Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on after market muffler (Read 314 times)
Jasongibby94
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thoughts on after market muffler
05/09/20 at 16:24:36

Really close to buying this, want some opinions

Loud pipes save lives!! Ride safe my friends Cool

Screenshot_20200509-192051_Chrome.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thoughts on after market muffler
Reply #1 - 05/09/20 at 17:24:28

The easiest to tune the bike to, most affordable, with an easy tone, is a Harley muffler..The Dyna muffler, the right model, fits pretty easily. REquires a piece added, with a few degrees of turn out,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/09/20 at 17:56:32

If loud pipes save lives ? No ,common sense saves lives. I don't think Voodoo makes a good muffler ,they sell a fiberglass baffle, if I'm not mistaken ,and fiberglass cooks and blows out the tailpipe in short order leaving you to retune your carb because it's now a straight pipe. Loud makes you deaf, gives bad performance and bad mileage. I run an unmolested H-D with great results.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 05/09/20 at 18:04:44

Jason, I have one of these on my '03'. Have been riding with it since Oct. This muffler is sold under a couple different names, but VooDoo is the big purveyor of it. First thing I will tell you is, it is not a straight up fit. The whole thing does not align very well and if you look at pictures and videos a lot of folks don't attach it to anything beyond the header. That is not a good idea. You can finagle everything to get it to bolt to mounting bracket but it is not positioned very well.

I will start by saying that the fast, quick fit up position, the turn out is basically perpendicular to the bike, hence a turn out. There are 2 things. One it doesn't look all that great and second it has some position issues.

I am the first guy to promote the concept of "Ride Safe, Ride Loud", and the thing is loud. But, if just installed as out of the box, it has a couple issues. First it makes the bike sound kind of like an obnoxious  lawn mower. Second, that sound is emphasised because it is being broadcast out at 90 degrees. So you are in effect projeting it out from the side of the bike.

How to address the sound and fit issues gets a little complicated. First it works better if you convert the mounting to a 3/4 turn down. Now you are not projecting the sound out to the side but rather down towards the road. Second you need to add a baffle or 2 to deepen and make the sound a little richer. When you install it and hear it on your bike it does not sound like it does in the you tube videos, phone camera's do not really capture good sound for things like this.

So now you are at the situation where the thing does not just fit up with a bolt holding it onto the bracket, or maybe nothing more then mounted to the header. So what do you do to make it a safe and complete install.

Well you need to get a connector between the header and it and you need to fabricate a mounting bracket/plate to attach it to the bracket on the bike. I did it by buying some exhaust pipe and having a muffler shop bend and expand it on the header end and I fabricated a stainless mounting plate to attach it to the bracket on the bike. To get the sound right I installed small baffles in it, one at the end of the connector to the header and another in the rear of the muffler.

With the sound right now I have still not figured the carb adjustments necessary to control the back fire it has created due to increased flow and reduced back pressure. The second catalytic baffle at end helped.

They are inexpensive so give it a try and if you are happy with sound, just bolt it up and ride. Mufflers really do need some shock mounting though and there is really not a way to effectively do that out of the box with what is provided. I will add the chrome one I installed began to blue imediately. Some could be attributed to the placement of a diversion baffle right in the front end of it.

I do have all the parts needed to do a mount like mine, I fabricated extras as I was doing it, as I have not only an '03' but a 2011 also. I will post pictures of the parts fabbed.

So now you have it on

IMG_5521.jpg
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 05/09/20 at 18:06:27

Header to muffler connector with baffle front baffle.

IMG_4829_002.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 05/09/20 at 18:10:21

Plate/bracket to attach to muffler bracket on bike.

IMG_4844_001.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 05/09/20 at 18:16:25

I forgot to mention in my reply that the second baffle is a catalytic from Radiant Cycle at the end of the muffler. A larger on then shown in attachment.

catalytic_baffle.png
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 05/09/20 at 18:50:03

Good training and riding skills saves lives. Riding sober saves lives. Riding at times of day with good lighting saves lives. Not riding over your head saves lives. Good maintenance saves lives.

Loud pipes make you appear to be some type of a-hole biker.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #8 - 05/09/20 at 19:22:25

If the Dyna muffler is not loud enough for someone then that person is a pest. Relying on other people to see/hear you is not going to save your life. Instead of a SMIDSY, you'll get hit by a SMIDHY. FFIW I have a modulator on my headlight it's a passive safety feature not used often enough IMHO

Having said that, the Dyna is $700 a pair new but able to be found for under $50 in as new condition, ie never used. What's nice about it is that when cruising it's not obnoxiously loud but if you give it some wellie, it definitely pieces through the din.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 05/10/20 at 00:43:11

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/10/20 at 08:19:45

SoC wrote on 05/09/20 at 18:04:44:
Jason, I have one of these on my '03'. Have been riding with it since Oct. This muffler is sold under a couple different names, but VooDoo is the big purveyor of it. First thing I will tell you is, it is not a straight up fit. The whole thing does not align very well and if you look at pictures and videos a lot of folks don't attach it to anything beyond the header. That is not a good idea. You can finagle everything to get it to bolt to mounting bracket but it is not positioned very well.
Thanks a lot.. im stering on your picture, you got those blue/yellow/brown on your pipes.  I got an Leovince K02 siivertail system on the bike I bougt! It was loud, and a lot of backfire. In any case I put on the original last exhauste loud damper, and ride it last summer.
I got the original damper anużhow, I can put it on anytime, but the Leovince K2 silvertail slip on supose to fit on and dont need any carburator adjusments.

