Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31
Send Topic Print
2020 -- new Intel failures & successes (Read 12299 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2018 -- new Intel failures & sucesses
Reply #90 - 10/17/18 at 09:54:49

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-zen-2-could-be-five-times-better-than-ryze...

AMD Zen 2 could be five times better than Ryzen 2nd Generation CPUs

ARM Holdings has just released info on their planned roll outs for Rackspace and PC "made on ARM" technologies.  

REMEMBER, ARM HOLDINGS DOES NOT RELEASE INFORMATION ON ANY NEW ITEM UNTIL IT IS IN PRODUCTION AT ONE OF THEIR VENDORS.

There is another string to that bow, and that is AMD's Zen products which are approaching Intel's goodness levels right now.    5 times better is game over for Intel, as they are lying and struggling to show a dubious 15% improvement over the previous generation AMD product that is shipping right now.

Shocked    Shocked    Shocked   Shocked    Shocked    Shocked   Shocked    Shocked    Shocked   Shocked    Shocked    Shocked     it is in production, somewhere, boys and girls ......

AMD Zen 2 – AMD's rumored newest 7-nanometer architecture for processors – is still 3 months away from its expected CES 2019 reveal, but we’re seeing a slow trickle of details come out.

AMD Zen 2 will supposedly feature a 13% increase in instructions per clock (IPC), otherwise known as the instructions executed for each clock cycle. This is impressive because it’s a nearly five-times increase in IPC compared to the 3% increase we saw from the first Ryzen processors to Ryzen 2nd Generation, i.e. Zen to Zen+ architecture.

This latest rumor comes from Bits and Chips, an Italian technology site that claims to have gotten the information from an ”employee of a big company in the know,” who was the source of previous Intel Kaby Lake G leaks that proved to be true.

If the leaks are correct, this increase in IPC could be monumental even in the face of Intel’s rivaling Coffee Lake Refresh processors. Considering the jump from 14nm Zen chips to 12nm Zen+ chips was already impressive in our reviews of the Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 7 2700X, 7nm Zen 2 delivering almost five times the performance would be a game-changing improvement.

The only other small detail we may know about Ryzen 3rd Generation processors with Zen 2 is they could make 8-core and 16-thread processors commonplace – even for the lowest tier Ryzen 3 CPUs. Of course, however AMD’s 7nm processors shake out, you can expect us to report on them live from CES 2019, which takes place January 19th (3 months from now).

Shocked        

This is only 4 months away, boys and girls.    

It needs to be running right now at TSMC to be ready in 4 months time for the introduction at CES on the third week of January 2019 .

« Last Edit: 10/20/18 at 12:12:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 10/17/18 at 10:11:51

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13492/intel-to-split-manufacturing-group-into-...

Intel fires more upper level managers ...................

Intel’s delays in its 10nm process technology have been extensively discussed, although the reasons behind it have rarely been aired in public. The process technology was originally set to have been in producion in 2016, and although Intel officially ‘shipped for revenue’ an obscure 10nm part in 2017, we are still waiting on the 10nm process to hit the primetime. Normally we expect to see a new major manufacturing process every 18-36 months, however the difficulties Intel has faced by attempting to implement a raft of new features down at the 10nm level have proved bigger than expected.

After the abrupt retirement of Ahmed, the head of Manufacturing, the three groups split up will be headed up by different managers already at Intel:

Technology Development, to be led by CTO Mike Mayberry*
Manufacturing and Operations, led by Ann Kelleher
Supply Chain, led by Randhir Thakur

*Mike Mayberry was the head of Intel Labs. Rich Uhlig will be the new interim manager for Intel Labs.
 Anybody associated with the 10nm failure issues is being replaced completely or is being shuffled off to the side if they are still considered valuable to the company.

How the three groups will work together has not yet been determined. As this is still during the transition to 10nm, there could be additional challenges in splitting up the groups.

This is also on the back of Intel still not having a CEO, after Krzanich was removed earlier this year. Given Intel’s predicted six-month search for a new CEO, we should be hearing about this fairly soon.

