Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Prayer Request -- Mike's Leg (Read 1396 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Bike Week Trip to Florida   March 8-17
Reply #45 - 02/22/18 at 15:39:57

Mike,

Daylight Savings time doesn't kick in until March 12th.

So, it is 6:30 at night on a clear night and it is just about dark outside.  

This is of concern to me as there is a half hour travel time between Ruby Tuesday and the campground and I don't really relish trying to pitch a tent in the dark.

Generally speaking, when we are traveling any distance we are between a half an hour and an hour later getting to the finish point than we originally thought, what with bathroom and gas breaks taking up some extra unplanned time.

If Dark is 6:30 and tent pitch/air bed time is a half an hour and the travel time to campground is 30-40 mins we should plan to finish eating by 5:15-5:30.   Not trying to rush dinner at what might be a crowded restaurant,  we really need to get there by about 4:45.  

This means planning to be there by 4:00-4:30 Florida time.    You would back off another hour due to time zone change and be aiming at 3:00-3:30 on your watch.

Should we get there a little early, we can always kill some time at a gun store or go pick up the few inevitable things that we didn't remember we were going to need at a local Dollar Store.

I can do this trip with only two gas stops so I will hit the road by 9:30 am on Thursday March 8th as I have no time zone change to deal with and I have a shorter travel time than you have.

« Last Edit: 02/25/18 at 04:59:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 02/22/18 at 22:03:04

Surprise, we are two weeks out now and the weather forecasts should be verging on real now.

Participants --- MM, Oldfeller, BadWolf, Ed L.

Tent has a spot still open, so we have room for one more.

It is a roving trip, several days at the Daytona Beach Area - several days at the Dupris Area - and a day arriving and a day leaving up at the north end at Ocean Pond Area.

CURRENT WEATHER PREDICTION IS FOR FLAWLESS BEAUTIFUL WEATHER
All mild drizzly weather for Weds has left the forecast at all three places.

Meet up area by Lake City Florida, near Jacksonville on drive in day.    Date THURSDAY March 8th

Meet up here at Ruby Tuesday at 4:00 to 5:00 PM, eat and then roll out to the campground.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ruby+Tuesday/@30.1779019,-82.6836701,1347m/...

https://freecampsites.net/#!96&query=sitedetails

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-city-fl/32055/month/332305?monyr=3/01/...

Daytona Beach area (Bike Week)   Dates March 9th-14th    (variable according to rain forecast and interest in the Bike Week events)    MM has reservations at a campground where we will stay for a day or three.    

http://bikeweekcampground.com/

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/daytona-beach-fl/32114/month/328173?monyr=3...

Down by DuPuis / Indiantown (main camping place)   Dates variable according to rain forecast and interest.   You could say it is a free backup for Bike Week rainout days.   Here is an overview of the campground.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_CJXDMflg

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/indiantown-fl/34956/month/15185_pc?monyr=3/...    

Wink

These perfectly beautiful weather results are really just too perfectly good to get all overly excited over, but they are there for your viewing pleasure ......     We know they shift some one week out, and become much more specific for days and amounts of precipitation during that last week.

« Last Edit: 02/25/18 at 22:53:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #47 - 02/23/18 at 09:07:38

Daytona Beach area (Bike Week)   Dates March 9th-14th    (variable according to rain forecast and interest in the Bike Week events)    MM has reservations at a campground where we will stay for a day or three.      

Daytona campground is : 9th + 10th .... and 16th.    The 16th being Bike Burn Night.  
Dupris campground is : 11th - 15th ... to include hog hunting and snake wrestling .  Grin
Ocean Pond campground is : 8th + 17th.   to include Ruby Tuesday's and Giant Bugger Wrestling ...  Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 02/23/18 at 21:01:54

You can tell Mike plans to practice making and breaking camp some, as when we go out West we will get to do that each and every day -- we need to get good at it I guess.

Flexible is good, if we want to go see something, we can go.

