Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650 (Read 1405 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS65
Reply #15 - 08/16/19 at 17:07:26

The speedo drive is ordered as well as a set of OEM brake lines for $20. Need to download the service manual for the ZL900 because what I'm looking at does not match up to the parts diagram at all.
https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/137226/1985/ZL900-A1

The speedometer receiver in my wheel looks nothing like the one in the diagram. I suspect that the wheel is possibly a different year than advertised. I'll get to the bottom of it...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 08/17/19 at 04:14:40

If I was going to use those brake calipers - I would take them apart and clean them up before I put them to use.  I would likely also buy the rubber seals and replace them......they get hard over time and the pistons can stick and cause the brakes to drag.

Clean the rubber parts with dish washing soap and hot water......no mineral solvents as the rubber can absorb it and the parts will be ruined.

The metal parts can be cleaned more aggressively with stronger soap and a cleaner......I would use Bike Bright as it is a strong cleaner/degreaser that does not attack paint or aluminum.  Pressure washing is fine once you have the caliper apart.  The "crud" you are talking about may be corrosion, as some of the brake dust can be corrosive to aluminum.  The only way to get that off may be to use steel wool, sandpaper, Scotch Bright, etc......follow up with fine steel wool and then polishing past (If you have a buffer - "Bob's your Uncle").

If you can't get the metal to look good - powder coating or brake caliper paint is your best best.

And Batman makes a good point - the stock master cylinder is sized for a single piston caliper on a single brake disc.  You should compare the size of the Savage caliper piston to the size of the caliper piston the brakes came from.....maybe even use the brake caliper that matches the front end you are using.  The Savage isn't powerful enough, heavy enough or fast enough to need dual front brakes - as good single disc will provide plenty of brake....but since you got 2 you might as well try it. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 08/17/19 at 07:31:36

I might as well try it? Thanks but that's sorta the whole point of this exercise.  Cheesy

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #18 - 08/17/19 at 08:02:25

Can someone tell me what's the preferred method of fork removal?
Do I take off the gas tank and hook ratcheting straps between the frame and the overhead joist in the garage to lift the front of the bike high enough?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/17/19 at 08:12:35

Can someone tell me what's the preferred method of fork removal?

I can tell you the Quickest way.
Is it the PreFerred way?
I don't think so.
My forks are laying by the bike..
Snapped off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/17/19 at 08:31:55

You probably should take the tank off no matter what you do.
lift the front end your preferred method.
I have a chain hoist, and the hook goes in the square tube and you can lift the whole bike from there, nearly balanced.
jack stands under the front pegs works really well for the front end
or a block under the frame will do.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 08/17/19 at 08:45:30

I'm looking at single brake afterall. While cleaning the calipers I discovered one is totally seized. Not the piston but the sliders.
Grrrr...

I guess I'll try the hoisting method. Without any help with lifting the other methods will likely result in me hurting my back again like I did a few short weeks ago rebuilding the kitchen. Don't need anymore radiologist bills this year.

And the snapping off method, while fast, isn't quite going to help with radiologist bills either  Wink

Ok time to shop for another caliper....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #22 - 08/17/19 at 10:34:30

Ok found another set of calipers. This time they're tested good according to the seller. Ordered them and just got notified that they've shipped. That's quick!
No local hardware stores have chain hoists in stock. So I had to settle for a 2 ton come-along.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/chain-and-rope/load-binders/...

It'll work fine just to lift the front up.
I'll get it setup when it cools off later.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/17/19 at 10:46:38

Harbor Freight?

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #24 - 08/17/19 at 11:28:32

Harbor Freight is in the shoot-your-way-in-shoot-your-way-out side of the county. Not in the mood to ride through there today and can't remember where my bulletproof vest is.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 08/18/19 at 09:27:48

Has anyone here used this custom clamp?
https://dcmotive.com/products/suzuki-ls650-s40-savage-flat-pinch-triple-clamp

There's no way of securing the Kawasaki forks in the top bridge of the Savage clamps so I'm looking for options.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 08/18/19 at 10:46:17

I used a Come-Along to hoist the bike in the shop and set it down on a cinder block. I used a thin wooden shim to make it solid. While I was doing things that could upset it I kept the hoist connected and just barely snug.
That was enough to get the seals done.
I'd pull the tank if I was messing with the crown nut. Be a shame to mess it up.

I have a strap, very heavy thing, on a 2x12 the Come-Along is on, and some woven nylon rope I put on the bike.
It's not cheap. If the rope you're looking at has a woven exterior and strands of something running inside that woven tube, don't.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/18/19 at 15:20:49

Careful you don't give the bike too much braking power, it's only 381lbs stock, much less bobbed or cafe'd. I did synthetic fluid, a braided stainless line, and sintered pads for the '07 I built my buddy and you can lock the front tire with two fingers.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 08/18/19 at 16:50:15

Borrowed my neighbors chain hoist. The come-along was too long.

20190818_1910101.jpg

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #29 - 08/18/19 at 16:53:55

Had to use the bike lock for my mountain bike. Holds the bike like a champ.

What size wrench do I need for the caps on the Savage forks?

20190818_1907091.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 17:16:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gentlemen Behold: Dual Disc Front End for LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.