Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650 (Read 1405 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS65
Reply #120 - 04/30/20 at 16:23:20

I got a complete eli 1000 that threw a rod on #3 - complete bike and another eli 1k with an unknown (likely starter clutch) problem I plan on getting back alive some day.
You think the rear wheel off the eli will also fit  - 900 and 1000 are same AFAIK.

I slid the forks off a maxim 700 - or virago don't recall - that did slide in but not the same spacing. It was maybe 1/2 too wide - IMHO not a useable combo.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #121 - 05/01/20 at 14:56:03

Eli has shaft drive. While the rear wheel is the same diameter as the LS650 I can't imagine any way to convert the hub to a belt pulley or sprocket. If you can machine a custom hub adapter it might be possible but the wheel may be too wide anyway.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #122 - 05/01/20 at 15:23:40

philthymike wrote on 05/01/20 at 14:56:03:
Eli has shaft drive. While the rear wheel is the same diameter as the LS650 I can't imagine any way to convert the hub to a belt pulley or sprocket. If you can machine a custom hub adapter it might be possible but the wheel may be too wide anyway.

Right - That's true.It also may be too wide to go in the swingarm of the savage - but if the shaft was the only issue - the ninja 1000 wheel rear would be an option - I again think that's also too wide though.

BTW there is a metzler 200 size tire I think it was an ME880, that fits the eli - man would that have been awesome.
As rare as an eli 9/1000 is - at one time I had 5 of them, 4 that ran and 1 for parts. Now just 2. One that may run and 1 for parts.

The eli parts are heavy as the dickens. That's my biggest pet peeve about them.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #123 - 05/01/20 at 16:06:12

I'd actually looked around at Ninja front wheels and they looked to be compatible with Eli forks/axles but in the end I decided such a small front wheel wouldn't be a good idea. Already lose an inch diameter from the LS650 front wheel with the Eli wheel. Also looked at Ninja forks but they're 1 mm larger than the Eli. I thought the anti-dive feature might be a good idea.
I am using the Ninja calipers though. They fit on the Eli caliper bracket perfectly. The Ninja brackets don't fit Eli forks though.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #124 - 05/01/20 at 16:25:31

Naaa ninja rear wheel - no ninja stuff even in 87 was better than eli crap. They threw on the heaviest pigs onto - well the concourse. That sucker they made all the way to 2006. Anyway eli people love the concourse. Easy supply of 1/2 decent parts.
Anyway I have no idea about the ninja parts of that era - just a guess the rear wheel matched the front - but no clue. In any case - awesome project, May do it - but savage IMHO needs to lose that ridiculous offset in the triples - else it will handle like an overloaded wheel barrow. So, I've got a different mountain to climb. Eli or no eli.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #125 - 05/01/20 at 16:55:45

I was also researching the Concourse for compatible pieces, forks mostly but ruled them out for one reason or another. Don't remember specifically.
The top bridge I got from DC Moto does alot to remedy wheelbarrow effect. I'm still playing around with the height of the forks in the tree. Now that the suspension is firmer due to heavier oil I need to make one more adjustment.
Still out to lunch on the front tire size I chose...

If you choose to do a Savage like I did let me know if you need further details.

Otherwise good luck getting your Eli back together.  Cool

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #126 - 05/02/20 at 07:43:05

How does the DC moto upper triple affect the wheelbarrow quality.
Of course you can shorten the forks. It would reduce the offset a bit.

Eli forks in the savage triple - unlikely. I am really wanting to cut that offset in 1/2 atleast. A tank swap would do it. The stupid thing is - the savage is so easy to swap a front end - almost any Suzuki, kawi etc from the 80's and 90's will work. GS500, Katana 600 etc etc. Just swap the stem and the whole FE will drop in and get you twin disks if you used a FE with twins. But they will all clobber the tank.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #127 - 05/02/20 at 08:30:13

I had no requirement for changing the offset. My main requirement was a swap that is within my technical ability - an easy job. All accomplished with basic hand tools mostly.
I looked at moving the tank back to accommodate the Marauder FE but decided I didn't want the potential headache of rewiring the speedo/idiot lights assy.

Fitting a different tank opens lots of possibilities for FE swaps but also necessitates a load of rewiring and relocating. But if you're inclined to expend the efforts then more power to you.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #128 - 05/03/20 at 07:22:09

batman wrote on 08/12/19 at 15:57:08:
I'd  test the bike with only one disc first , your bike is 200lbs lighter ,two might tend to do an on wanted stoppie, or worse lockup the front tire. but it looks good ! cool find!

Oddly this doesn't happen - or in other words twin calipers and the master cyl that belongs to that setup don't get you unintended stoppies. In effect I replace GS500 FE's with Katana 600 ones going from 2 piston single caliper to Dual opposed piston twin caliper - so goes from 2 pistons to 8. The brakes feel smooth and predictable and stoppies are only if you're really trying.
Removing 1 caliper could get you a brake setup that loses all feel. Rather it gets too abrupt. Almost like a light switch.
But post back with your observations. Your calipers are only 1 piston each. You're going from 1 piston to 2 basically. I'd use the kawi parts all across and the side effect may be that your brake pads and disks wear out - like never. On a GS 10K you'd eat the pad - mainly the static pad, and 20K you'd eat a rotor. Katana FE's typically on a GS - well, I've never changed them and in 7K or so they don't look anywhere near needing a change.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #129 - 05/09/20 at 10:02:52

Just showing off the new rotors I put on last week.

20200509_125243_HDR1.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #130 - 05/09/20 at 10:05:48

And here's the height I raised the forks this time around. Have not tested yet.

20200509_125306_HDR1.jpg

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #131 - 05/13/20 at 05:20:18

I can't wait to see the completed project. It looks awesome. Grin

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #132 - 05/13/20 at 10:25:48

Psydton3 wrote on 05/13/20 at 05:20:18:
I can't wait to see the completed project. It looks awesome. Grin

Thank you!  Cool
With the new rotors and pads it's completed now. I've spent a couple months and a few hundred miles of shakedown rides to get here now where I'm just tying up loose ends and making last minute adjustments and improving on questionable used parts.
It's a done deal. I'll get some more pictures up eventually when I'm done fighting with clutch and my own clumsy bolt breaking blunders.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #133 - 05/16/20 at 17:29:48

Pads and rotors are bedded in now. Now the bike stops even faster and with no more locking up the wheel. I guess the worn out rotors were the reason for that locking up. Now I just get an occasional chirp but no extended skidding. Heavier fork oil greatly reduced the diving and a much less pogo stick type ride.
Fork height in the clamps is 15mm now and I'm happy with how the steering tracks. This height seems to be the magic number for the wheel and tire.

As of 17171 miles this part of the project is done.

20200516_190940_HDR1.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #134 - 05/17/20 at 05:12:25

You couldn't wait an extra tenth of a mile to take that photo? Where's your sense of order?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:46:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.