==================================================

Time to start final packing the bags and loading up the bike.   This is the part were I get it all (almost) but overpack like the dickens doing that.

This time I pack the stuff I will always use at each camp, drugs, meters & toiletries and I leave off little things that can be bought at any gas station as needed.

Trying to bring everything makes for a mess of confusion.  I always unload bags of stuff I never even went into.   It is a waste of space.  

Pack small, buy if needed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #49 - 02/23/18 at 22:21:57

I've got my "Pack" out and putting stuff in as I remember what to bring .   After more than a week of sticking stuff in it I'll be doing good to get it to close !    So , I'll end up pulling everything out to see what I can do without .  Roll Eyes

One duffle bag , and a tent.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 02/25/18 at 04:57:36

Did you want me to bring your ~200~ count lube & sized .3085" 192 grain lead bullets for the K-31?

Or wait and bring them whenever I am coming to your house?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #51 - 02/25/18 at 13:24:31

Don't bother bring them to Florida.   I've got plenty of the 150 gr. jacketed to load and we're not even loading them at full power.  

You must be leaving about daylight on the Barclounge .   I was hopeing to wait till the day warmed up a little but I'll plan on "suiting-up" and leaving early too.   Its a 10 hour ride and to get there by 4pm central I'd have to leave at 6 am .    Normally I get up at 7 and have coffee for 2 hours  Grin ..
Hopefully it will be a warm night on the 7th ...  Tongue

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 02/25/18 at 21:46:57

MIKE, READ ALL THIS, important place time changes

OK, I'll leave the lead for later.

Yeah, I see your 10 hour travel time estimate included the hour of time zone change and it pushes you way back into leaving in the pre-dawn chill.
Yuck.   Let's not do that.

Well then, the better option is to say in America's Best Inn on drive in day, a 2 star hotel with free breakfast for $49 (my treat).   This means you can leave at 8:00, travel in the daylight at a reasonable pace, stop and eat lunch and still be at the hotel by 6:00-7:00.   Plus you can recover better in a hotel bed rather than trying to camp on ride in day anyway.

Once again, cheap hotel means cheap hotel, but we have done that before and lived to tell the tale.

Hotel is here, right down the street from all the Eateries we talked about and literally two buildings down from Ruby Tuesday's on the same side of the street.    But now we can meet at the Hotel room and ride out and eat wherever we want to.    Go see a gun store, etc.   Screw around some in other words.    Relax, sleep comfortable ......   Recover nicely.  

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lynchburg,+TN/America's+Best+Inn,+339+SW+Comm...

OK, we have a reservation at the hotel, so you now you got an easy get up and travel day.    I will message you the hotel room # once I get it, or you can call me when you arrive at the hotel.

« Last Edit: 02/26/18 at 02:49:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 02/25/18 at 23:01:56

Surprise, we are two weeks out now and the weather forecasts should be verging on real now.

Participants --- MM, Oldfeller, BadWolf, Ed L.

Tent has a spot still open, so we have room for one more.

It is a roving trip, several days at the Daytona Beach Area - several days at the Dupris Area - and a day arriving and a day leaving up at the north end at Ocean Pond Area.

CURRENT WEATHER PREDICTION IS FOR FLAWLESS BEAUTIFUL WEATHER
If there is any minor drizzle predicted, it is on a day we aren't going to be there.

Meet up area by Lake City Florida, near Jacksonville on drive in day.    Date THURSDAY March 8th

Meet up at America's Best Inn, 339 southwest Commerce Street (2nd building down from Ruby Tuesday, same side of the road)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lynchburg,+TN/America's+Best+Inn,+339+SW+Comm...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-city-fl/32055/month/332305?monyr=3/01/...