Just as they did with Krzanich, Intel is getting rid of the top dog in Manufacturing and is restructuring under his old lieutenants yet again.

Stockholders are demanding ACTION, and that means "off with their heads" at Intel.   If the new manufacturing structure will not perform rapidly enough, then some more heads will roll very quickly.

Intel is still struggling to find a CEO to turn the place around and the headless organization is simply flailing around now, shite canning their senior management by knee jerk reaction in functional areas as various failures occur.

« Last Edit: 10/19/18 at 09:03:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #92 - 10/17/18 at 10:34:43

Thank you for providing the Microsoft EULA information.  We looked through multiple versions and can not find anything related to turning over control of any of my PC units to Microsoft.  I may be misunderstanding your statement.

"They will functionally sign over the rights to control their home computer"

My version states only this:

"The softwareperiodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

My IT guy stated:

"You don't have a "business" agreement with MS, you have bought all your PC units directly from manufacturers most of them Dell as personal machines. I assume this is because you purchase near triple the needed amount and end up giving them to staff or donate them. I don't see anything that currently allows MS to revoke your personal rights of control to your PC unless you choose to use their software and that would apply to software only, not the hardware. You will still have control of your home computer, it does not get nightly updates, it currently is not remotely controlled by MS. Just read each EULA as they release them and if one appears that states they may take over the operational procedures of the software without your consent then just disagree and we can go with alternate software."

As I stated before I may have misinterpreted what you meant when I was looking for something stating MS will have control over the PC.  It is interesting to me that some people are having the software on their machines altered nightly, with no control over the machine while I do not experience this.  

My purpose for looking into this is for education so I may formulate a best practice for future purchases and implementation.  This post is not mean to reflect a personal opinion or otherwise indicate that I have a preference for any hardware, software, business practice or combination of them.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #93 - 10/17/18 at 10:45:25

Eegore, take these two things to heart and string them together in your own terms.   I built this out of the sentences you just posted ..... its there, in plain sight.

"The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system (i.e. change your machine without your approval or knowledge) to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any  additional notice."

"I don't see anything that currently allows MS to revoke your personal rights of control to your PC unless you choose to use their software which then updates your machine automatically without any additional notice."

Try simplifying and fusing these sentences further into a very simple single English sentence, boiling away most of the Mickey speak legalese BS.   Add in one little new fact, you cannot turn off automatic updates on any consumer level Win 10 system any more.   You can click a box, but the updates simply do not stop rolling any more.

MS can and will update old Win7 machines now any time they think they need to ---- they have proven this to be true several times in the recent past.   MS never has had rights to do this, but they are still doing it anyway.

MS will now delete incompatible drivers and other forms of software as "incompatible" without any notice during the act of "providing you with these updates".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #94 - 10/17/18 at 11:19:36

Interesting, when I turned on my computer the other morning, a short message said something about "updates taking place" or similar, this despite the fact that I turned off Windows updates over a year ago. Have been predominantly, say 90% using Linux for over six months and the Windows system is Windows 7.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 10/17/18 at 11:25:12

JC.

Check your update box that you had turned off ....... betcha it is turned back on now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 10/17/18 at 14:45:52

I'm not questioning that MS provides updates and that those updates are required.  I was questioning how, through updates, they revoke the right, as an owner, to control my PC.  I would think that enforcement would be near impossible.

I understood that by accepting the MS EULA that I have given my approval and have knowledge of these updates, isn't that what the EULA is?  How can I agree to the terms then say MS updated my machine without my approval or knowledge, other than saying I never read the EULA and that would be on me.

Instead of cutting apart a sentence I prefer to use the entire thing:

"I don't see anything that currently allows MS to revoke your personal rights of control to your PC unless you choose to use their software and that would apply to software only, not the hardware."

So MS can only have control of their software and not the actual PC, and they have zero control over my rights, one of which is what I do with my PC.  It makes complete sense that they can control their software.  As I said before, I must have misinterpreted what you were saying.

