Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650 (Read 1405 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS65
Reply #45 - 08/26/19 at 08:22:55

Reviewing the parts diagrams there's the discrepancy with the gear for the speedo drive in my wheel. The one I have is different looking from the drawing. For some reason its probably the wrong part and the gear is stopping the drive from seating all the way into the hub.
That would explain the 1/8" offset.
For all I know the wheel or the gear came from a Ninja or one of the other models with similar parts.

I'm not gonna try and figure it out. I've got better uses for my time. I'll just go the custum spacer route and call it a day...

I don't need the drive and it probably won't work with the Savage speedometer anyway.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #46 - 08/26/19 at 09:21:20

That is from about the time when all of the Japanese makes standardized the speedometer ratio. I don't recall what year that happened but if it was after that point then any speedometer would read correctly with that drive.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #47 - 08/26/19 at 09:34:43

Page 58 of the parts manual shows it looking like this.

You can download the manuals from my site if you want. Some of them are pretty large though. The service manual may not be completely uploaded yet.

I have a ton of manuals here and there.
https://dcmotive.com/manuals

ZL900_wheel.JPG
WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #48 - 08/26/19 at 11:17:37

Fast 650 wrote on 08/26/19 at 09:21:20:
That is from about the time when all of the Japanese makes standardized the speedometer ratio. I don't recall what year that happened but if it was after that point then any speedometer would read correctly with that drive.

Interesting. I did not know this. Considering Suzuki made up their own proprietary spinoff of the CAN-BUS protocol on their modern bikes I have to wonder about their adherence to standards over the years.  Roll Eyes

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #49 - 08/26/19 at 11:20:32

SpamyToo wrote on 08/26/19 at 09:34:43:
Page 58 of the parts manual shows it looking like this.

You can download the manuals from my site if you want. Some of them are pretty large though. The service manual may not be completely uploaded yet.

I have a ton of manuals here and there.
https://dcmotive.com/manuals

My 41064 has 4 "teeth" instead of the 2 shown in that drawing. Kinda fishy me thinks.

I certainly love free manuals.  Muchas Gracias Señor! Cool

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #50 - 08/26/19 at 16:48:11

Ok ordered 15mm axle stock.
Hey and my service manual came in the mail today!
It came from Greece. No wonder the long wait...

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #51 - 08/26/19 at 18:25:30

The manual confirms my suspicion. It says line up the drive housing so that the teeth in the gear line up with and fit into the two slots inside the housing. Under a bright light I can see inside the housing and there's two slots. My gear has 4 teeth so it can't fit all the way into the housing since 2 of those teeth Don't have corresponding slots.

Sooooo, custom spacer. I'm not hunting down another elusive part.

On the bright side I now have torque values for all the nuts and bolts and the procedure for replacing the fork oil. This last is good since I've found at least 4 totally conflicting forum posts on the amount of oil to put in around the web  Angry

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #52 - 08/28/19 at 16:41:32

Picked up some retention ring pliers for taking the fork caps off and used them to remove the speedo drive gear from the wheel. Turns out that the gear doesn't have 4 teeth it has 2 like it's supposed to. But its damaged in such a way that it looks like 4 teeth. Bent the damaged parts back the right way and sure enough it fits all the way in now.
And the spacer stock came today. Go figure.

I also managed to free up the frozen caliper I was grouching about before. The rubber condom that goes over the slider pin got bound up inside the tube. Folded over itself from lack of lubrication I guess. I've had that happen to me too and it's not pleasant. Anyway put my rubber mallet to good use and now I have the bracket free which I need for new calipers which have the wrong brackets.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #53 - 09/01/19 at 11:43:06

DIY wheel spacer done.

20190901_1439381.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #54 - 09/01/19 at 12:56:15

Perfect fit!

20190901_1533131.jpg

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 09/01/19 at 18:16:01

That spacer looks total pro.  How did you make it?

I think you are gonna have a handful of brakes when you are finished with this project.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #56 - 09/01/19 at 18:39:22

Thanks it's my 1st ever. I hacksawed the stock 2mm longer than needed and squared off and shortened using a combo belt/disk sander real careful like until I had it a hair longer than 39mm. That being the width of the speedo drive. I put the factory cut side of the spacer on the bearing side in case the cut end wasn't a perfect square.

As for the brakes they're single piston calipers and I don't expect they'll be any worse than the massive brembos on my Ducati. I've ridden that bike with ABS turned off and yes it's alot of brakes but still manageable if you are mindful.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #57 - 09/02/19 at 12:46:11

Decisions, decisions. The ZL900 Eliminator has a long chrome front brake crossover tube mounted right on the front of the lower triple clamp. See picture.
To use that big crackpipe on the Savage mounting holes need to be drilled into the front of the triple clamp. There's really nowhere else to mount it.

Or I can go with a 2 line setup like seen here...
https://galferusa.com/products/lines

What to do?
2-line setup is expensive and routing the lines might require some imagination.
Crackpipe setup is cheaper since I have all necessary parts but does require making accurately spaced holes in the clamp.

Hmmmmmmm.... Undecided

zl900.jpg

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #58 - 09/02/19 at 18:55:52

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #59 - 09/03/19 at 11:37:23

Actually after mocking up my new risers and handlebars it's looking like I'll need a custom solution for brake lines.
The required lengths have changed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:57:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.