I will start by saying that the fast, quick fit up position, the turn out is basically perpendicular to the bike, hence a turn out. There are 2 things. One it doesn't look all that great and second it has some position issues.

I am the first guy to promote the concept of "Ride Safe, Ride Loud", and the thing is loud. But, if just installed as out of the box, it has a couple issues. First it makes the bike sound kind of like an obnoxious  lawn mower. Second, that sound is emphasised because it is being broadcast out at 90 degrees. So you are in effect projeting it out from the side of the bike.

How to address the sound and fit issues gets a little complicated. First it works better if you convert the mounting to a 3/4 turn down. Now you are not projecting the sound out to the side but rather down towards the road. Second you need to add a baffle or 2 to deepen and make the sound a little richer. When you install it and hear it on your bike it does not sound like it does in the you tube videos, phone camera's do not really capture good sound for things like this.

So now you are at the situation where the thing does not just fit up with a bolt holding it onto the bracket, or maybe nothing more then mounted to the header. So what do you do to make it a safe and complete install.

Well you need to get a connector between the header and it and you need to fabricate a mounting bracket/plate to attach it to the bracket on the bike. I did it by buying some exhaust pipe and having a muffler shop bend and expand it on the header end and I fabricated a stainless mounting plate to attach it to the bracket on the bike. To get the sound right I installed small baffles in it, one at the end of the connector to the header and another in the rear of the muffler.

With the sound right now I have still not figured the carb adjustments necessary to control the back fire it has created due to increased flow and reduced back pressure. The second catalytic baffle at end helped.

They are inexpensive so give it a try and if you are happy with sound, just bolt it up and ride. Mufflers really do need some shock mounting though and there is really not a way to effectively do that out of the box with what is provided. I will add the chrome one I installed began to blue imediately. Some could be attributed to the placement of a diversion baffle right in the front end of it.

I do have all the parts needed to do a mount like mine, I fabricated extras as I was doing it, as I have not only an '03' but a 2011 also. I will post pictures of the parts fabbed.

So now you have it on

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 05/10/20 at 09:47:21

There are clearly 2 cases where nothing but a loud pipe saved case 1. Someone from me, and case 2 me from someone.

Case 1. 20012-13. I am about to turn left in my car, its near about dark, when I look left and see a jeep with high beams on far far away. But I am hearing a loud twin cyl sound. I look to my right. Nothing. Look back left and the far away Jeep was a Harley with twin headlights and really close. And no high beams. He was just close. No loud pipe he'd be down and likely pretty badly hurt.
Case 2. 2018. I am riding down a frontage road. There's a temporary road sign that's 3' high and 3X the size of a normal sign, but I see a car at the stop sign waiting to turn left, but I am going too fast to stop. The car is a bit tentative in turning - likely he heard me, but the highway to my left was likely making him less able to pinpoint it. He moves 1/2 way in and slams the brakes and I see a look that says oh that was what the sound was. Ever since I hate those temporary stupid short and huge road signs. Nothing but sound saved me and someone from me.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jasongibby94
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/10/20 at 13:59:10

SoC wrote on 05/09/20 at 18:04:44:

So now you have it on

Thanks very much for this and pictures!!!

IP Logged
Jasongibby94
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/10/20 at 14:00:13

batman wrote on 05/09/20 at 17:56:32:
  If loud pipes save lives ? No ,common sense saves lives. I don't think Voodoo makes a good muffler ,they sell a fiberglass baffle, if I'm not mistaken ,and fiberglass cooks and blows out the tailpipe in short order leaving you to retune your carb because it's now a straight pipe. Loud makes you deaf, gives bad performance and bad mileage. I run an unmolested H-D with great results.

Well your 110% not a very nice person, and not a actual old school rider, clearly. Good luck chuck

IP Logged
Jasongibby94
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/10/20 at 14:01:50

srinath wrote on 05/10/20 at 09:47:21:
There are clearly 2 cases where nothing but a loud pipe saved case 1. Someone from me, and case 2 me from someone.

Case 1. 20012-13. I am about to turn left in my car, its near about dark, when I look left and see a jeep with high beams on far far away. But I am hearing a loud twin cyl sound. I look to my right. Nothing. Look back left and the far away Jeep was a Harley with twin headlights and really close. And no high beams. He was just close. No loud pipe he'd be down and likely pretty badly hurt.
Case 2. 2018. I am riding down a frontage road. There's a temporary road sign that's 3' high and 3X the size of a normal sign, but I see a car at the stop sign waiting to turn left, but I am going too fast to stop. The car is a bit tentative in turning - likely he heard me, but the highway to my left was likely making him less able to pinpoint it. He moves 1/2 way in and slams the brakes and I see a look that says oh that was what the sound was. Ever since I hate those temporary stupid short and huge road signs. Nothing but sound saved me and someone from me.

Cool.
Srinath.

I agree, ive grew up my whole life with ACTUAL riders, old school riders. And ive heard it for ever
Loud pipes saves lifes
Because sometimes the sound will save your a$$

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:54:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thoughts on after market muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.