Regarding the nightly updates stopping people from gaming, I also have not experienced this and was wondering if there's some sort of 72 hour continual gaming process I could implement to see when this happens.  Is it specific games, and is there a way to find out what time this happens?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 10/17/18 at 23:59:45

Sorry, not so.   When MS deletes a driver or a software as "obsolete or incompatible" during a nightly update and that hardware portion of your machine STOPS working, they have gone outside their software space and have removed functionality from your machine, once again without your consent or approval.

I have had to replace an old video card that required an ATI driver that MS would not leave alone.   I replaced the card rather than fight MS over it.

And yes, I understand that MS cannot have certain drivers operational on their machine because it conflicts with the general driver direction they took and the two paths are mutually exclusive.

I had an old label maker quit working for the same reason -- and I couldn't figure out why MS hated that driver sooooo much my wife's rarely used label printer would never work whenever she needed it.    I could get it to work again by reinstalling the software each time, but that was a pain in the ass so I bought my wife a new one.   The old label printer now lives and works on my Linux box just fine.   The old Linux driver still works great and so does the hardware.

The MS Automatic Updates system is "across the board" thing and can be very arbitrary sometimes.

The newest wrinkle on this situation is when MS develops a "generic" driver for a whole class of hardware that runs OK with most stuff and then uses the generic driver to replace your installed vendor specific driver as a convenience to themselves during updates and all your advanced fine control features simply stop working on your video card.

And yes, if you use MS OS and automatic update functionality you REALLY ARE actually sharing control of your machine with MS.

When MS reaches through the internet and manipulates JC's old Win 7 machine to suit themselves in fashions they could never do before it is MS clearly taking control of his hardware without permission.   How are they doing it?   Their software updates to all OS software all now have the generic abilities to start up a turned off but still connected machine (literally your machine does NOT really shut down now even if you shut it down, it remains "listening for updates" 24/7).   They just proved this to JC as he just told us about.

You may have approved this as part of an emergency update for security reasons that took place well over a year ago.   Or you allowed it to install as part of a MS emergency pushed Meltdown or Spectre security patch last year.   Or, since it became the MS generic default, it simply just got included as part of a vendor's update (yep, them authorized sources can give it to you too).

When you share control of your machine with MS and "authorized sources", you have done just that -- they can reach out and change the software, and by extension the shut down the hardware affected by that software.

Ownership is control, and legally you have shared control of your physical machine with Microsoft.   Microsoft has crossed the line a couple of times, most egregiously when they started deleting "pirated" software and "unauthorized softwares" from your hard drive.

Dual boot Linux systems with GRUB installed to control the boot up of your machine ran afoul of MS's ever changing automatic crank up stuff and GRUB kept getting deleted about every 3 months.   It was seen as "unauthorized" software.

The last case where MS very clearly went too far was several old style Antivirus softwares that would alert and quarantine any changed files when MS went into your machine at night fiddling.   The old Antivirus software models saw this as a virus attack and would alert and quarantine and do all the things they were built to do, and they would do it to the things Microsoft changed.   This was embarrassing to MS as MS was changing things that they had no business changing and the Antivirus was keeping a daily list of MS fiddles which then hit the internet as OMG issues.  So, over a year ago MS started quietly DELETING these old style Antivirus programs from your hard drive and telling you that only Windows Defender was "authorized".

Roll Eyes

===================================================

Eegore writes: "Regarding the nightly updates stopping people from gaming, I also have not experienced this and was wondering if there's some sort of 72 hour continual gaming process I could implement to see when this happens.  Is it specific games, and is there a way to find out what time this happens?"

Sorry, I have not a clue as to what you are specifically asking here.   There are a few generic causes though, as follows.

In general, a specific MS Windows version x.x is required for some games.   Sometimes a specific MS Direct X version x.x is required for some games.   The actual game requirements are listed on the outside of the box so you can avoid dropping bucks for a game your machine cannot run.  Generally all was kosher on both sides when you bought the game, but now MS has changed the OS environment while the game stays fixed as it was originally.

