Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Orange crap spraying from front pully (Read 503 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Orange crap spraying from front pully
Reply #15 - 02/12/18 at 18:43:03

OK, I checked the raised areas by dragging my fingernail across it and it feels pretty flat but I burnished it a bit with a round part of a spanner to be sure.

OK now I'm finding it quite impossible to get the pulley back on looks like I'm going to have to loosen the back wheel and then tighten it back up again, is this normal or is there some technique that I'm missing here.

thx.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #16 - 02/12/18 at 21:20:44

Maybe there is something going on there.  Me, I would have just sprayed it with brake parts cleaner, and never looked at it again. I'm not too old to learn.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/13/18 at 04:33:40

hotrod wrote on 02/12/18 at 21:20:44:
Maybe there is something going on there.  Me, I would have just sprayed it with brake parts cleaner, and never looked at it again. I'm not too old to learn.

The part you may be missing.....is that it is not normal for orange goo to be emitted from the pulley.  If the pulley nut is loose - oil can ooze out of this area....and more importantly the loose nut can allow the pulley to wobble on the splined shaft an ruin the shaft.  Most folks find it more within their mechanical skills to replace an engine - splitting the case and doing transmission work is not easy or cheap.

If you have any indication the pulley nut is loose - you need to address it right away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 02/13/18 at 05:52:56

The splines on the shaft and the pulley should be very square ,with sharp edges. wear from the pulley moving back and forth will make them more V shaped. if you feel ANY play ,I would suggest finding a product called Bearing Mount( Used to hold bearings in place when rebuilding the bottom end of auto motors) to put on the splines before  reassembly and a new washer to place under the nut( the edges on your washer look rounded-show movement- they should be sharp or they will allow the nut to move again). You might also buy a new shaft seal ($10) and the O-ring seal that goes inside the collar the seal rides on. when you finish ,it might be a good idea to paint a thin white strip across the pulley and nut ,so that you can see if ever loosens again .(line will shift).do it right,sleep at night, and never do it again(opinion) .Your wooden cheater won't cut it ,get a lengthof pipe at the hardware store about 6feet long. you can stop movement of the rear wheel by running along bar or pipe through thr rear pulley and across both sides of the swing arm, you can also just tighten the nut on rear brake cable and give your girl 's leg a rest, this will also allow you to not place the bike's wheel against a wall ,giving you room to use a cheater in a downward stroke using your body weight to achieve max torque on the nut.(use a breaker bar , a ratchet won't handle the torque)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #19 - 02/13/18 at 13:07:29

@batman,

there may possibly be a very slight amount of play, generally all the edges do appear to be sharp and in good condition but I guess it can't hurt to pack it with something but what exactly is the 'bearing mount' of which you speak. I can't find it here, is it some sort of heavy grease? What about the orange RTV I've seen on the Old Feller thread, is that good to do if there is a very tiny amount of play?

Regarding the oil seals is it simply a matter of pulling out the seal and o ring with a pick and putting the new ones in?

When you say the washer looks a bit rounded do you mean where the flat part is meant to be bent up against the nut? The washer on my bike is pretty thick, looks a lot thicker than the ones I've seen on other threads, appears to be hard to bend.

Also in the shot below, I have a blue dot painted on the oil seal and engine, why is this? is it simply to tell if the original seal has been replaced?

Does the collar [36] press against the bearing [31]

thx.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #20 - 02/13/18 at 13:55:43

Also I'll need to jack the bike up to loosen the rear wheel to get the pulley back on. I have a scissor jack and I was wondering the best spot to jack the bike. How about that strange plate under the bike? Or would the bottom of the swing arm be OK, it has a flat surface.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 02/13/18 at 14:08:48

Put it under the muffler support arm.
It's pretty stable under there and it leans over on the kickstand.

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #22 - 02/13/18 at 14:18:31

@verslagen1

OK will do. Do you reckon this is going to need a new seal or would the leak just have been because the bolt was not tight.

I'm finding it difficult to tell if there's any forward back play on the splines, if I do the nut up hand tight, then there's it feels like there may be very slight play, but I'm not sure as to what to do about this as I've seen RTV mentioned but then I've seen not to use that. Or maybe that was if the play was excessive.

So if there is very slight play because you can see from the photos that that the splines seem pretty good, should I use some RTV or not?

Also regarding the o ring part number 37 in my previous post, how do you get to that, because it seems that the spacer 36 does not just come out easily.

thx

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 02/13/18 at 14:36:11

Loctite- bearing mount stick-item #39105 ,RTV is to soft ,grease is the worst ,both will allow continued movement and wear.
    Your washer does not look stock. It should have square teeth inside that lock into the spline just as the pulley does ,so when the edge is bent up it doesn't allow any movement of the nut.
   the spacer is being held to the shaft by the o-ring , it fits in a groove cut inside the spacer , it may be better to pull the outer seal first.
    the blue dot is just a factory inspection mark ,their found all over the bike .

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 02/13/18 at 14:53:58

correction Loctite item # 39150

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #25 - 02/13/18 at 15:08:38

@batman,

I can't find that stick here in Australia but I have found this...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Loctite-620-Retaining-Compound/323016078577

Does this look like the right stuff?

http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802627584001

I've ordered the seal and o ring as well as a new washer, hopefully the new washer will be thinner because I can't see how I'm going to bend the current one in that small space it's so thick.

What is the best way to get the oil seal out. I have a pointy pick tool but this seal is hard to budge.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 02/13/18 at 17:49:55

To bend the washer....I find it easiest to use the big Channel Lock pliers. The photo you took of your spacer shows it was not bent nearly far enough...it should be flat against side of the nut.

The metal spacer behind the pulley (on the shaft) just pulls out....it is not attached with anything but may be snug.

When the sleeve is out - the oil seal should be easy to pry out. (Once you have removed the screws that hold in the seal retainer).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #27 - 02/13/18 at 18:33:11

@Dave, OK thanks for that info, got the sleeve and seal out. The o ring in the sleeve looked in poor condition, and the oil seal had welded a little bit to the sleeve too, not a lot but I had to scrape it off with a bit of superfine 00 wet and dry.

Should have all the seals tomorrow so now I just have to find out if the Loctite 620 retaining compound is what I should put on the spline. But I'm also a bit worried that this will make it very difficult to get the pulley off again.

Maybe I should just leave that off? How much clockwise and counter clockwise lash should there be when the pulley is on the splines and the bolt is done up hand tight? Seeing as it's metal to metal there has to be some lash surely?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #28 - 02/13/18 at 18:37:53

Don't call him surely!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #29 - 02/13/18 at 18:44:51

I see the stick is also labeled 609

http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802648195073

At any rate both the 609 and 620 are anaerobic setting with 0.12mm gap so they don't look like the right stuff.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 08:15:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Orange crap spraying from front pully

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.