NOTE:  we are not staying here, we are taking a hotel on ride in day
https://freecampsites.net/#!96&query=sitedetails

Daytona Beach area (Bike Week)   Dates March 9th-14th    (variable according to rain forecast and interest in the Bike Week events)    MM has reservations at a campground where we will stay for a day or three.    

http://bikeweekcampground.com/

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/daytona-beach-fl/32114/month/328173?monyr=3...

Down by DuPuis / Indiantown (main camping place)   Dates variable according to rain forecast and interest.   You could say it is a free backup for Bike Week rainout days.   Here is an overview of the campground.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_CJXDMflg

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/indiantown-fl/34956/month/15185_pc?monyr=3/...    

Wink

These perfectly beautiful weather results are really just too perfectly good to get all overly excited over, but they are there for your viewing pleasure ......     We know they shift some one week out, and become much more specific for days and amounts of precipitation during that last week.

« Last Edit: 02/26/18 at 05:43:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #54 - 02/26/18 at 08:32:28

OldFeller ...

I'm surprised you could find a room with-in 50 miles of Daytona on the 8th !
Roll Eyes

If you ain't paided yet ... I can set-up camp in the dark just fine ... It normally takes me an hour or so to set-up or take down.  

I'm OK with the phrase  "Best Value" on anything .     Especialy on things I'm only renting and don't get to keep !  Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 02/26/18 at 09:43:14

First night, sleep easy inside, get  up all rested, take a nice hot shower, eat a free meal, toss the crap into a single bag and load the bikes back up -- start out at a reasonable time and get a good leg up on the Hurley Burley.

It's not just for you, I am an old man all of a sudden now too -- wait until you see me.   Then you will appreciate the "self-serving nature of sleeping easy" that very first night.

We are supposed to relax and ENJOY it, you know ......       Wink

Plus, it was a really cheap room

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #56 - 02/26/18 at 16:46:32

I am an old man all of a sudden now too -  

Are you saying you done gone GRAY ?    I cut my Winter Beard off Sunday morning ... it was cut it or color it time ...  Roll Eyes

That's OK  , Getting old is still better than NOT getting Old !   And besides it don't always hurt to be old sometimes I feel pretty good !  Smiley

I kind of figure I've only got  about 20 years left before I retire to a 125cc little street bike  ...  Grin  so I'm needing to get to work on my bucket list trips these next 5 -10 years .

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 02/26/18 at 17:20:45

MMRanch wrote on 02/26/18 at 16:46:32:
I kind of figure I've only got  about 20 years left before I retire to a 125cc little street bike  ...  Grin  so I'm needing to get to work on my bucket list trips these next 5 -10 years .

That is why I have decided to get my last "heavy" bike in the next few months.  I hope I can ride it into my 70's - but how far into them is yet to be seen.  I am slowly working on a Savage based bike that will look like a 60's era British single and be suitable for an old fart to ride.  If I can't hold up a 350 pound bike......not sure what I could ride as modern bikes are all pretty heavy - even the small ones.  I suppose the little Suzuki TU250 at 310 pounds is a possibility.....I just wish it had more power - a 400cc version would be nice....so I suppose the Yamaha SR400 would be a better choice (about 360 pounds with fuel).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #58 - 02/26/18 at 19:20:00

I took my last Heavy Bike to town and hung a For Sale sign on it today.   I still remember when a Honda 305 was a BIG BIKE !  Roll Eyes    .... Then .... that "MONSTER" HONDA 450 TWIN .... Stole the Show !  Cool  What-a-Beast .  It must have been 45 + HP !!!

Grin

a Savage based bike that will look like a 60's era British single and be suitable for an old fart to ride.  

I'm wanting to see that !  Cool

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 02/27/18 at 02:08:49

Who was it that hand painted "Webley Vickers" on the tank of his debadged Savage?

Some bright boy needs to come up with a gold foil transfer stencil on flowing Victorian script  ......  

"Webley Vickers Racing"

.....  for use only on modified Savages

« Last Edit: 02/27/18 at 08:16:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 19:48:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Prayer Request -- Mike's Leg