Sometimes games can STOP RUNNING if MS's nightly visitations changes a key driver to a version the game simply cannot deal with.   Or if the update moves where things are located, such as the directory where that particular game keeps its saved game stuff is "modernized" and renamed to something else.   The game then yields a "file not found" or a "directory not found" error.

Gamers share these issues with each other in the game forums, and they then post work-arounds for tweeking most of the easy to fix stuff.

« Last Edit: 10/18/18 at 09:46:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #98 - 10/18/18 at 00:36:47

OF, as you know I'm pretty much illiterate in these matters. I did check the Windows update box, and it would appear that the last updates were installed in August 2017. I have now instructed the computer not to look fror Windows updates (NOT RECOMMENDED), so I'll just have to see what happens. I also think I have resolved a scanning issue with Linux, which will help my use of Linux.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 10/18/18 at 00:51:56

JC, that's great.    

Soon enough you will begin to realize that you DON'T really need MS Windows at all.

Then, about a year or so later, you will reluctantly let MS go after some massive irritation when MS keeps on doing stupid stuff.

« Last Edit: 10/18/18 at 02:48:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 10/18/18 at 09:56:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgGS_zZfpT0    it is a YouTube, so click on it

Principled Technology is being lampooned here big time, and if you choose to take it at face value you can understand a little bit of what potentially went wrong with the Intel sponsored original testing.

In any case, it is funny to watch ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #101 - 10/18/18 at 10:08:24

I was under the interpretation that drivers are software and under the operating system's control.  Since I use an OS to access/modify drivers then I am agreeing to give the OS access, and control of those drivers.  I see how they can disable hardware this way.

The same for my files, aren't they accessed/opened etc. by the OS?  That gives MS control of how, if, when I can access those files through their OS is how I interpret it.  When I install Windows that is my gateway to files, drivers, games etc. and the EULA does seem to indicate that they can alter how or if I can access those files through their software.  I can see where this could be a problem for some people.

So I wonder where the software space exists exactly.  Where are the barriers?

So if Intel and MS are setup to modify a machine as necessary to make Intel work better within the machines parameters will that deter AMD users from using Microsoft?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 10/18/18 at 10:20:29

If they are casual Windows users, yes they will be discouraged by OS related issues sometimes and will sometimes blindly go buy a new set of brand new stock Wintel stuff just to keep it all from getting "too hard" in their minds.

By and large, the more advanced users appreciate the advantages of AMD and can overcome most of the dirty little Wintel tricks.

Multi-OS users (dual boot Linux users) literally buy and use whatever works best for them and their pocket book at that time.

As JC and I can attest, there isn't anything wrong with old hardware when you are running Linux it works both quick and just fine.   When you boot into Windows, the MS "old hardware molasses effect" comes back full bore and is quite noticeable when it hits you in the face.  

splash --- thick sticky molasses all over your face, screen and keyboard

Leveraging Linux, I can get "current performance levels" from a 15 year old $79 refurb Dell  Optiplex 760 Core Duo processor box.   I like that, it fits my wallet better so I can buy more guns and motorcycles.

===================================================

My wife did a new one earlier this week -- she came home all pissed off at the school's IT department for upgrades to Grade Book and Drop Box that had shut her out of most of her files at work.    I think they simply broke her Firefox in the upgrade, personally

She came in, dropped her brief case on my computer table and said "I need to use the good computer".   I got up, she sat down and proceeded to open up her school account on Firefox (which I only keep around as a back-up browser) where she had her Grade Book, Drop Box and her student listing in Turn It In already set up as bookmarks.    (She has used my machine before to do her grades because the monitor is a cheap 1080p 22" flat screen Samsung TV with lots of space for multiple windows being open at the same time)  

The only question she asked me was how to split screen her programs again (same as Windows, shrink the open window to half size and open a new window up and shrink it to half size and arrange them side by side using the drag bar).  

She then mashed and bashed for nearly an hour to get her stuff all done and her grades all turned in and then wanted me to take her out to dinner "somewhere fast and nice" because she was exhausted and hungry.

