler  .   It kinda reminded me of a 1971 Honda 350 twin I had years ago ... but with a lot more of everything (including the tingles).   Roll Eyes

That went on till we found the Dreaded Road-Construction and the line of Dump-Truckss , Car , and Flag men to go with it.  

But once again Dave pulled an Idea out of his hat !    So after a "U-Turn" and a few side roads we headed for (Google this one too) "Wolf-Pen-Gap" , we have all been on WPG before so me and Kent traded bikes back before jumping on this Pack-of-Twisties   Wink.

So after another hour of playing with the Pack and all the other fun pavement leading to the TWS Lodge we finished the day where we started it ... on the porch swapping stories with the rest of the lie-ers
 folks , and I met three of the Guzzi people in person I'd met on line .  Apparently there arn't any strangers on the porch in the late afternoons , or the parking lot either .

Lunch_Helen_1.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #173 - 05/03/20 at 22:13:21

Sunday , That was a day that those who were there will never forget !   Grin

I have a picture and a video ... not sure how to post the video and you'll have to voooom the picture , but that is Dave on a Dirt/Gravel/Forest Road.

The GPS said turn Left ...  Roll Eyes , we both have Garmin's and they both said the same thing ... so it may not be totally our faults ???

Now after we got to the other end and it came out at a Ranger Station in the middle of no-where with four dirt roads and one black-top meeting at the 5 point intersection --- then Dave says , " I think the (FT-14) on the Garmin might have been for (Forrest-Trail ???) .  There were maybe more than 14 of them but I'm not going back to count them !

That  road  was steep and chunky with dirt , rocks , ruts , and water crossings that my TRACTION CONTROL kept turning my throttle off when I needed it most .    The bike I was on , was loaded with a tent , 2 chairs , sleeping bag , tarp , overnight bag , and a tire & tube that Dave brought to give me along with a bunch of stuff I can't even think of ... I barely had a place to sit pushed up against the gas tank.  

Dave on dirt after the ruff stuff was over and I could stop and get my phone out.
« Last Edit: 05/04/20 at 18:06:02 by MMRanch »  

Dave_on_Dirt_1.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #174 - 05/03/20 at 22:23:00

The rest of the trip was not to eventful .   So it was 75 and 80 down the super slab most of the way home .    

I saw a storm coming from the South West  while I was coming from the South East  about 30 miles before I got home .   It looked like I might meet it before I got home , but I got home a 17:10 and the Storm got here at 17:20 .    That seems like cutting it really close at the end of a 200 mile ride !  Wink  
 I feel like a Blessed Man sometimes !  

Pearl.jpg

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #175 - 05/04/20 at 07:31:08

It sounds like you guys had a great time. I like the pictures you both put up. Yes, I did some riding this weekend but nothing like you guys. Wish I could have been there but at the same time there is no way I could have kept up with you guys on those bikes. I'm really glad you all had a good time.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #176 - 05/04/20 at 10:48:22

I don't know Springman , there were only a couple time we all did power-take-offs , just to try each other out .   But I found we were all "well balanced in power" , and ya don't want to spend all your back tire rubber on one trip !   Grin

Mostly ridding between 30 and 60 is just easy going , and the S-40 runs up to 60 about as good as anything else.    Even when I ride with my 1800cc Goldwing hotrod buddies , my S-40 keeps up .   Most of the time those "Shooting it off the line" things end before the speed limit is broken.  I mostly brought the V-9 for the interstate ride there and back.

Here is a surprising thing.  The Guzzi 853 cc gets (60 mpg plus) doing those mountain rides then mid 55-58 mpg doing 75 + 80 running down the hwy.  The old 750 LTD Kawasaki I used to have only got about 42 mpg on a good day.  My wallet needs a break every chance I can give it , even with cheep gas --- a break is still a break !   Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #177 - 05/04/20 at 18:02:35

Springman:  You would not have any trouble riding with us.  We don't tend to ride much over 50 or 60 on any road - and the corners are where we have our fun.  We corner fast than the cars - but slower than the aggressive fellows on their sport bikes and Motards.

I got packed up and headed out this morning around 8 AM.  The GPS claimed I would be home in 6.5 hours....it took close to 10!  I made a few stops for food and gas, stopped to look at the dam on the Ocoee River, and took a back road out of Lexington to get home as I had enough interstate.  Part of the extra time is that my little Pontiac can't pull a trailer at 66 mph on route 60 in GA...the road is just too curvy and too many hills.  And on the intestate there are a lot of hills that slow me down to 60 in the 70 mph speed limit areas.

When I was just outside Lexington my wife called to see where I was - she fell off her bicycle and had gotten hurt, and was going to get checked out at an orthopedic center.  I called them and they said I could not come in because of their Coronavirus restrictions - so I just went home and waited and unpacked.  Turns out her knee is just bruised and swollen - but her elbow is broken.  She sure does break easily!

I have a few more photos to post.....I will do it tomorrow as I am ready for bed.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #178 - 05/04/20 at 21:01:31

Dave, so sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she heals quickly.

MM, you are right, up to about 60 the S40 does pretty darn good. On the highway though 65-70 mph or so is the sweet spot. It'll do more but it feels like I am pushing it. And after those highway runs I find a good bit of oil all over the left side of the engine and bike.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #179 - 05/05/20 at 06:44:59

a good bit of oil all over the left side of the engine and bike.  

?  I wonder if its coming from the top right and just running down hill when on the kick stand ?  

I'm up to about 50k miles and not a drop coming out on its own yet ...
Just lucky I guess ?

I think ??? Pull the tank and re-tighten the head bolts .   I've had two of these bikes and both of them let me remove the head cover without pulling the engine.   There is one bolt in the center that stays in place while the cover comes off and on .
That RTV ultra Grey has never failed me for a sealer.  A little on both surfaces , wait for it to semi-set , after both sides meet - wait 20 minutes before tightening (so ya don't squish it all out) .   Finished product might be .002-4" thick gasket .  Works for me , I hope it does for you !  Smiley

Versey has a "improved PLUG COVER"  you might have on hand before pulling the tank ?  Undecided      I've got one of them ... if I ever need the cover off ?  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 21:16:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.