My wife is not slow witted.   She is driving and persistent and she has the WILL get it done.   But she was a seething angry woman that day.

During dinner she asked me why I always get the good computer.   I offered to give it to her that afternoon and have it set up on her desk by bedtime.   She said 'Yes' at first then backtracked because she knew I go would buy me a new machine and it would cost the household "thousands of dollars".   I offered to buy her the new machine and set it up on her desk within a week.   I said I would get her a nice "like-new" used Dell machine and not spend too much money on it.  She balked at the word used, then considered the situation a bit before answering.

She decided that as long as I was willing to give her the good computer any time she needed it, we could make do through her retirement with what we have.   She then said the most interesting thing, that NOBODY at school had a machine that was nearly as fast as my good computer.

Grin    

..... a 15 year old, Core 2 Duo processor Dell Optiplex 760 bought as a lease return for $79 on a Black Friday sale

« Last Edit: 10/19/18 at 07:03:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #103 - 10/19/18 at 07:06:52

I'd like to look at that computer when you are done with it someday.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 10/19/18 at 07:22:08

https://gizmodo.com/intels-5ghz-i9-processor-is-incredible-for-hype-and-pre-1...

Intel's 5GHz i9 Processor Is Incredible for Hype and Pretty Good for Computing, Too

by Alex Cranz, Gizmodo

The product categories in the CPU marketplace are rapidly eroding. Intel and AMD have spent the last year and a half furiously releasing new products, and tweaking their lines to take on the competition. In some cases, prices have been slashed. In others, it’s meant CPUs have had more cores or threads packed in. The result is a murky marketplace with no clear winners or losers, just a lot of CPUs that go real fast.

But this 5GHz i9 Processor is Intel’s first 5GHz CPU that anyone can buy. It’s not a limited edition. There are no hoops to jump through. It’s a nice 8-core CPU that’s almost twice the price of its competitor, the $280 AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. That product is an 8 core, 16 thread CPU as well, but its turbo clock speed is lower—just 4.3GHz, while the base clock speed is higher, 3.7GHz versus 3.6GHz. It’s a little more power hungry, being a 105W processor while the i9 9900K is a 95W processor.

(Then Gizmodo breaks down ALL the current processors from both camps, concluding that ALL of them can do all tasks tested including gaming with approximately the same perceived results to the Mark I eyeballs of the normal user.   SOLUTION:  You just pick using power draw and price and IGNORE all the hype that is being put out by both sides)

In fact the only place you really see the difference in performance for all these CPUs, which, again, range in price from $190 to $900, is in our two most demanding tests. In one we note how long it takes to render a 3D image in Blender. In the other we convert a large 4K video into 1080p. They’re both decently tasking processes that really take advantage of all those cores and threads I’ve mentioned. They’re the only place where you see any significant difference in all these CPUs. Here things play out very much as expected—an AMD CPU with a similar power requirement and the same core and thread count will beat the pricier Intel product.

So when it comes down to choosing what to buy you have to ask yourself two very basic questions: how much do I want to spend and what kind of speed do I need?

Because if you’re just looking for a CPU to play games on, then every single CPU I’ve mentioned, from the $190 one to the $900 one is going to play games pretty similarly. In our benchmarks using Civilizations VI and Rise of the Tomb Raider on a rig with an Nvidia 1080, with settings cranked to their highest and tested at 4K, we found the difference between the products almost negligible.  Your graphics card GPU matters much, much more.

So what do you buy? For most people, the latest i5 or Ryzen 5 will be enough, pick your poison based on your budget. But if you want Threadripper level rendering speeds in a chip that’s almost half the price the i9 9900K is a new and excellent option.

It may feel like it’s easy to figure out what CPU is right for you, but that couldn’t be further from the truth right now with all the hype flying around all the time.

REAL TAKE AWAY:  No matter your budget right now both AMD and Intel are both producing wicked fast CPUs right now.

« Last Edit: 10/19/18 at 15:56:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:20:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2020 -- new Intel failures & successes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.